how many to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali919191

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I posted this on another thread, I just wanted to know some opinions. So i got a 490+ on step 1 and a 606 on step 2. I did not take the USMLE. Like I said in the other thread, I wish these scores were reversed! Would make my life easier. I have a few questions

1) How many programs is too many programs? Most people I know are applying between 10-25 programs. I feel like that is much too little for my case because I did not take the USMLE.
2) Realistically, is my step 2 going to help me much?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not having a USMLE limits where you will be considered.

Apply broadly (30-40) to places that don't require it. Other than that, I would think you'll be fine. Nice improvement on Level 2. Good luck !!!

Thanks! My advisor at school says that I should kiss my chances of going back to california away without a step 1. I'm prepared to handle that. Do you know of comlex friendly MD programs in other parts of the country?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

So i got a 490+ on step 1 and a 606 on step 2. I did not take the USMLE. Like I said in the other thread, I wish these scores were reversed! Would make my life easier.

Don't agree. Higher Step 2 than step 1 scores seem common in pediatrics, we are used to it and programs may consider step 2 more strongly. I know of no evidence (someone point me to it?) that Step 1 is more predictive of residency outcome than Step 2. Also, going way down between the two would, in my opinion, be a bigger red flag than a slightly low step 1. YMMV.

Not taking USMLEs is a bigger problem, but nothing you can do about that now.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't agree. Higher Step 2 than step 1 scores seem common in pediatrics, we are used to it and programs may consider step 2 more strongly. I know of no evidence (someone point me to it?) that Step 1 is more predictive of residency outcome than Step 2. Also, going way down between the two would, in my opinion, be a bigger red flag than a slightly low step 1. YMMV.

Not taking USMLEs is a bigger problem, but nothing you can do about that now.
Don't know if anyone has ever done Step 1 vs 2, though I would say typically, large differences between the Steps is less than common. People usually score within the standard of error between the two, though I agree, higher on 2 than 1. I also agree that not taking a Step exam is generally a detriment.

USMLE step 1 scores as a significant predictor of future board passage in pediatrics. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
I'm not sure how detrimental not taking a step exam is... I know many people from my school who applied to pediatric programs in the north east and got plenty of interviews with comlex alone. I guess we shall see!