How many points can you add to your step score in 1 week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my last NBME a week ago and scored a 222, and my test is in 2 days. I've busted my butt this past week, so how many points do you think I could have added to it in 7-8 days? I'm guessing a 10 point difference isn't realistic, but perhaps a 5 point jump isn't?

Members don't see this ad.

The practice NBMEs aren't always predictive. It's hard not to get discouraged over a disappointing score but that doesn't mean it's what you'll get on test day. This close to the test, try focusing on brushing up on stuff that you already mostly know. Pharm and micro are always places where it's easy to forget stuff or, conversely, to pick up a couple of extra points. Also review topics that you know you've missed before (e.g. if there are diseases you tend to mix up). If there is stuff you just straight up don't understand, don't delve into it at this point--it's not the best use of your time. Don't study the night before the test; try to relax and do something you enjoy. good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The practice NBMEs aren't always predictive. It's hard not to get discouraged over a disappointing score but that doesn't mean it's what you'll get on test day. This close to the test, try focusing on brushing up on stuff that you already mostly know. Pharm and micro are always places where it's easy to forget stuff or, conversely, to pick up a couple of extra points. Also review topics that you know you've missed before (e.g. if there are diseases you tend to mix up). If there is stuff you just straight up don't understand, don't delve into it at this point--it's not the best use of your time. Don't study the night before the test; try to relax and do something you enjoy. good luck!

First point isn't preached enough. Also agree with second point. Most students have NBME scores which correlate with their actual performance but many score much higher or lower.