How long did you study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedalltheway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that it's over, how long did you guys study for the beast (April MCAT)?

Members don't see this ad.

About 4 - 6 hours per day from January till early April and about 12 - 15 hours per day 3 weeks up until test day.

Premedalltheway said:
Now that it's over, how long did you guys study for the beast (April MCAT)?

I technically started in January and told myself I would study a little bit every day. But that didn’t really happen. I started serious studying about 3 weeks ago and kept it up right up to Friday.

By serious I mean 3-4 hours daily at the most. I don’t know how you can manage 12-15 hours a day! :wow:

Lilah said:
I technically started in January and told myself I would study a little bit every day. But that didn’t really happen. I started serious studying about 3 weeks ago and kept it up right up to Friday.

By serious I mean 3-4 hours daily at the most. I don’t know how you can manage 12-15 hours a day! :wow:

I would probably say, 4 months with two as extensive and the other two a little bit more relaxed..

Members don't see this ad :)
15-20 hours a week for 3 months. I reviewed last summer for three months(long time since college) and then studied february-april. I studied 8-9 hours on sunday, 3-5 on saturday, and 1-2 each night. My schedule was based on my kids' sleeping habits and babysitter availability.

I started in September or October (can't even remember for sure since it seems so long ago). I knew I would need longer than most people - it's been a long time since I took most of the pre-reqs, I haven't taken physics II yet, and my kids dictate when they will let me study. ;)

I started the Kaplan class in January and tried to do a little each week. I buckled down and focused the last month and seriously studied for the last two weeks. I took 3 practice full-lengths and managed to kill two birds with one stone by studying for a orgo and physics final at the same time.

Honestly, and I'm kinda embarassed by this so no laughing at me...

Maybe 10 hrs during a good week since January minus 2 weeks in March and the last week before the test.

Yeah, I sound like a slacker compared to everyone else!!

Anastasis said:
Honestly, and I'm kinda embarassed by this so no laughing at me...

Maybe 10 hrs during a good week since January minus 2 weeks in March and the last week before the test.

Yeah, I sound like a slacker compared to everyone else!!

haha, no slacker, I studied prob an hour every other day since the end of January + the Kaplan classroom. It worked getting my practice scored to 30+, but lets see if it worked for the real thing

I started over spring break about a month ago, but only managed to progress through 5 chapters of EK during the entire week. I started really studying hard about two weeks before the test. I didn't have time to take a practice test, so my timing was a little off, and I saved the renal system to learn during the lunch break on the day of the MCAT. Luckily, there wasn't much on there about it, but I wouldn't recommend my strategy.

I took TPR, so it's 10 hrs per week just going to classes + 15 hrs doing homework and other stuff. About three weeks to go, I took a break from my job and basically studied 40 hrs a week. During and after the test it seemed as if I didn't study at all, but I know it made a difference... maybe... :/

7 hours per day for a week during spring break...took 2 practice test...little bit here and there...not much at all though, and I probably paid for it on test day...

Members don't see this ad :)
2 1/2 months 20 hours per week. All in all about 200 hours. My goal when I started was 250 but I did not get it done, would probably be in better shape had I held myself to that and also if I had been smart enough to get some sleeping meds. +pity+ Like most of you didn't have trouble sleeping :laugh: .

studied since december for about 1-2 hrs each day..
started going at it about 2 weeks before the test, probably up to 5-6 hrs.. nothing crazy..

I started in January, ~2 hrs/day M-Th, ~4 hrs each Saturday and Sunday, until I finished the EK content review around mid-March. Then it was a full-length practice exam every Saturday and reviewing mistakes/weak spots for the rest of the week. I also bought the EK verbal 101 and did one test out of that every other day (reviewing mistakes on the off days) from late March until the exam.

I started studying in December for a couple of hours a week. In January I started the Kaplan Classroom Course, so that alone was 6 hours/week, plus any reading or quizzes I'd do. I figure I put in about 12-15 hours a week in January and February. Starting with spring break in March, I increased to probably 3 hours per afternoon regularly (20hrs.week). April was about the same, with about 4 hours a day with two weeks to go.The last week was virtually nothing. Felt good, but it makes one crazy. :scared: I took 9 full length practice tests along the way. Good Luck!

