How much does having a low GPA affect your chances? Mistakes from 4 years ago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princesspeach2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked somewhere, I couldn't find anything where someone posted something that related to my situation. This is something I've been curious about now that I am considering a career in medicine as a doctor.

From my understanding, your medical school admission gpa is calculated using any grades from all your transcripts, despite how long ago you attended that college, correct?

My situation/history (summarized)
-Graduated HS in 2011 with a 4.0 GPA (career goal at time was to become veterinarian or pediatrician)
-Started college, failed freshmen first semester (due to immaturity, family issues, social anxiety, being lazy, not prepared for college, etc.) I received 0.0 GPA in all of my 13 credit hours, and only got a S in one class worth 1 credit (5 credit hours was a bio class, 5 credit hours was a chem class)
-Signed up for 12 credit hours 2nd semester (four 3 credit classes), ended up withdrawing before deadline
-Dropped out of school, worked full time from 2012-2016 in food service as shift lead
-Fall of 2016 enrolled in community college (due to wanting to save $$$) currently enrolled in an intro biology class, english class, psych, and algebra class (total of 16.5 credit hours). So far, have received between 93-100% on any test or assignment for all classes-changed study habits, join study groups, make my own study guides, go to office hours, putting in far more effort and time to studying then HS or college 4 yrs ago. Complete 180 from 4 yrs ago.
*Currently volunteering 4 hrs/wk at hospital---applying for selective internship hospital volunteer program where you actual get patient contact
*Currently working 16 hours/wk as a shift lead
*Volunteer with 3 other organizations (one feeds food to homeless people 2x a month, other provides bday celebrations for homeless children, one is only on holidays and hosts events for sick children)
*Plan to start shadowing physicians (ideally a pediatrician, and a couple other fields) this summer- to make sure I understand what being a doctor really is like
-Plan to major in biology (only subject I find interesting and want to study), and transfer to a 4 yr california state university rather than a uc (due to $$ and cost of housing/lack of housing near ucs near me)
*Have to complete basic medical school requirements at CC before I can transfer to a university due to my choice of biology as major (2 semesters bio, 2 semester chem, 2 semester physics with lab, 2 semester calculus)
~Plan to take upper level biology courses (genetics, etc.) at university to offset having to take science courses at cc and prove I can handle rigorous courses
~Plan to do something with research at university

Basically, let's say I keep my upward trend of good grades and manage to get a 4.0 gpa every semester (for calculation purposes) from now until I graduate college in 4 yrs. Even though I have done well/will continue doing well since my bad freshmen year, just from messing around with GPA calculators, the highest possible average GPA I would be able to get with an additional 8 semesters of classes would be around a 3.4 I think it was, and for a science GPA, it would be around a 2.6 if I recall correctly.

And let's say (for argument sake) I manage to get a 36 on my mcat. Wouldn't the high mcat but low gpa be a negative in the eyes of admission people.

Am I correct so far in doing these calculations? Would that low gpa automatically disqualify me, or would the admissions people look at my transcripts and see the upward trend and not let that affect? Basically, I'm wondering if I would get rejected just based on the low gpa, without anyone looking at anything else.

I'm not trying to get ahead of myself or anything, I know I have a long road til then. I really am just curious and I just was wondering in case I should look at post-bac or master programs in the future (which would play a role in deciding which university I transfer too) or something to help repair my gpa.

Thank you for reading this!

Just like to reiterate, I know this is far far far into the future, just something I've been thinking about and wanting to plan for/know. I like to plan things. Right now though, my focus is keeping stellar grades (now that I have fixed what went wrong last time, I'm confident I can do well academically), and gaining experience in the medical field so I can learn more about what it is like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the question might depend more on what US school you want admission into. If your answer is "Whichever", then based on GPA alone, Howard University has the lowest GPA entrances at a cGPA [10th percentile] = 3.05, and a sGPA [10th percentile] = 2.81. Just a fact to put it into perspective. The sGPA might be the most condemning factor. However, a 3.4 GPA, 36 MCAT, compelling narrative of self-improvement + massive comeback, outstanding ECs? It would be disheartening to hear that that isn't enough.

