How necessary is it to shadow a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying DO for the first time this cycle after an okay MD cycle last year that resulted in 2 waitlists but no acceptance. I've shadowed 2 MD's for a combined 25 hours (1 cardiologist, 1 surgeon). I live in a fairy small town, and don't have access to many DO's. I've tried using what connections I have in the area, but it's not looking good.

How important is DO shadowing/ a DO LOR for my application to be successful? I have a prehealth committee LOR right now. My top choices are PCOM and LECOM. cGPA 3.88, MCAT 505. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are you going to elaborate on why you want to be a DO specifically if you have no experience shadowing them at all?

It's pretty important because most primaries/secondaries/interviews will ask why DO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying DO for the first time this cycle after an okay MD cycle last year that resulted in 2 waitlists but no acceptance. I've shadowed 2 MD's for a combined 25 hours (1 cardiologist, 1 surgeon). I live in a fairy small town, and don't have access to many DO's. I've tried using what connections I have in the area, but it's not looking good.

How important is DO shadowing/ a DO LOR for my application to be successful? I have a prehealth committee LOR right now. I don't think I'll be able to get letters from the MDs I shadowed, simply because that was a long time ago. My top choices are PCOM and LECOM. cGPA 3.88, MCAT 505. Thanks!

Do your research on the profession to be able to have an answer to why DO? Other than "because it is holistic".

I did not have a DO letter and I got 5 acceptances this cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
There are some schools that will require a letter from a DO, which generally you obtain after shadowing. So, if you're not planning on shadowing a DO, be sure to research which schools require a DO letter for acceptance.

How are you going to elaborate on why you want to be a DO specifically if you have no experience shadowing them at all?

It's pretty important because most primaries/secondaries/interviews will ask why DO

This sort of question can be answered even if someone has not interacted with a DO.

OP, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
I talked for like 10 minutes at my interview about shadowing and i only shadowed for like 100 hrs total. I learned that much stuff

Not shadowing a DO may not hurt you. But shadowing and getting a letter may have an added boost.

At some schools it's considered a secret handshake and is essentially mandatory.

Ok so what I've gathered: cross reference my school list with the school's specific requirements. I don't mind moving out of state so that shouldn't be a problem, I can just apply to schools that don't require DO shadowing.

As for why DO, for me I don't prefer MD or DO, I just want to be a doctor, and DO will get me there. MD doesn't ask "why MD", it asks "why medicine". I'm interested in pediatrics, which DOs are typically very successful in, is that a good reason?

Do your research on the profession to be able to have an answer to why DO? Other than "because it is holistic".

I did not have a DO letter and I got 5 acceptances this cycle.
That's awesome! Which schools did you get accepted at?

GA-PCOM, LECOM-B, LECOM-SH, UIWSOM and UNECOM
Omg that's amazing! So PCOM and LECOM don't require DO shadowing then. That makes me very excited because those are my top 2 choices. Where did you end up choosing to attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg that's amazing! So PCOM and LECOM don't require DO shadowing then. That makes me very excited because those are my top 2 choices. Where did you end up choosing to attend?

I think there's a big difference between not having a DO letter and not having any DO shadowing. He may have had some DO shadowing for talking points, but please correct me if I'm wrong @allanMED15

I think there's a big difference between not having a DO letter and not having any DO shadowing. He may have had some DO shadowing for talking points, but please correct me if I'm wrong @allanMED15
I just checked LECOM's website, and it doesn't say any shadowing is required.

Keeping it simple: It's necessary to shadow the DO. What's not necessary is the LOR.

I would recommend checking out the official directory for osteopathic physicians on the AACOM website. They can direct you plenty of physicians around you to shadow.

Ok so what I've gathered: cross reference my school list with the school's specific requirements. I don't mind moving out of state so that shouldn't be a problem, I can just apply to schools that don't require DO shadowing.

As for why DO, for me I don't prefer MD or DO, I just want to be a doctor, and DO will get me there. MD doesn't ask "why MD", it asks "why medicine". I'm interested in pediatrics, which DOs are typically very successful in, is that a good reason?

