How many of you wear ties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a768678

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...seems like not as many docs wear ties these days...

Members don't see this ad.

I wear a tie nearly every day. Sometimes, I even wear a bow tie. :)

DCC656AF-B841-4ED7-BB9D-BF6C8772E185_zpsiubcrrzs.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
are students required to wear ties in med school?

What is it about Virginia and bow ties...

It's more of a Southern thing in general, although you do see a lot of 'em at some of Virginia's colleges and universities (e.g., UVA, Hampden-Sydney) and around Richmond.

It's more of a Southern thing in general, although you do see a lot of 'em at some of Virginia's colleges and universities (e.g., UVA, Hampden-Sydney) and around Richmond.
Only pediatricians or docs over 70 here in SC sport bow ties on a regular basis... but I did go to Hampden-Sydney (and visit Richmond to see college friends regularly) so my experience may be skewed.

We have an ER doc (actually, the guy is pretty high up in the ER hierarchy and owns a major ER concern here in Dallas) that sports horn-rimmed glasses, khakis, black "referee" shoes, short sleeved shirt and bow tie all covered with a lab coat that has tailored cuffs up to just below the elbow bilaterally --- yes, he actually wears this in the Parkland ER and is regularly seen teaching residents and treating patients -- always a kind word, never flies off the handle, coaches people (ahem) on style points like,"Don't write morbidly obese, just put in the BMI and people reading the chart will get the hint"......started me wearing bow-ties when I do wear a tie ---

Since no one else has said it, I will...

I like that tie/shirt combo.

What's the significance of the starfish?

Thanks!

I bought the starfish pins for my staff a couple of years ago as a reminder of our ability to make a difference in everything we do, even in the smallest ways.

Here's the "starfish story" that comes with the pins.

a97838b531e7238fe534a33672fed898.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
are students required to wear ties in med school?

It probably depends on the institution, but we had a dress code when I was in med school that required us to wear ties, dress shirts, dress pants (basically "not jeans"), and dress shoes (basically "not sneakers or sandals") while on rotations. We were also required to wear our short white coats with our student name tag and school patch.

Probably not a good idea. My neck looks fat in that picture. ;)

Fat? Fat?!! -- Ok, BD, we need to give you a better idea of what "fat" truly is --- In today's society, they're not fat unless they're at least one Parkland Unit -- defined as being almost as wide as you are tall or having a BMI over 50 --- that neck would qualify as anorexic in that universe --- ;->

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!

I bought the starfish pins for my staff a couple of years ago as a reminder of our ability to make a difference in everything we do, even in the smallest ways.

Here's the "starfish story" that comes with the pins.

Starfish-Hunter-1.jpg

Thanks for reminding me of that one ---

I often used this one when counseling pre-teens in a previous life ----

One day on the bus home, a group of middle-schoolers got off at a particular stop. One young man had an armload of books -- he was the dorky kid, kept to himself and no one really knew him. Other than to pick on him, few people really interacted with him.

At the bus stop, one of the older boys shoved the armload of books onto the sidewalk and started laughing as the loose papers began scattering all over the grass. The rest of the crowd joined in except for one young man. He began to help pick up the papers and the crowd, tired of their fun, moved on.

After getting everything picked up, he invited the introvert over to his house to watch some TV and grab a pizza. "Ok, but let me go home and drop off my books first" --

This began what was to become a friendship that lasted through middle school and on through high school. Double dates, fishing trips, etc. all began to fill the days and soon enough, graduation was upon them.

After both had received their diplomas and were headed off to start their adult lives, the introvert walked up to his now best buddy and said," I'll never forget the day at the bus stop. You see, the reason I had all my books with me was that I was planning on going home and hanging myself in the bathroom. I had cleaned out my locker and was bringing everything home that day. I just couldn't take it anymore. When you helped me pick things up and then invited me over, I decided to give it one more chance. You saved my life that day."

Don't remember where I read that story but it's supposedly a true story -- you never really know the impact you'll have --- and especially we as physicians need to be cognizant of that fact ---

Strong work, BD -- need to get me some starfish pins for my crew.

