How much does podiatry teach us about basic healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Little things like
If a family member gets a cold will you be able to prescribe the basic non over the counter medications
Or if someone sprains their leg on a hiking trip

A bigger one is when people get heart attacks on planes and the air hostess asks for a doctor on board.

Members don't see this ad.

Little things like
If a family member gets a cold will you be able to prescribe the basic non over the counter medications

A bigger one is when people get heart attacks on planes and the air hostess asks for a doctor on board.

Scope of practice.
Schools that have curriculum along with DO students will be pretty well prepared. You will probably also have a huge learning curve come residency.
However this should not gloss over the fact of what your scope of practice is.

In an emergency setting such as a plane ride however, I am not sure what the legal ramifications are.
Even a high schooler with a CPR license can administer basic emergency functions.

For little things, you can prescribe anything you want, but if a family member is really sick, I wouldn't try to be a hero and prescribe something to see if it works, I would tell them to see their PCP.
For emergency situations where you are a bystander, I believe there are good samaritan laws that protect you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't prescription privileges of a Pod dependent on which state they are practicing in?

In NY, they can prescribe almost everything with the exception of certain substance abuse/pysch drugs and this makes complete sense to me because a Psychiatrist will probably not be prescribing antifungals.

Little things like

All of the schools teach at least the common stuff for the systems and regions outside of our scope, since we'll be doing for instance internal medicine and general orthopedics rotations in residency and are held to the same standards as the MD and DO residents.

The curriculums are just light primarily on psych and OB/GYN, which maybe you can get somewhere like Western if you really wanted to.

As far as a leg sprain, what kind of sprain are we talking? I mean you'll definitely be well versed in anatomy and treatment of the entire lower extremity, so that may not be a good example.

There have been plenty of threads on here before about DPMs prescribing for family members or friends. You have unlimited prescription rights in most states, just keep it basic and don't do anything stupid. Also most pods say keep a chart on anyone you prescribe for no matter how simple.

As far as the plane thing, I remember Dr Harkless telling us about a time he had to care for someone on a plane because he was the only doctor. I certainly wouldn't go looking for these situations though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Well if it's United they'd probably just eject the guy before asking for a doctor

(im sorry i had to XD )

Reactions: 4 users