How I passed NBDE Part 1 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys :) Recently passed my NBDE I and thought I'd share my experience. I realize a lot has been said about the material/resources but when I first started preparing, looking through SDN helped me a lot so I figured this might help someone as well. Oh and I'm a foreign trained dentist 3 years out of dental school :)

I spent three months preparing for this exam, dedicating 5 hours a day (might be overkill considering its pass/fail but I really wanted to pass comfortably) although there were days I studied for 5 hours and days where I studied for 2. These are the materials I used and my thoughts on them:

Dental decks: I think I read through one flash card from the Anatomy section and immediately disliked it. I felt overwhelmed with information and the flash card method really didn't suit my style of studying.

Board busters (now known as Dentin): I LOVED this book. This became my main source of study. A lot of people say it's the same as dental decks except organized into a book, can't say that for sure as I never went through decks (apart from that one anatomy flash card and a few ones from dental anatomy). This book has literally everything you need to know to pass. You can study exclusively from this and guarantee a pass. I went through this book 3 times (takes a month to go through it all, depending on your study schedule). Definitely highly recommend this (especially if you're more comfortable studying from books)

Dental Board Mastery app: I used this after going through board busters. Found it very useful in helping me retain information. I would answer questions and then refer back to board busters to review concepts and that really made concepts stick. This app also had additional information not found in board busters. Also loved their mnemonic and terminology sections. Although they claim you can only use their app to pass, I would definitely not study exclusively from this. Great study aid though and I went over all the app content twice. Was actually refreshing changing up my study method and studying from this after spending a fair amount of time studying from a book :) Highly reccomend getting this.

Released exam questions: I believe I answered testlets J to M. I did this towards the end of my studying and found myself able to answer the majority of questions.

NBDE mnemonics: this is the username of the guy behind "300 dental anatomy facts to ace the boards" on YouTube. You HAVE to watch this! Dental anatomy and occlusion in board busters is sufficient but I felt really weak in it. Board busters would list a tooth and about 30 facts/features of it all in one long list. So I ended up not really retaining any of the information. After watching the YouTube videos, screen- capturing all 300 facts and going over them daily (did this two weeks before the exam), I felt so much more confident about dental anatomy and occlusion. I would say go over board busters and watch these videos (and know the 300 facts well) and you'll easily pass this on the exam. He also has other videos but I only watched the 300 facts, picket fence, and occlusion in 5 minutes. I wouldn't really waste time with the other videos.

As I said, I made sure to go over the content of everything I listed above 2-3 times but only because I really wanted to pass and since I had 3 months I made sure to utilize them well :) I'm also the kind of learner who has to go over material a lot in order to be comfortable with it.

Good luck everyone and hope this helped someone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
How long after your exam date did you get your letter? I took my exam today and I'm just wondering how long I'm going to have to suffer until I know if I passed or not. :p

What a coincidence! I also made an account just to share my experience about the NBDE part 1. While studying, I went nuts trying to find breakdowns of the NBDE part 1, but could not find anything recent or too relatable. I totally don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll make my own!

@Bifenthrin
My results came 2.5 weeks after my exam.

How long after your exam date did you get your letter? I took my exam today and I'm just wondering how long I'm going to have to suffer until I know if I passed or not. :p

Haha not long :D they say 3-4 weeks, I received mine in 3 weeks :) the wait wasn't so bad apart from the occasional nightmare of only solving half the questions and walking out lol but I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What a coincidence! I also made an account just to share my experience about the NBDE part 1. While studying, I went nuts trying to find breakdowns of the NBDE part 1, but could not find anything recent or too relatable. I totally don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll make my own!

Aww wouldn't have minded sharing the thread with you :D but yeah that's exactly why I also shared my experience, didn't find anything relevant/recent. The more the merrier though :D

Last edited:
Hi...i like ur bolg...wanted to give nbde but need help...can u tell me is there any difference between kaplan lec notes for nbde part 1 nd kaplan lecture notes for usmle