Reactions: 4 users
Fat? Fat?!! -- Ok, BD, we need to give you a better idea of what "fat" truly is --- In today's society, they're not fat unless they're at least one Parkland Unit -- defined as being almost as wide as you are tall or having a BMI over 50 --- that neck would qualify as anorexic in that universe --- ;->
In Alaska we used to categorize obesity as to how many 50lb dog food bag equivalents were strapped to their body. So 100lbs overweight is a "2 bagger".

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for reminding me of that one ---

I often used this one when counseling pre-teens in a previous life ----

One day on the bus home, a group of middle-schoolers got off at a particular stop. One young man had an armload of books -- he was the dorky kid, kept to himself and no one really knew him. Other than to pick on him, few people really interacted with him.

At the bus stop, one of the older boys shoved the armload of books onto the sidewalk and started laughing as the loose papers began scattering all over the grass. The rest of the crowd joined in except for one young man. He began to help pick up the papers and the crowd, tired of their fun, moved on.

After getting everything picked up, he invited the introvert over to his house to watch some TV and grab a pizza. "Ok, but let me go home and drop off my books first" --

This began what was to become a friendship that lasted through middle school and on through high school. Double dates, fishing trips, etc. all began to fill the days and soon enough, graduation was upon them.

After both had received their diplomas and were headed off to start their adult lives, the introvert walked up to his now best buddy and said," I'll never forget the day at the bus stop. You see, the reason I had all my books with me was that I was planning on going home and hanging myself in the bathroom. I had cleaned out my locker and was bringing everything home that day. I just couldn't take it anymore. When you helped me pick things up and then invited me over, I decided to give it one more chance. You saved my life that day."

Don't remember where I read that story but it's supposedly a true story -- you never really know the impact you'll have --- and especially we as physicians need to be cognizant of that fact ---

Strong work, BD -- need to get me some starfish pins for my crew.
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/kyle.asp

It's sourced from Chicken Soup for the Soul.

I haven't worn a tie since the day I started residency and I'm just about to start 3rd year. I also started growing my hair out this past year, and I've had patients tell me I look like Bob Dylan or a roller-blader from the 90's. In the hospital I wear hospital scrubs. In the clinic I wear some pretty casual khakis with a polo shirt that looks clean in subdued colors.

I am wear so many bow tie ... In the present scenario of men’s fashion, it has become extremely crucial to look stylish and know all the latest fashion styles.

I am wear so many bow tie ... In the present scenario of men’s fashion, it has become extremely crucial to look stylish and know all the latest fashion styles.

Pics, or it didn't happen (J/K). ;)

IMG_9593.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear neither a tie nor a white coat. I trained for a year in the UK and over there medical staff are not allowed to wear white coats, ties or anything below the elbows (sleeves, watches, rings, etc) and their infection rates are next to zero. I could not tell you the last time I washed my ties and the thought of dragging them over the bodies of one patient after another is sorta gross. Same goes for the white coat that I used to have dry cleaned once or twice a month....15-20 patients a day....5 days a week...x2 weeks (being generous) is ~200 patient between washings.

I wear neither a tie nor a white coat. I trained for a year in the UK and over there medical staff are not allowed to wear white coats, ties or anything below the elbows (sleeves, watches, rings, etc) and their infection rates are next to zero. I could not tell you the last time I washed my ties and the thought of dragging them over the bodies of one patient after another is sorta gross. Same goes for the white coat that I used to have dry cleaned once or twice a month....15-20 patients a day....5 days a week...x2 weeks (being generous) is ~200 patient between washings.

For the tie issue, a simple tie bar or tie clip would prevent the tie from "dragging" along the patient.

For the tie issue, a simple tie bar or tie clip would prevent the tie from "dragging" along the patient.

So does wearing a buttoned lab coat. And...only cleaning your lab coat once a month is just gross.

Reactions: 2 users
I trained for a year in the UK and over there medical staff are not allowed to wear white coats, ties or anything below the elbows (sleeves, watches, rings, etc) and their infection rates are next to zero.

