How late is too late for VSAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augeremt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted a few VSAS applications about a week after applications opened. I know this is a neurotic question, but is that too late? Should I double up on schools just in case those aways fill up (those extra apps will also be "late")?

Note: I'm applying to these aways later in the cycle (September onwards) and they are not top programs either.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. You will get the programs you want. Since you're applying to the later months, they won't tell you until May-ish. Feel free to email the coordinators a short email as a reminder, but be nice thanking them for their efforts.

Reactions: 1 user
Update on this since somebody asked. I was accepted for one away after submitting 3 weeks late, but denied for another that was 1 week late. I think it also depends on the popularity of the program and the number of rotators they take. Some are super selective it seems, while others fill on a first-come-first serve basis.

For example, I was accepted to my second choice of month 6 hours after the program received my application, which was 24 hours after the app opened (my school took their time releasing my app). That's the fastest turnaround by far and I was shocked to get an acceptance. The only other time I heard back relatively quickly was when I got a swift "no" from a different program.

I'm also still waiting to hear from a third school that I submitted 2 weeks after the app opened. The rotation isn't until the fall so I'll probably be waiting a few more months for a decision.

Anyone know what's the usual turn around time for VSAS? Also, if there are no more places in a block, does the block disappear from VSAS?
I applied late (early May) for July-August spots and still waiting to hear back. Does a silence mean no?

I want to sort out my plans and the silence doesn't help with figuring out a schedule.