How is my 2018 Application School line up? for out-of-state/non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted810749

Hey all,

The OptomCas will be open soon! I'm getting ready to work on my application. These are the schools that I will be applying. Just want to check if they are safe schools for me to apply. I hear that some schools only pick in-state students. From my dental friend, New England picks 85% students in-state. I'm not sure if that applies the same to optometry.. what do you guys think?

1. SCCO
2. Western
3. Nova
4. Midwestern
5. ICO
6. MCPHS
7. New England
8. Missouri-St. Louis
9. Pacific - Oregon
10. Salus

GPA: 3.0
OAT: 330/330

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ll most likely get an invite from SCCO with your stats, which means if you interview well, they’ll extend an acceptance. Same with Midwestern (if it’s the Glendale campus).

Why do you feel the need to apply to 10 schools? Your stats are good enough that 4 or 5 should be sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Also, for your question about out-of-stave vs. in-state, most of those schools you’re applying to are private, meaning they have no incentive to give preference to in-state applicants. The ones that I know of are SCCO, Western, NOVA, Midwestern, Pacific - Oregon, and Salus. I haven’t done any research into ICO, MCPHS, New England, or Missouri, but I would guess that only some may give preference to in-state.

Ohio State is a state school, but they give no preference to in-state students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Stirling,

Thank you so much for your input. I am applying to 10 schools just in case I don't get into schools that I want. Pretty much back-up schools.

I need to get into one of the schools with first try due to my age and financial state.

I am hoping to get some interviews. But the problem I'm having is recommendation letters. I do not know any instructors as it has been awhile, I am currently taking two classes and I'm not sure if they will write one for me.

SCCO doesn’t require recommendation letters anymore, so that can help a lot.

As for faculty letters of recommendation, I would pick the teacher that knows you better out of the two (even if it wasn’t that well) and ask if they would write you one. It wouldn’t hurt to ask, and as long as you did well in the class, I don’t think it will be a problem. Some schools may require two professors, so you might have to ask both anyways.

OP did you end up interviewing or getting accepted at any of these schools?

I got invited to every school and got accepted to all the schools that I interviewed with.

I'm going to SCCO.

Most of the schools actually let me know that I am a strong candidate because I had a career experience. They told me that they are looking for 'matured' students. So I think my GPA didn't really matter .

I got invited to every school and got accepted to all the schools that I interviewed with.

I'm going to SCCO.

Most of the schools actually let me know that I am a strong candidate because I had a career experience. They told me that they are looking for 'matured' students. So I think my GPA didn't really matter .

Congrats! That is encouraging to me. I have similar stats with a 3.2 GPA and taking my OAT soon. I worked in optometry for almost 4 years now with a steady advancement in job titles. ~ 2 years during undergrad and 2 after graduating. I am really hoping to be accepted at NOVA, NECO or SCO in TN.

Reactions: 1 users
just wondering! where did you go for undergrad? Thanks!

Hey all,

The OptomCas will be open soon! I'm getting ready to work on my application. These are the schools that I will be applying. Just want to check if they are safe schools for me to apply. I hear that some schools only pick in-state students. From my dental friend, New England picks 85% students in-state. I'm not sure if that applies the same to optometry.. what do you guys think?

1. SCCO
2. Western
3. Nova
4. Midwestern
5. ICO
6. MCPHS
7. New England
8. Missouri-St. Louis
9. Pacific - Oregon
10. Salus

GPA: 3.0
OAT: 330/330