How much dental experience do they like to see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothlover1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background on me.

NBDE PART 1
NBDE PART 2
BDS (INDIA)
TOEFL is 90
GPA is 3.25 converted
Two years dental experience there
About 7 months of US experience between two dental clinics
2 months of shadowing
Some volunteer experience in India and US
Have a couple publications as well

I am being told by people that I have almost no chance since schools want to see applicants with at least a few years of US experience. Also TOEFL is low and heard without a 100 its not likely even with schools with low requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some background on me.

NBDE PART 1
NBDE PART 2
BDS (INDIA)
TOEFL is 90
GPA is 3.25 converted
Two years dental experience there
About 7 months of US experience between two dental clinics
2 months of shadowing
Some volunteer experience in India and US
Have a couple publications as well

I am being told by people that I have almost no chance since schools want to see applicants with at least a few years of US experience. Also TOEFL is low and heard without a 100 its not likely even with schools with low requirements.

Your experience is good. Who told you that your experience is not enough. However, your toefl score and GPA can be improved. Toefl should be above 100 to 110. And GPA can be improved by doing masters. Consider masters that is one year program like public health. There are people who are accepted with this GPA too but things are getting tough with every passing year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
marysmiles Is there such masters for 1 year? which schools offer that please?

Your experience is good. Who told you that your experience is not enough. However, your toefl score and GPA can be improved. Toefl should be above 100 to 110. And GPA can be improved by doing masters. Consider masters that is one year program like public health. There are people who are accepted with this GPA too but things are getting tough with every passing year.

John's hopkins offers masters in public health one year program. Almost all state universities offer masters in public health and offer accelerated program of one year too. Search online and Google it which schools offer one year masters program. But they need GRE. It's not that hard. They don't look for very high score in public health. Average score can let you acceptance.

John's hopkins offers masters in public health one year program. Almost all state universities offer masters in public health and offer accelerated program of one year too. Search online and Google it which schools offer one year masters program. But they need GRE. It's not that hard. They don't look for very high score in public health. Average score can let you acceptance.

Thank you I have searched in California, most schools require 2 years 46 units!

Do you have leadership experience in the US? Are you part of dental organizatins ?

There is public health programs in schools that do not require GRE. They can waive it through NBDE and TOEFL. N every MPH program is almost 46 credit requirement. you need to enquire in schools near by which offers MPH. The 2 years MPH itself seems ridiculous and strenuous. I don't know how the students intend to complete it in one year. Please dont fall for programs which give this one year option until it's accredited one.