How does DMU Podiatry operate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalredhead

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to see a recent thread about this school yet and I saw a post about what expectations NYCPM has for their students... can someone help me figure out the same questions for DMU?
  • How many courses are tied in with the DO students?
  • Are courses and lectures offered online?
  • Is attendance mandatory?
  • What's research like there? Is it as prominent as clinic opportunities?
  • What are some pros?
  • What are some cons?
Currently in the process of preparing an application for Fall 2018 matriculation and DMU looks like my top choice so I would love any feedback! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Caveat - I graduated in 2014 so may be different now

• How many courses are tied in with the DO students?
Nearly the whole first year and pharmacology the second year.

• Are courses and lectures offered online?
Most courses were recorded and posted online. Not unheard of for the profs to cut off the mike in class and give info to those who came.

• Is attendance mandatory?
Depends on the class

• What's research like there? Is it as prominent as clinic opportunities?
It is there if you are motivated and search it out. So no, not as prominent as clinical experiences.

• What are some pros?
Dependent on the individual but I liked: small class sizes, tighter integration with the DO students, small student to prof ratio in pod classes, I felt like most profs cared about us, I liked Des Moines, nice campus/area of town, was one of the cheaper schools when I attended

• What are some cons?
Also dependent on the individual but I didn't care for: not strong clinical rotations until you go on your off rotations in 3rd and 4th year, like with most schools they started to push more and more "kumbaya" extras which, to me, was a waste of time

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to add to what pacpod said:
DMU is definitely pushing for more research opportunities and there are plenty of research projects going on within the CPMS itself. But you are not limited to conduct podiatry-only research, as there are also public health, anatomy, pathology, microbiology research projects on campus that are open to DPM students.
The 3rd year clinical rotations have been weak, but it seems like the clinic is seeing more and more woundcare patients since one provider in the area left the town. Also you can do a month out-of-state rotation with some prominent DPMs in the filed (Dr. Sean Grambart, Dr. Scott Nelson and Dr. Joshua Vest). You will get to practice a lot of hands-on skills at these outside rotations as well as at VA Des Moines. If you don't want to leave the town then you can also rotate with DPMs who are at local ortho groups.
Overall, I have nothing to complain about my education at DMU. I think the school is a lot more organized and the curriculum is well structured.

Reactions: 1 user