In the very least, you got my vote. Lol Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Not gonna lie, post was too long to read but I think youll be fine if you really show improvement. After all my improvement I was still well below the bottom 10th percentile for all my MD schools. So far Im feeling pretty good (post interview) and the gpa never came up, even tho I explained it in my app. You gpa is not gonna keep you out if you make sure everything else is top notch.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OK just skimmed again and noticed you said the highest sgpa you can get is a 2.6. In reality its unlikely that you will get a 4.0 straight from here on out...life happens. I calculated my gpa like that as well and yea...I didn't get a 4.0 for the next X amount of semesters. The 3.4 is fine. That sgpa will kill you tho. I would continue forward then when you finish you will have to do a post bacc. I believe a year ago my sgpa was like a 2.75 or so. I did a DIY post back and did well. I think it worked lol. Just don't screw up on the MCAT/Post bacc. But yea, I wouldn't apply with a sgpa of 2.6. Just finish school and complete a DIY post bacc.

Given that you need about 105 more credits to graduate, you can remediate your sGPA by taking more science classes. Every elective should be biology, chemistry, physics or math. Your sGPA is not just the average for bio I and II, chem I and II, O-chem I and II and physics I and II but for every course in BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, math).

You shouldn't need a post-bac when at this point you have 3.5 years of undergrad ahead of you. Also, your age will be clearly visible on your application and you will need to complete an IA (institutional action) owning the fact that you were on academic probation in your first semester (you were, weren't you, for flunking all your courses, usually in undergrad, anyone with a GPA < 2.0 is on academic probation?). When your application comes to the attention of the adcom, it will see that your GPA had a strong upward trend and I think you'll be judged by your most recent 4 years, rather than what you accomplished as a college freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you kindly for all the feedback, it is very much appreciated!

@zurc2014 I do realize that is is highly unrealistic to get a 4.0 all semesters, I was just saying for calculation purposes as that would give me the absolute highest possible grade. While I am aiming for all A's, I'm more focusing on actually learning the material, and putting forth 100% effort in all classes. It's amazing how working in a food service job for four years has now given me the motivation to succeed academically.

@LizzyM Thank you for breaking that down for me. I had not realized it was a calculation of physics, biology, chemistry, and math courses. I will be sure to take only BCPM electives outside of my required humanities and arts electives.

You are correct, I was on academic probation, and then suspension by the end of the semester (wasn't kicked out of school, but loss financial aid funding).

Thank you again :)

Think about going into a different field

Hi everyone, quick question and update.

I'm at the crossroads of choosing whether I want to try to get into UCLA, or go to CSULA instead. The school I aim for will determine the sequence of physics classes I take.

I know UC's are looked upon more favorably than CSU's, especially since I am taking prereqs at a CC, but I'd rather go to CSULA because it's close (I could stay at my current apt, UCLA is 1 hr bus ride away), cheaper, and I just prefer the smaller campus feel of it. Is that a terrible idea?

My progress/changes so far:
1st semester-4.0 GPA (95-100%)
-took 13.5 units (dropped a psych class because the prof was bad, had an A in the class when I withdrew, retaking now with better/challenging prof.)
-worked 15-20 hrs/wk

2nd semester- on track for 4.0 this semester (just got 94%+ on my midterms)
-taking 16 units (5 classes)

Quit my job at the end of the 1st semester, but will most likely be getting a part time job again due to finances.

Thank you :)

If I were you (and I'm not) I wouldn't have taken a W in a course that I was making an A in just because the professor was "bad". Given your history, that does not look good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
If I were you (and I'm not) I wouldn't have taken a W in a course that I was making an A in just because the professor was "bad". Given your history, that does not look good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This. You had an A and opted for a more "challenging" professor? Man this is a game....Rack up as many As as you can. There will be plenty of hard classes/professors standing between you and your dreams. Don't add to it.

Reactions: 3 users
This. You had an A and opted for a more "challenging" professor? Man this is a game....Rack up as many As as you can. There will be plenty of hard classes/professors standing between you and your dreams. Don't add to it.

