How hard do I have to study to become an endodontist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timelyjeez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to become one!

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to become one!

4 years of doing well in undergrad to get into dental school. 4 years of doing well in dental school to get into a specialty program like endontics. 3 years of endontics training.

11 years, 8 of which will probably be the most stressful of your life. Good luck.

You have to be in the top 5% of your class. Just try to stay on top of you game all four years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to be in the top 5% of your class. Just try to stay on top of you game all four years.

i've heard that you should stay at the top 50% of your class if you want to apply for residency, and if you get at least 90% on your first boards and are willing to move than you shouldn't have a problem getting in to endo residency

i've heard that you should stay at the top 50% of your class if you want to apply for residency, and if you get at least 90% on your first boards and are willing to move than you shouldn't have a problem getting in to endo residency

Yeah, I believe Endodontics isn't as competitive as orthodontics or oms.

Endodontics is extremely competitive and I believe you generally need to be in the top 10% of your class with 90+ board scores to be competitive. Although endo residency is ~2 years, many residency programs now require private practice as a dentist or a completion of a GPR in order to apply.

Its a tough road, but I agree. . . endo is a cool specialty.