Ok. So I haven't taked the MCAT yet and am just curious for future guidelines to set...but when you say 5 hours...is that actually a solid 5 hours of just doing work with like a 5 minute break here and there..or is that a casual time with flash cards and a drink, getting up for 10 or 15 minute every now and then sort of thing? Just curious because when I say I studied 3 hours for an exam I was realistically there for 5 or 6 but I just factor in zone out time and what not! :cool: Which I do a lot.....Of course I need to get my a$$ in gear..I am yet to truly study in college..except maybe 2 or 3 ours for each final I have.....(I am not proud of that trust me...I just have a horrible attention span....parents and girlfriend want me to get tested.lol......the woman doesn't like me stopping during us time because I get distracted by a light)

8-12 hrs per day during spring break (i.e. 5th week before), took 1.5 week off for school work/midterms, and the last 2.5 weeks 6-12 hrs per day.. barely finished all my kaplan and EK books on time.. did 3 practice exams..
took the april test just wanting some score to apply on time.
hehe.. yea.. not good way to cram.. i'm gonna start prepping for August's after finals in a few weeks! :eek:
;)

2~3 hours per week from around March to the week leading up to the MCAT. And about 6~8 hours a day the week leading up to the MCAT.

I so should of started earlier and put in A LOT more hours...

vmc303 said:
I started over spring break about a month ago, but only managed to progress through 5 chapters of EK during the entire week. I started really studying hard about two weeks before the test. I didn't have time to take a practice test, so my timing was a little off, and I saved the renal system to learn during the lunch break on the day of the MCAT. Luckily, there wasn't much on there about it, but I wouldn't recommend my strategy.
haha, i saved the NS chapter for lunch break, im glad i did

As much as I possibly could. I put everything on hold. You really can't study enough. I never kept track...however I studied several hours a day everyday.

It's hard, but stay positive. It will all pay off in the end.

I wrote the MCAT on the sunday, and I had an exam on the thursday before.
I studied 2 1/2 days.!
Total

Hey everyone, I'm new here...just came across this site last weekend pretty much right after the MCAT. To be completely honest, you all have made me MORE nervous. All I did to prepare was take the Kaplan course (which meant I read the chapters in the review books, but didn't actually try to learn them), took Kaplan's 5 full length practice exams, reviewed the flashcards occasionally, and then reread all the Kaplan review chapters the Thursday and Friday before the exam. I was so busy that I just didn't have time to study a lot...and I honestly didn't know people prepared as much as some of you did!

On my first full-length, I scored a 29 but then jumped to a 34 on the 2nd and 3rd...I got sick and went to a 31 on the fourth and then a 32 on the last one, but those scores made me feel secure so I didn't feel any pressure to study! So thanks, everyone, for making me nervous now..I feel like such a slacker! :p I hope I didn't completely screw up my chances by not preparing as much as some of you did...

By the way, you all seem so smart and so dedicated to becoming doctors. It's really inspiring.

If you felt good about your practice exams, and felt good about your performance then don't worry. If you end up not liking your score, I would just add some aamc tests next time.

Erina said:
Hey everyone, I'm new here...just came across this site last weekend pretty much right after the MCAT. To be completely honest, you all have made me MORE nervous. All I did to prepare was take the Kaplan course (which meant I read the chapters in the review books, but didn't actually try to learn them), took Kaplan's 5 full length practice exams, reviewed the flashcards occasionally, and then reread all the Kaplan review chapters the Thursday and Friday before the exam. I was so busy that I just didn't have time to study a lot...and I honestly didn't know people prepared as much as some of you did!

On my first full-length, I scored a 29 but then jumped to a 34 on the 2nd and 3rd...I got sick and went to a 31 on the fourth and then a 32 on the last one, but those scores made me feel secure so I didn't feel any pressure to study! So thanks, everyone, for making me nervous now..I feel like such a slacker! :p I hope I didn't completely screw up my chances by not preparing as much as some of you did...

By the way, you all seem so smart and so dedicated to becoming doctors. It's really inspiring.

dec-april. but it's ultimately a thinking test, a pressure test, and most importantly, a "test" of luck/karma. then again, it could be said that we make our own luck. so theoretically, if you master ever topic covered on the MCAT.... nevermind that. i'll send the neurotic ones into a tizzy. just do the AAMCs and pray.

Z

For some weird reason I get more stressed each passing day....
damn test!! makes me so nervous. why can't we get our grades sooner...!

I started in November with the plan of doing the EK 10 week schedule over 20 weeks (make each week 2 weeks long) and then have 4 weeks before the test to go over things that I didn't know. Last semester was a b!tch (never take 4 science classes plus one humanities class the year of the MCAT... for the second half of the semester I had either 2 tests or a test and a paper each week) so I didn't get that much time to study.

I started hardcore right after Christmas break and was doing MCAT studying for a few hours every night and practice MCATs every Saturday until the test. Don't know how many hours, but don't really want to know.

1 hr a day since January. Read both EK and Kaplan books. I was not about to spend $1500 for a class. Hopefully I made a smart move. Additionally, I took 5 of the AMCAS practice test.

Dr. Nick Riviera: Take the food item and rub it on a piece of paper. If the paper turns clear, it's your window to weight gain!

::later, Homer takes a Krusty Fish Sandwich and rubs it on the drywall exterior of the restaurant, only for it to become clear and reveal people walking outside in the parking lot::

:laugh:
Z