It wasn't so much because it was easy, more that it was very frustrating because his teaching style was terrible and I spent many hours of useless studying and felt on pins and needles throughout the class.

I realize now, yes, I should have just stuck with it since I would of ended up with an A. I also realize that I will have classes much worse than this. My counselor told me it would be best to drop it and retake it with someone else, and my biology professor said that while you should never drop a class because it is too hard, that you should also drop a class if the professor isn't teaching you, so I blindly took their advice. I regret it, but now I'm just making the best of it by getting a 4.0 in it this semester.

It actually wasn't until speaking to my current psych professor that I found out how bad W's look.

I currently have the most ridiculous excuse for an English class (it is pretty much a workshop for my professor, we did nothing but sit there and listen to her go on and on about her poetry, read her poetry to us, tell us what she *thinks* the meaning of her poetry is, her political views, and show us her website and youtube pages the last unit), but I not going to withdrawal from anymore classes.

Last edited:
Comes up all the time. I cannot understand why anyone would give a pass to someone with poor grades...wait, DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Quick question and another update.

I have now taken a year of classes at my CC, with a 4.0 GPA, no med school prereqs yet, all prereqs to the prereqs/GE. In the process of getting into the honor's program.

I still have 2.5 years of classes to take before transferring (taking 15-16 units per semester- I will have spanish 1-4, calculus, calculus-based physics, biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry completed).

I am back to working approx 25 hrs/wk, and volunteering with 3 organizations.

For transfer schools, I'm looking at CSULA, UCLA, and USC now (have to stay in Los Angeles area). I am planning to apply to all 3 when the time comes given how competitive it is.

I'm curious. I know CSULA isn't recommended, but any recommendations for UCLA versus USC and vice versa in terms of what medical school admin people would think is "better"? I know USC is a lot more expensive, but I'll be 26 (independent) by the time I apply, and don't make a lot myself.

I like USC because it is close to my home (can take bus), they offer a minor in health care studies, and I like the variety of science/biology majors to choose from. Con is obviously the cost.
For UCLA, I am interested in it because it is cheaper, and they have the happy feet clinic for homeless people. I really want to get involved with that, but it is only for UCLA students. Con, further away, so I would have to drive there. I also like that they are on the quarter system, because despite the quick pace, you can take more classes.

My question, for UCLA, I have been looking at marine biology as a major, as I love the ocean/marine life/ecology, and the marine bio quarter research trip they offer sounds amazing. Would that be an unwise decision, as I would have to take ecology/similar courses, which are seen as GPA "fluffers"? I would still take biochem, genetics, and any other similar classes I could fit in. If not marine biology, then I am looking at MIMG or regular biology instead.

Thank you kindly!

Last edited:
I'm curious. I know CSULA isn't recommended, but any recommendations for UCLA versus USC and vice versa in terms of what medical school admin people would think is "better"?
On the contrary, it can be a great choice as long as you perform well.

On the contrary, it can be a great choice as long as you perform well.

Oh okay, I was under the impression (from reading other threads on here) that I should go for a UC or USC since I will be a CC college transfer. That is good to know, thank you for clearing that up.

Comes up all the time. I cannot understand why anyone would give a pass to someone with poor grades...wait, DO.
They obviously turned themselves around, which both MD and DO schools love. There's no reason to be so snarky.

Not gonna lie, post was too long to read but I think youll be fine if you really show improvement. After all my improvement I was still well below the bottom 10th percentile for all my MD schools. So far Im feeling pretty good (post interview) and the gpa never came up, even tho I explained it in my app. You gpa is not gonna keep you out if you make sure everything else is top notch.

OK just skimmed again and noticed you said the highest sgpa you can get is a 2.6. In reality its unlikely that you will get a 4.0 straight from here on out...life happens. I calculated my gpa like that as well and yea...I didn't get a 4.0 for the next X amount of semesters. The 3.4 is fine. That sgpa will kill you tho. I would continue forward then when you finish you will have to do a post bacc. I believe a year ago my sgpa was like a 2.75 or so. I did a DIY post back and did well. I think it worked lol. Just don't screw up on the MCAT/Post bacc. But yea, I wouldn't apply with a sgpa of 2.6. Just finish school and complete a DIY post bacc.
You got into a UT school with a low GPA? That's awesome!!! ( Texas are GPA ******)

They obviously turned themselves around, which both MD and DO schools love. There's no reason to be so snarky.
That's the user who applied as a nontrad and then made a long rant after they didn't get in. They occasionally make useless comments warning people against pursuing medicine.