There are multiple interventions at work in the UK which have resulted in their current infection rates, and, despite all of the hoopla, there is still no evidence that "bare below the elbows" provides any more benefit than hand washing. UK infection rates aren't as good as some other countries (e.g., Hong Kong) where lab coats are still the norm.

No wonder dress codes have doctors up in (bare) arms

We were allowed to wear scrubs and white coats in residency but when on an away rotation (ENT etc.) needed to wear dress clothes with tie. I loved wearing scrubs bc I could take them off as soon as I got done and put a new pair on before leaving hospital. I had to wear dress clothes with tie optional for fellowship except for surgery days/rotations. I only do sports med now and am not around that many sick people but I do a lot of procedures to justify the scrubs...but-I will be honest and I love wearing basically PJ's all day every day as an attending :). Just have to watch your waistline as scrubs don't get tight.

No ties for me. Once in a blue moon, but the vast majority of the time I go without.

I wear a tie nearly every day. Sometimes, I even wear a bow tie. :)

DCC656AF-B841-4ED7-BB9D-BF6C8772E185_zpsiubcrrzs.jpg

I've been on this forum for some time now and always imagined that you had a thick beard, wore plaid with birkenstocks, and had a well worn tweed coat( in the most debonair way, of course). This is really a little bit jarring to me :laugh:

I've been on this forum for some time now and always imagined that you had a thick beard, wore plaid with birkenstocks, and had a well worn tweed coat( in the most debonair way, of course). This is really a little bit jarring to me :laugh:

Well, I do have plenty of tweed jackets, and (except for the beard) you just described how I looked in medical school. ;)

No tie, no white coat. None of my attendings in my program wear them. Then there were a couple of new interns who started wearing a white coat along with other ancillary staffs, which I found quite amusing.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

ADHD and dressing up does not go well togather
scrubs one color
socks one color
3 coats per yr washed bi weekly
2 shoes , one for summer one for winter
cannot handle anything else

3 coats per yr washed bi weekly

Ew...

2 shoes , one for summer one for winter

You should really buy a 2nd pair of each and alternate. Shoes need to breathe/dry out for at least a day between wearings. Alternating is totally compatible with ADHD...just label them (A and B, or 1 and 2). ;)

Ew...

You should really buy a 2nd pair of each and alternate. Shoes need to breathe/dry out for at least a day between wearings. Alternating is totally compatible with ADHD...just label them (A and B, or 1 and 2). ;)

oh it does not smell, I check

I have tried but I lose the second pair
oh and in winter I keep the gloves and cap in the car ALWAYS otherwise I will lose it too

ties = infection. :D

Never been proven. All that's been proven is that ties can become colonized, just like everything else (including shirts, pants, coats, stethoscopes, pens, computers, clipboards, etc.) The argument that "ties are never washed" is pointless, because even if they were, they'd become re-colonized within minutes. If your tie never touches the patient (e.g., it stays inside your buttoned lab coat where it belongs), it's a non-issue anyway. No single intervention has ever been shown to be anywhere near as effective against the spread of nosocomial infections as handwashing.

Never been proven. All that's been proven is that ties can become colonized, just like everything else (including shirts, pants, coats, stethoscopes, pens, computers, clipboards, etc.) The argument that "ties are never washed" is pointless, because even if they were, they'd become re-colonized within minutes. If your tie never touches the patient (e.g., it stays inside your buttoned lab coat where it belongs), it's a non-issue anyway. No single intervention has ever been shown to be anywhere near as effective against the spread of nosocomial infections as handwashing.
Don't even get my started on nasal bactroban for MRSA...

I've never worn a tie to work - I normally wear a dress shirt that is short sleeved, with a big front pocket. Some of them even have my initials sewn into the pocket. I normally wear Haggar slacks, best pants for comfort and look pretty darn good, too.

If I was organized enough in my home life, I will wear a tie every day, hell I would dress up like Carlos D of Interpol