How much Zolpiden is ok to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1dayatatime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Sleep Docs,

Ms2 here about to take STEP 1 in less than a month. I am terrified that I won't be able to sleep the night before my exam and be super tired. I'm very easily stressed out so I want something that will knock me out FOR SURE. I have a history of trouble sleeping all night since med school started just b/c I'm anxious about tests. I talked to my Primary Care doctor who prescribed me 5 mg of Zolpidem and it worked amazingly! I had no next day grogginess and it really knocked me out (ataxia and all) but that was exactly what I needed. Unfortunately it only worked less than 5 times spread out over a semester (I have never even taken them back to back but the liver enzymes kicked in ugh). I asked my doctor for 10 mgs and she gave it to me. Since I take these only when I'm about to take a test the next day, I took a 10 mg and it worked amazingly again. The exact 2nd time I took 10 mgs it failed. Now that was 6 months ago and I haven't touched Zolpidem since but I REALLY need to MAKE SURE it will work for me the night before Step 1. PLEASE help me here?

Other history:
I took OTC Diphenhydramine several times for 2 years, built up tolerance, don't like it as much as Zolpidem

Tried Ramelteon last night, didn't knock me out. I wasn't able to sleep at all and now I feel like crap and wasn't even able to complete a full practice test I had scheduled. UGH.

Been trying "natural" melatonin at 5 mg and 3 mgs off and on for the past month. Seems to work for me but it's not strong enough to knock me out if I have a high stress level (only works on the every day-nothing major going on days if that makes sense).

please can i have some advice? Should I try 15 mgs of Zolpidem at one time? I'm a girl so I know that goes against the new FDA guidelines but those are just for the people who are new users as far as i understand.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.