I suspect their wonderful personality shone through in interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You got into a UT school with a low GPA? That's awesome!!! ( Texas are GPA ******)
Yea they are GPA ****** for sure. No doubt. I got nooooo love from TCOM and others lol

Yea they are GPA ****** for sure. No doubt. I got nooooo love from TCOM and others lol
That's so stressful! If you have a steep UW trend a low GPA is almost forgiven even at some top schools, but TX is luck " lol **** no".
I'm glad you got in!

I like USC because it is close to my home
*gasp*
I live so close that I can walk there!

As for:
I would have to take ecology/similar courses, which are seen as GPA "fluffers"?
Total 6 courses and 2-3 field work. 6 Ecology courses along the line of:
109. Introduction to Marine Science (and Lab) / 101. Marine Botany. / 105. Biology of Invertebrates / 116. Conservation Biology / 121. Molecular Evolution / One Elective (Biochem is recommended) + 12 units field work

I picked the first course that comes up on each category of the Marine Biology major requirement sheet.

It's true that Goro said this:
Ecology and Botany are fluff.
However, I think that it's fine as long as you are interested in it and it is your major requirement.
Also, you should take other Biology like these while fulfilling your upperdivision requirement.
Anatomy/ Physiology, Histology, Pharmacology/ Biostats/ Medical/Molecular Genetics or Molecular Biology/ Cell Bio /Biochem/ Immunology/ Microbiology/ Pathology/ Neuroscience

Also, look into doing a double major! There are so many Life Science/Bio majors at UCLA that you can do Double majors with (which means that you've already fulfilled their requirement). Then you can take those courses that Goro has mentioned.

Last edited:
*gasp*
I live so close that I can walk there!

As for:

Total 6 courses and 2-3 field work. 6 Ecology courses along the line of:
109. Introduction to Marine Science (and Lab) / 101. Marine Botany. / 105. Biology of Invertebrates / 116. Conservation Biology / 121. Molecular Evolution / One Elective (Biochem is recommended) + 12 units field work

I picked the first course that comes up on each category of the Marine Biology major requirement sheet.

It's true that Goro said this:

However, I think that it's fine as long as you are interested in it and it is your major requirement.
Also, you should take other Biology like these while fulfilling your upperdivision requirement.

Also, look into doing a double major! There are so many Life Science/Bio majors at UCLA that you can do Double majors with (which means that you've already fulfilled their requirement). Then you can take those courses that Goro has mentioned.

Oh my golly thank you for your comment! It is very helpful.

As for double majoring in life science/bio, I thought you couldn't double major in two similar sciences? Or maybe that was minoring in a science as a science major? I'll have to look it up again. I know you can't be a marine biology major, then minor in another form of biology, as I looked into that as well. I'm certain I read it somewhere on UCLA's website or a pdf I downloaded. Any recommendations for a good double science major pairing? If you don't mind me asking, do you go to UCLA yourself? Thank you again for your advice.

Last edited:

As for double majoring in life science/bio, I thought you couldn't double major in two similar sciences? Or maybe that was minoring in a science as a science major? I'll have to look it up again. I know you can't be a marine biology major, then minor in another form of biology, as I looked into that as well. I'm certain I read it somewhere on UCLA's website or a pdf I downloaded. Any recommendations for a good double science major pairing? If you don't mind me asking, do you go to UCLA yourself? Thank you again for your advice.
Nope, I'm a fellow transfer student! Going to Berkeley this fall.
Also, you can't double major in the same department. So you can't double major in Biology which is provided by Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Department.
But, you can double major in:
Integrative Biology and Physiology Department - Physiological Science BS
Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics Department - Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics BS
Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology Department- Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology BS
Psychology Department - Psychobiology BS
Institute for Society and Genetics, Center for Interdisciplinary Instruction - Human Biology and Society BA, BS

Go for these, if you are interested in another Biology.
Most of these have the similar major requirement as Marine Biology.
1 yr of Chem / O chem
1 yr of Physics w/ Calculus
1 yr of Calculus
1 yr of Biology

Last edited:

Why do you want to double major? You are not going to earn any "brownie points" for it from adcoms. Double majors, minors etc are not going to impress them. Good GPA, good MCAT, good EC's are going to impress them...not multiple majors or minors.

