How late is it to start research in July?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a meeting with a professor in the beginning of July, and my class starts a little over a month afterwards. Is it too late to start research then if all I'm looking to do is a poster? The research is a clinical one rather than lab, too.

I looked at older threads but the were more in relation to doing research for publication. Is there anyone who started doing research a month before school started here who can give tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how prolific the group is really. If they publish a lot of stuff relatively quickly, then it's a possibility you might be, with their help, able to crank something out. But if not, I doubt anything will really come from a few weeks with the group. Also depends on how much they include you. Some labs really let their students participate, others dont. The latter case obviously won't serve you much. Still, in the future, it might making getting further research easier to say you actually have some experience, provided you had none to begin with.

Thankfully, I spoke with the PI. He allowed me to start early in June, and hopefully things go well.

Thankfully, I spoke with the PI. He allowed me to start early in June, and hopefully things go well.
Why not talk to the PI and ask them directly what you can expect to crank out in that time? FWIW I'm starting research in July and the PI said we could expect to get about 4 abstracts in that time. Publications are obviously a more continuous and lengthy process but he assured me I'd be included in those as well. So it's possible to get a lot done in a month, but YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not talk to the PI and ask them directly what you can expect to crank out in that time? FWIW I'm starting research in July and the PI said we could expect to get about 4 abstracts in that time. Publications are obviously a more continuous and lengthy process but he assured me I'd be included in those as well. So it's possible to get a lot done in a month, but YMMV.

I didn't think to ask them that, but interestingly enough, I'm continuing someone else's work from last year, and according to my PI, that student managed to clench a publication and poster within the given time period. If that student could do it, and if I'm continuing the work, I think I can pull off a publication as well.