How long is too long for research years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CytokineStorm01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I did not match into dermatology but plan to do research fellowships year by year after my intern year until I do match. I have read various fellowship threads but I had a couple questions:

1. Would it be better to stay at the same fellowship year after year or would it be better to switch to a different fellowship each year?

I understand that whether I match or not is based on my own stats, interview performance, etc. but I also don't want to risk staying at a fellowship that won't vouch for me. I am also weighing having more connections by switching yearly versus the quality of a single connection by staying with a fellowship for > 1 year.

2. I feel like if I ended up doing 4 years of fellowships, I could have gotten a PhD in that time and from what I understand MD/PhD's have a higher interview rate than MD-only applicants. If I already did 4 years of fellowships, should I continue doing fellowships or should I just go for a PhD?

Cons:
- No income
- Less derm connections while doing my PhD
- 4 year commitment rather than year-by-year commitment
- I would probably have to look for somewhere that is providing a full-ride scholarship for the PhD since I would be unable to afford it otherwise

Pros:
- I would at least get a degree for my time doing research
- Increase my interviews

3. I know this varies from person to person, but by how many years of research until you would consider it futile? Ideally, I would like to do fellowships until I match no matter how long it takes, but I feel like I should also be realistic.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I did not match into dermatology but plan to do research fellowships year by year after my intern year until I do match. I have read various fellowship threads but I had a couple questions:

1. Would it be better to stay at the same fellowship year after year or would it be better to switch to a different fellowship each year?

I understand that whether I match or not is based on my own stats, interview performance, etc. but I also don't want to risk staying at a fellowship that won't vouch for me. I am also weighing having more connections by switching yearly versus the quality of a single connection by staying with a fellowship for > 1 year.

2. I feel like if I ended up doing 4 years of fellowships, I could have gotten a PhD in that time and from what I understand MD/PhD's have a higher interview rate than MD-only applicants. If I already did 4 years of fellowships, should I continue doing fellowships or should I just go for a PhD?

Cons:
- No income
- Less derm connections while doing my PhD
- 4 year commitment rather than year-by-year commitment
- I would probably have to look for somewhere that is providing a full-ride scholarship for the PhD since I would be unable to afford it otherwise

Pros:
- I would at least get a degree for my time doing research
- Increase my interviews

3. I know this varies from person to person, but by how many years of research until you would consider it futile? Ideally, I would like to do fellowships until I match no matter how long it takes, but I feel like I should also be realistic.

What do your stats look like? Were you reasonable competitive for dermatology? While there are horror stories of people matching after years and years of research fellowships, I would expect a US graduate with decent stats to hopefully find a way in after 1 - 2 years at the most.

1. If you do have to do multiple years, you want to pick the best possible fellowship program and plug away at the same program. Jumping from program to program isn't a good look.

2. I'm not quite sure about this. The typical pathway is to complete the PhD within the med school years. I'm not sure if a PhD after failing to match will increase your chances. Either way, I would only pursue the PhD if you have interest in the research topic. I think 4 years is a rather long time to spend researching something if you are only doing it to match into derm.

3. Agreed, this varies from person to person. I love dermatology. In the end, it's just a job. I can see why someone would be willing to do 1 - 2 years of research to get their dream job. I know of someone who put in nearly a decade of research before matching at the residency program associated with the lab too. Beyond 1 - 2 for me, I think I could find another field where I could be almost as happy. But you'll have to answer this one for yourself.

What do your stats look like? Were you reasonable competitive for dermatology? While there are horror stories of people matching after years and years of research fellowships, I would expect a US graduate with decent stats to hopefully find a way in after 1 - 2 years at the most.

1. If you do have to do multiple years, you want to pick the best possible fellowship program and plug away at the same program. Jumping from program to program isn't a good look.

2. I'm not quite sure about this. The typical pathway is to complete the PhD within the med school years. I'm not sure if a PhD after failing to match will increase your chances. Either way, I would only pursue the PhD if you have interest in the research topic. I think 4 years is a rather long time to spend researching something if you are only doing it to match into derm.

3. Agreed, this varies from person to person. I love dermatology. In the end, it's just a job. I can see why someone would be willing to do 1 - 2 years of research to get their dream job. I know of someone who put in nearly a decade of research before matching at the residency program associated with the lab too. Beyond 1 - 2 for me, I think I could find another field where I could be almost as happy. But you'll have to answer this one for yourself.

My stats are step 1: 244, Step 2: 248, 10 publications (8 of which are derm related and 1 of which is a book chapter). I know that I am not the cream of the crop but I figured I was reasonably within the bounds of applying for dermatology with a chance of matching after doing some research fellowship(s).

My stats are step 1: 244, Step 2: 248, 10 publications (8 of which are derm related and 1 of which is a book chapter). I know that I am not the cream of the crop but I figured I was reasonably within the bounds of applying for dermatology with a chance of matching after doing some research fellowship(s).

I agree, that is definitely within the bounds of matching into derm after a research fellowship.

I wouldn't do much more than 1 - 2 years, I think a program is just stringing you along if they ask you to do more than that.

I would pick a program that has a strong history of publishing to add to your already sizable list of publications. I would pick a program that has a strong history of accepting its research fellow into the linked residency program or at the very least, has matched all of its research fellows even if it means looking to programs outside of its linked program. Good luck!