Why do you want to double major? You are not going to earn any "brownie points" for it from adcoms. Double majors, minors etc are not going to impress them. Good GPA, good MCAT, good EC's are going to impress them...not multiple majors or minors.
He mentioned double major because I mentioned it first. I mentioned it because he mentioned that his Ecology courses might look as Sci GPA fluffers.
So I gave him the list of science courses that looks favorable. Then why not double major in it that allows him to earn another major whilst taking them.
It's not the double major that I want him to go for, but just those courses that Goro mentioned, are the Upper Division requirement for the majors I've mentioned above.

Like, for example: Physiological Science
he'll have to take Upper Division Anatomy, Bio Chem, 12 units of Physiological Science, 20 units of Physio Electives (like Molecular Systems Biology, Biomedical Tech, etc.)

So what I'm trying to say is: he should take those Science Courses if he thinks adcoms might ask him or think that he took the "fluffers." Double major part doesn't matter, really. He could pursuit it because those courses above will satisfy bunch of the majors I've mentioned.

Last edited:
@Toutie exactly what Geo16 said. I wasn't looking into double majoring to earn brownie points, but how to counteract any negative stigma (if there would be some) if I did a marine biology or ecology major as it has a lot of "fluffer" courses. I know generally speaking, double majoring/minoring doesn't matter to admin and can just be more work on yourself. The only majors and minors I've been looking at are things that interest me (marine biology/ecology, health care studies minor at USC, in particular) due to opportunities and exciting classes each has to offer. Not because I thought it would impress anyone or anything like that.

@Geo16 thank you for explaining. However, *she :) Congratulations on getting into Berkeley!

-Graduated HS in 2011 with a 4.0 GPA (career goal at time was to become veterinarian or pediatrician)
-Started college, failed freshmen first semester (due to immaturity, family issues, social anxiety, being lazy, not prepared for college, etc.) I received 0.0 GPA in all of my 13 credit hours, and only got a S in one class worth 1 credit (5 credit hours was a bio class, 5 credit hours was a chem class)

2011 is awhile ago, and when it comes time for you to apply, it could be about 10 years since that failed semester. If there's one thing that adcoms take into consideration in regards to bad grades, it's TIME. They've seen enough "rehabbed" applicants over the years. Immature 17/18 year olds flunking out, then working awhile or serving in the military while growing up, returning to school and doing very well. The GPA impact may still be very noticeably there, but they're savvy enough to believe that the "failed grades" belonged to someone who doesn't exist anymore.

Well, I just made a major mistake. I feel like such an idiot. I'm taking an art history course online over the summer, and have received 100% on every single assignment and on the midterm. For some reason, I was 100% certain the final opened today, and was due tomorrow, even wrote it down and got today from work off for it. I read the syllabus, and for some reason, was convinced, without a doubt, that is what is said. I waited excitedly to take the final at 5pm, tried to open it at 5:01pm, and read that it was closed. Went back in the syllabus, saw that it CLOSED today at 5pm. The policy says that nothing will be reopened. I still emailed the professor letting her know (I don't expect her to reopen it, but I wanted to apologize), and to tell her that I would be registering to retake it. I will now have a C, instead of an A, in the course, and plan to retake it over the fall. I already registered for the fall one, 3rd on the waitlist. How bad is this, coupled with my past record? I'm so angry and upset at myself. It was such an easy class, and know that I need to be getting A's in everything to prove that I've changed, and this is clearly not the direction I need to go. It is so frustrating as it was such a dumb mistake that could have been easily prevented.

