how does acetazolamide cause hyperchloremia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why (mechanism). Acidosis makes sense, and so does hypokalemia. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's because carbonic anhydrase inhibitors prevent HCO3 reabsorption, so more sodium is being excreted as NaHCO3 instead of NaCl.

It causes a non-anion gap metabolic acidosis. As the negative bicarb is ridded by the kidney, another anion needs to fill its place in the serum, and this is done by Cl.

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes sense to me, but I could be totally wrong is:

Acidosis stimulates the release of aldosterone -> increase in activity of NaCl Cotransporter in early DCT-> Hyperchloremia

Lol, sorry to pick on you, but you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think there's one correct statement in there.

Technically, acidosis could INDIRECTLY stimulate Aldo via increased K+. But yeah, that response was certainly not correct (no offense to the poster).

every non-anion gap acidosis has hyperchloremia. it's inevitable, and unimportant

It causes a non-anion gap metabolic acidosis. As the negative bicarb is ridded by the kidney, another anion needs to fill its place in the serum, and this is done by Cl.

Thanks - these make the most sense. :)

Lol, sorry to pick on you, but you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think there's one correct statement in there.

Not even the part where I state "I could be totally wrong"?

Thanks for your input though, you're very helpful. :thumbup:

Recovered bicarb is transported into the blood across the basolateral membrane by HCO3/Cl exchanger. Decrease recovered bicarb and you decrease Cl exchange and thus secretion.

It may be due to the b intercalated cells at the collecting ducts that take in cl- and excrete hco3-. More hco3- in the tubule, less hco3 from intracellular side wants to go into the lumen of the tubule, and hence less cl- being excreted out.