There's a sizeable portion of people in osteopathic medical school today who had that exact same mentality. They wanted to be doctors regardless of the letters after their name and DO school would get them there. But you can't say that. You have to play the game. It's not like you make things up, you just have to fit your personal goals and motivations into the osteopathic model.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest even calling DO's office and even asking if you could stay one day for a few hours, state your applying to osteopathic schools and you just want to observe. When i couldn't find a DO to shadow, i did this and a lot of the doctors who weren't interested in allowing me to "shadow" allowed me to come in. I think even having 10 hours or 5 hours would help on the application.

It really doesn't hurt to have one. It shows you went above and beyond to actually invest in the field. go to doctorsthatdo.org and find your nearest and youngest practicing (fresh off residency) physician / surgeons and just be honest with them about your intentions and that you want to get to know the field and you would really appreciate it if they would write you a letter. A lot of them already know that and are actually more than willing.

I believe VCOM requires one after a certain time period after acceptance. Someone correct me If I'm wrong.

There is a big difference for sure. But in my case, I didn't have either. If you can articulate what has brought you to apply to their school, you will be fine, assuming everything else is in order.

Any tips for LECOM-B specifically? I love the idea of PBL.

In the group interview, be sure not to take over the conversation. Work off of what your group members say and always be sure to add something to the discussion. That is really what they want to see. That you can work effectively in a group. Also you should know what really sets PBL apart from a more traditional curriculum.

I will be attending UNECOM!

In the group interview, be sure not to take over the conversation. Work off of what your group members say and always be sure to add something to the discussion. That is really what they want to see. That you can work effectively in a group. Also you should know what really sets PBL apart from a more traditional curriculum.
What does PBL stand for? Something-based-learning?

Keeping it simple: It's necessary to shadow the DO. What's not necessary is the LOR./
Not true at all. You just need to show that you know what the life of a physician is like, usually through interacting with them and patients in some way. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a DO.

Obviously, it'll help. But if you have literally no willing DO to shadow in a 20 mile radius, then try to email and get in touch with a DO elsewhere, and by email/phone/Skype, see if you can talk about medicine, 'whole body' patient care, OMM, etc. The whole point is you want to show you are aware of osteopathic medicine, and prove why you're interested in it, even if your underlying intention is to simply get into any US medical school.

Obviously, it'll help. But if you have literally no willing DO to shadow in a 20 mile radius, then try to email and get in touch with a DO elsewhere, and by email/phone/Skype, see if you can talk about medicine, 'whole body' patient care, OMM, etc. The whole point is you want to show you are aware of osteopathic medicine, and prove why you're interested in it, even if your underlying intention is to simply get into any US medical school.
Good idea. I probably could set up a meeting. The DOs I talked to were only opposed to shadowing because of HIPPA laws.

i got in to kcu without shadowing a DO, i did work with a couple MDs though. I think the biggest thing is that you get some sort of physician exposure under your belt. Obvs DO is best when you apply to osteopathic schools, but MD is better than nothing.

Also, all DO schools fall on a spectrum of how closely they adhere to old osetopathic philosophies and practices. So at a school like Touro-CA, a DO letter is much more important to your application than to a school like KCU for for instance. The reason for this is that Touro instills in its students more of the classic osteopathic tenets. KCU falls much closer to MD schools in their teaching practices and accordingly doesn't put as much emphasis on having a DO letter

i got in to kcu without shadowing a DO, i did work with a couple MDs though. I think the biggest thing is that you get some sort of physician exposure under your belt. Obvs DO is best when you apply to osteopathic schools, but MD is better than nothing.

Also, all DO schools fall on a spectrum of how closely they adhere to old osetopathic philosophies and practices. So at a school like Touro-CA, a DO letter is much more important to your application than to a school like KCU for for instance. The reason for this is that Touro instills in its students more of the classic osteopathic tenets. KCU falls much closer to MD schools in their teaching practices and accordingly doesn't put as much emphasis on having a DO letter

Do you know which schools are less traditionally osteopathic?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you know which schools are less traditionally osteopathic?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can tell you about a few schools, but I have doubt if you made a post on the pre-DO forum the collective knowledge of everypne here would answer that question in less than 24 hours. I'll even contribute to it myself, I'd encourage you to do that.

I know that schools like Touro-CA, AT Still and PNWU are very osteopathic oriented whereas I believe schools like Marion, KCU and PCOM are much less so. I cannot speak to all schools though, which is why you should ask this question and see what others say