Well, I just made a major mistake. I feel like such an idiot. I'm taking an art history course online over the summer, and have received 100% on every single assignment and on the midterm. For some reason, I was 100% certain the final opened today, and was due tomorrow, even wrote it down and got today from work off for it. I read the syllabus, and for some reason, was convinced, without a doubt, that is what is said. I waited excitedly to take the final at 5pm, tried to open it at 5:01pm, and read that it was closed. Went back in the syllabus, saw that it CLOSED today at 5pm. The policy says that nothing will be reopened. I still emailed the professor letting her know (I don't expect her to reopen it, but I wanted to apologize), and to tell her that I would be registering to retake it. I will now have a C, instead of an A, in the course, and plan to retake it over the fall. I already registered for the fall one, 3rd on the waitlist. How bad is this, coupled with my past record? I'm so angry and upset at myself. It was such an easy class, and know that I need to be getting A's in everything to prove that I've changed, and this is clearly not the direction I need to go. It is so frustrating as it was such a dumb mistake that could have been easily prevented.
It's a good thing that you learned this lesson now, but when doctors make mistakes like this, patients die, and malpractice lawyers get to pay off their boats.

A lot of CC professors are forgiving. Most professors are forgiving in that sense i.e. being late due to a mistake/misunderstanding or if you had circumstances. They've met students like you :) The CC professors are unlike from the 4-year uni. professors because they meet students who work full-time, have circumstances (like having few young humans depending on the student) or have difficulty following up with the deadlines (LACCD's EOPs office allows students to have an extended deadlines because some students work better without the pressure of the deadline).
Relax, I've been to major campuses on LACCD (I assume you go there) but none of them were harsh like that. E-mail them and let them know.

Update! You were right @Geo16 , she wrote me back! She went ahead and doubled my midterm points for me! I honestly did not expect that! I am so happy! I got a 100% in it! Yay! :D I certainly will never make the same mistake ever again though. I learned my lesson.

Reactions: 4 users
Another quick question about EC's and paid employment.

I currently work as a shift manager at a quick service restaurant. I have been there for over 4 years now I believe, and was planning on staying there for another 4 years for the rest of my undergraduate education/until I get accepted into medical school. I am/will work 25hrs/wk during the school year, 30-40 hrs/wk when I am not in class. However, I have been wondering if taking the classes to become a CNA, and work as CNA instead, would be better? I'm also worrying about trying to have more EC's.

Shift Manager at Restaurant
Pros:
-wage ($13.00/hr)
-tips (~$25 each shift)
-60% discount on food + free food
-great manager
-my manager is very flexible with my schedule
-leadership experience (I run the shift, in charge of FOH/BOH)
-stable income
-work til 1am (experience working late)

Cons:
-not clinic related
-45min-1.5 hr commute one-way

CNA
Pros:
-clinic related
-fulfilling work (I'd rather get yelled at someone sick or with dementia)
-develop iron stomach to gross things

Cons:
-have to use a summer to take classes
-cost for classes
-wages can be bad
-physically demanding
-trying to find work that is flexible and close distance

I think I'd rather just stay at my current job, but was curious to see if people thought it'd be better that I get a more clinic related job given my lite EC's.

As for EC's, so far what I am doing (conservative hours I will have when I apply)
-Volunteer at local children's hospital 4hrs/wk (500 hrs)
-Volunteer reading to underserved kids 3hrs/month (100hrs)
-Volunteer tutoring to homeless kids ~1h/wk (150 hrs)
-Volunteer handing out food to homeless, on/off dep on evening class (150 hrs)
-Working as shift manager (25hrs/wk during school, 30-40hrs/wk off school, 8 years)
-Summer program next year shadowing a physician at hospital (ideally a pediatrician)

Besides some sort of research experience, are those EC's okay? I know they are cookie cutter type, but I really enjoy doing them. My hobbies consist of going to the movies, walking my dog, and occasionally going hiking. Nothing super exciting.

Another quick question about EC's and paid employment.

I currently work as a shift manager at a quick service restaurant. I have been there for over 4 years now I believe, and was planning on staying there for another 4 years for the rest of my undergraduate education/until I get accepted into medical school. I am/will work 25hrs/wk during the school year, 30-40 hrs/wk when I am not in class. However, I have been wondering if taking the classes to become a CNA, and work as CNA instead, would be better? I'm also worrying about trying to have more EC's.

