How does the NHSC work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious how the NHSC works and where I can find what locations are available. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

a little late but here is the site that scholars use to find out what job sites are available at any given time. nhscjobs.hrsa.gov
As for your general question of how NHSC works, you can find most of this information by visiting their general website.

Members don't see this ad :)
a little late but here is the site that scholars use to find out what job sites are available at any given time. nhscjobs.hrsa.gov
As for your general question of how NHSC works, you can find most of this information by visiting their general website.

I want to know how much paper work, loop holes, red tape it takes to maintain this NHSC benefit.

It seems almost too good to be true, and most things that seem too good to be true usually are.

Is the paperwork and logistics for something like this a nightmare, or is it really not that bad?
Thanks for any feedback...
hopefully I can revive this thread for a little while..

I am still in medical school and I am an NHSC scholar. So far things are pretty good. I have had very little paperwork. I get a monthly stipend and don't have a tuition bill to take care of. I don't know what things will be like in a few years when applying for jobs but so far there seems to be a variety of opportunities available in family medicine. This is less true for other primary care specialties, according to the website search tool. Some states have a much higher need for physicians than others, but it looks like decent positions can be found in decent locations. I have met one practicing physician, and NHSC scholar, who created her own position by finding a shortage area where she wanted to live that hadn't filled out the paperwork to be listed on the NHSC's website.

I am still in medical school and I am an NHSC scholar. So far things are pretty good. I have had very little paperwork. I get a monthly stipend and don't have a tuition bill to take care of. I don't know what things will be like in a few years when applying for jobs but so far there seems to be a variety of opportunities available in family medicine. This is less true for other primary care specialties, according to the website search tool. Some states have a much higher need for physicians than others, but it looks like decent positions can be found in decent locations. I have met one practicing physician, and NHSC scholar, who created her own position by finding a shortage area where she wanted to live that hadn't filled out the paperwork to be listed on the NHSC's website.

What was the application process like?

Can someone shed some light as to the competitiveness of the NHSC program? What percentage of applicants are admitted into the program? In the applicant brochure it says something like 210 awards for 1300 applications, is this true? If so, getting admitted into the program doesnt look very promising...

Can someone shed some light as to the competitiveness of the NHSC program? What percentage of applicants are admitted into the program? In the applicant brochure it says something like 210 awards for 1300 applications, is this true? If so, getting admitted into the program doesnt look very promising...

It definitely is pretty competitive. I did not get a scholarship my first try. My second try was successful.

The loan repayment program is MUCH less competitive.

Maybe this thread can be moved to the NHSC forum? Makes it a bit easier to find info regarding the program here on SDN.

I left it here, so that people interested in rural medicine could also find their way to the Public Health Service/Indian Health Service forum (which is in an out-of-the-way place). Much of the information in this thread is in various threads in that forum as well.

In the coming week, I'll try to find similar threads in that forum, and sticky them...that way they'll be easy to find. :)

I left it here, so that people interested in rural medicine could also find their way to the Public Health Service/Indian Health Service forum (which is in an out-of-the-way place). Much of the information in this thread is in various threads in that forum as well.

In the coming week, I'll try to find similar threads in that forum, and sticky them...that way they'll be easy to find. :)

:thumbup: cool

Is this scholarship program open to medical students regardless of their year? or do you have to apply to the program before matriculation?

Is this scholarship program open to medical students regardless of their year? or do you have to apply to the program before matriculation?

It is open to pre-MS1s, MS1s, and MS2s. Since the minimum service obligation that they will offer is 2 years, it doesn't make sense to apply as an MS3.

I applied as an MS1 and did not get it. I applied again as an MS2 and got it.

If you aren't a NHSC scholar and want to join a need area after you graduate, be sure to ensure none of your loans are co-signed as they won't apply. Additionally, be sure to watch the amounts they give you as they change from year to year.