Shift Manager at Restaurant
Pros:
-wage ($13.00/hr)
-tips (~$25 each shift)
-60% discount on food + free food
-great manager
-my manager is very flexible with my schedule
-leadership experience (I run the shift, in charge of FOH/BOH)
-stable income
-work til 1am (experience working late)

Cons:
-not clinic related
-45min-1.5 hr commute one-way

CNA
Pros:
-clinic related
-fulfilling work (I'd rather get yelled at someone sick or with dementia)
-develop iron stomach to gross things

Cons:
-have to use a summer to take classes
-cost for classes
-wages can be bad
-physically demanding
-trying to find work that is flexible and close distance

I think I'd rather just stay at my current job, but was curious to see if people thought it'd be better that I get a more clinic related job given my lite EC's.

As for EC's, so far what I am doing (conservative hours I will have when I apply)
-Volunteer at local children's hospital 4hrs/wk (500 hrs)
-Volunteer reading to underserved kids 3hrs/month (100hrs)
-Volunteer tutoring to homeless kids ~1h/wk (150 hrs)
-Volunteer handing out food to homeless, on/off dep on evening class (150 hrs)
-Working as shift manager (25hrs/wk during school, 30-40hrs/wk off school, 8 years)
-Summer program next year shadowing a physician at hospital (ideally a pediatrician)

Besides some sort of research experience, are those EC's okay? I know they are cookie cutter type, but I really enjoy doing them. My hobbies consist of going to the movies, walking my dog, and occasionally going hiking. Nothing super exciting.
Check out Dignity CHMC. Their CNAs were paid $15/hr iirc.
Big hospitals give food and they are very good.

Check out Dignity CHMC. Their CNAs were paid $15/hr iirc.
Big hospitals give food and they are very good.

Hmmm. Good to know. I looked and they require 1 yr acute hospital experience prior to applying, so I would most likely have to start in a nursing home for a year, and work at another hospital for a year before applying there. Thank you for the suggestion though! I will keep it in mind. :)

Another question related to my hobbies, is it okay if I don't do the whole "turn your hobby into an organization type of thing?" As an introvert, I use my hobby time as a time to recharge from other people and to relax. Turning them into a club or group, or getting more actively involved in organizations and groups associated with it, would essentially ruin my hobbies for me. For example, I know that for hiking, I could start a hiking club, some group that helps unhealthy people get active, or join a large hiking group.

However, the reason I go hiking is to have peace and solitude away from other people, stress relief, and to spend quality time with my boyfriend and dog.

I also really enjoy fish/aquariums, and fairly knowledgeable about tropical fish keeping (I've had tanks from 10 gallon live planted betta aquariums to a 75 gallon "monster" fish tank, briefly had saltwater). I don't have aquariums anymore (due to cost/space mainly), but like to give advice on fish forums to people occasionally. I have no interest in joining a club, organization, or getting more involved than that. It just wouldn't be fun anymore if I did.

Is my lack of in-depth involvement frowned upon?

I apologize for all these questions. I've been looking at other people's incredible EC's, and I'm worried that I am not doing enough.

Last edited:
@LizzyM in reference to what you said earlier about making sure every elective is a BCPM course, would I be shooting myself in the foot if I were to major in something other than a BCPM major?

As I get closer to transferring, I worry about the lack of career options with a biology major if I do not get into medical school (or decide along the way I'd rather do something else). I was considering switching to being a general psychology major instead (or attempting to double major with psych and biology, only because it gives you an extra semester to complete course work at the uc) as it would give me more options.

I still would be completing most prereqs at a community college, and taking upper division science courses after transferring.

What would you recommend? I don't want to dig myself into a hole even more, but I also want to have a viable back up plan since I'll be at least 30 by the time I have my bachelor's.

Given that you need about 105 more credits to graduate, you can remediate your sGPA by taking more science classes. Every elective should be biology, chemistry, physics or math. Your sGPA is not just the average for bio I and II, chem I and II, O-chem I and II and physics I and II but for every course in BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, math).

You shouldn't need a post-bac when at this point you have 3.5 years of undergrad ahead of you. Also, your age will be clearly visible on your application and you will need to complete an IA (institutional action) owning the fact that you were on academic probation in your first semester (you were, weren't you, for flunking all your courses, usually in undergrad, anyone with a GPA < 2.0 is on academic probation?). When your application comes to the attention of the adcom, it will see that your GPA had a strong upward trend and I think you'll be judged by your most recent 4 years, rather than what you accomplished as a college freshman.
Here is your earlier post, meant to post it above.

Hmmm. Good to know. I looked and they require 1 yr acute hospital experience prior to applying, so I would most likely have to start in a nursing home for a year, and work at another hospital for a year before applying there. Thank you for the suggestion though! I will keep it in mind. :)

Another question related to my hobbies, is it okay if I don't do the whole "turn your hobby into an organization type of thing?" As an introvert, I use my hobby time as a time to recharge from other people and to relax. Turning them into a club or group, or getting more actively involved in organizations and groups associated with it, would essentially ruin my hobbies for me. For example, I know that for hiking, I could start a hiking club, some group that helps unhealthy people get active, or join a large hiking group.

However, the reason I go hiking is to have peace and solitude away from other people, stress relief, and to spend quality time with my boyfriend and dog.

I also really enjoy fish/aquariums, and fairly knowledgeable about tropical fish keeping (I've had tanks from 10 gallon live planted betta aquariums to a 75 gallon "monster" fish tank, briefly had saltwater). I don't have aquariums anymore (due to cost/space mainly), but like to give advice on fish forums to people occasionally. I have no interest in joining a club, organization, or getting more involved than that. It just wouldn't be fun anymore if I did.

Is my lack of in-depth involvement frowned upon?

I apologize for all these questions. I've been looking at other people's incredible EC's, and I'm worried that I am not doing enough.

It's probably fine as long as your other extracurriculars are strong and you can talk about it in length when asked about it. I used an EC slot on my app for my hobbies because I had the space and just talked about how it was a major destresser for me, etc. It's more of a humanizing aspect of your app rather than something to get really judged on in my opinion.

LOL if you think that a psychology major has more career options than a biology major but you do you.

I appreciate your response.

I think that because that I have seen several postings over the last couple years for entry-level jobs doing home visit therapy with children that only requires a bachelor in psychology (no experience needed, decent salary). There is also the possibility of pursuing a master's in psychology/counseling, marriage and family therapy, social work, etc, which are careers I've been interested in before.

It is nice to know that I won't hurt my chances if I change majors. While I enjoy biology as a major, it doesn't seem like there are as many careers that I would enjoy that stem from a biology degree.

I'm also choosing non-clinical volunteer activities that could apply towards graduate mental health programs as well (such as grief counselor, crisis line, etc.)

I just want to have options.

I appreciate your response.

I think that because that I have seen several postings over the last couple years for entry-level jobs doing home visit therapy with children that only requires a bachelor in psychology (no experience needed, decent salary). There is also the possibility of pursuing a master's in psychology/counseling, marriage and family therapy, social work, etc, which are careers I've been interested in before.

It is nice to know that I won't hurt my chances if I change majors. While I enjoy biology as a major, it doesn't seem like there are as many careers that I would enjoy that stem from a biology degree.

I'm also choosing non-clinical volunteer activities that could apply towards graduate mental health programs as well (such as grief counselor, crisis line, etc.)

I just want to have options.

My two cents here, but it probably looks to you that psychology "opens more paths" than biology because you're looking specifically at therapy/mental health options. Biology probably has about the same number of entry jobs if not more if you're open to things beyond that like research assistant/lab tech, positions in department of health, food science, I'm sure a lot of other things I can't think of if you get creative. In short, a bachelor's is usually so general and course based that you can twist it to a lot of things. Of course there are majors that are so specific and/or in high demand fields that are exceptions (maybe computer science engineering?) but most of the usual pre-med majors don't seem to be "better" than others as a safe backup (esp. biology vs. psychology)