How Do You Feel About Women In Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy friend of mine who wants to become a PA (I'm pre-med), and he was telling me that when I become a doctor, no man would want me, I'd be tired and ugly all the time, and it doesn't matter how good I look, I would immediately become unattractive if I made more money than whatever man I was interested in at the time. He actually told me that he wouldn't marry a woman who made more money than he did.

I thought it was hilarious. I had never actually spoken with someone who held such an archaic mindset.

Out of curiousity, what ethnicity is your friend?

My fiance is Mexican, and it is entirely unacceptable to him that I might one day make more money than he will. We started dating, and were serious, before I decided to become a doctor, so he really didn't have a choice. :laugh: I'm curious, though, about what would have happened if we'd met for the first time once I was already a doctor. It's just such a huge thing culturally for him to be the primary breadwinner and to take care of his wife - I'm sure it's like this in many other cultures as well.

As far as the tired and ugly comment, that's just rude. Maaaaaybe it applies during 3rd year and residency, but other than that it should be totally possible for you to get enough sleep and keep up your appearance as long as it's a priority.

Members don't see this ad.

That guy's an idiot. It does tend to be true that men want to make as much or more money than their spouse. That's no problem - just look to marry a male doctor or lawyer. There are lots of them.

Out of curiousity, what ethnicity is your friend?

My fiance is Mexican, and it is entirely unacceptable to him that I might one day make more money than he will. We started dating, and were serious, before I decided to become a doctor, so he really didn't have a choice. :laugh: I'm curious, though, about what would have happened if we'd met for the first time once I was already a doctor. It's just such a huge thing culturally for him to be the primary breadwinner and to take care of his wife - I'm sure it's like this in many other cultures as well.
As far as the tired and ugly comment, that's just rude. Maaaaaybe it applies during 3rd year and residency, but other than that it should be totally possible for you to get enough sleep and keep up your appearance as long as it's a priority.

Hey, don't spread false generalizations. :mad:

My dad is Mexican as well and I think he'd be the happiest man in the world if my mom made more money than he did. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, don't spread false generalizations. :mad:

My dad is Mexican as well and I think he'd be the happiest man in the world if my mom made more money than he did. :laugh:

Really? Sorry if it's a false generalization. It's just that his whole family thinks like that, and everyone I've met in Tijuana and Guadalajara thinks like that as well. Obviously it's not true for everyone, but it was explained to me as being a cultural thing.

Really? Sorry if it's a false generalization. It's just that his whole family thinks like that, and everyone I've met in Tijuana and Guadalajara thinks like that as well. Obviously it's not true for everyone, but it was explained to me as being a cultural thing.

The whole "everyone I've met" things strikes me as similar to that psychological concept that says we all just notice exactly the things that tend to confirm our preconceptions.

It would be like me saying all Americans are fat and ignorant of the world around them, which, trust me, many people in other countries think that way.

The whole "everyone I've met" things strikes me as similar to that psychological concept that says we all just notice exactly the things that tend to confirm our preconceptions.

It would be like me saying all Americans are fat and ignorant of the world around them, which, trust me, many people in other countries think that way.

All the Americans in Jesusland are fat and stupid anyway

I think that its stupid to say that one's culture has no bearing on their views... of course it does. I'm from a ethnicity where women are more second-class citizens than anything else, which colors perspective of the men raised in that culture.

Yes, I'm female so I must have a bleeding little heart for sick children and am probably stupid enough to go into something that will take me twice as long to pay off my loans and lead me to a life of bitterness and lack of success...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Awesome.

I think that its stupid to say that one's culture has no bearing on their views... of course it does. I'm from a ethnicity where women are more second-class citizens than anything else, which colors perspective of the men raised in that culture.

It's easier when the culture is a little more homogeneous than in the case of Hispanic cultures, which are a mix of many different races (native indians, blacks, europeans).

Within my country, you can expect to find 1000 different views and "mini-cultures", as you travel from one town or one neighborhood to the other. I know for foreigners it's easy to just throw everyone into the "Mexican" or "Cuban" or whathaveyou category, but it's not as simple as that, and that's sometimes hard for some outsiders to understand.

Yes, overall, the country shares major characteristics, but deep within it's more fragmented than it looks, given the differences in class, race, region of the country, etc.

That's what I'm trying to say in my previous posts. No men in my family has the assumed "macho" mentality I hear about...and while I'm sure there are men in my country who do have it, I'm also sure it's not exclusive of that country and that they are not the general rule.

Yes, I'm female so I must have a bleeding little heart for sick children and am probably stupid enough to go into something that will take me twice as long to pay off my loans and lead me to a life of bitterness and lack of success...

Wow, that's harsh. Some of us are really excited about primary care, know what we're getting into, and plan to pay off our debts during residency or very shortly thereafter. I know an awful lot of really happy, satisfied, fulfilled men and women who are FPs. It's not right for everyone, but it certainly is for some. OK, back to the original conversation, and sorry for the interruption.

Stop complaining. This isn't the 50's, you aren't oppressed anymore.

That and you insulted people who do want to go into those specialties.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy friend of mine who wants to become a PA (I'm pre-med), and he was telling me that when I become a doctor, no man would want me, I'd be tired and ugly all the time, and it doesn't matter how good I look, I would immediately become unattractive if I made more money than whatever man I was interested in at the time. He actually told me that he wouldn't marry a woman who made more money than he did.

I thought it was hilarious. I had never actually spoken with someone who held such an archaic mindset.

Sooooooo... how do you feel about this? This has prolly been discussed before, but I'm just curious. Are guys really that intimidated by women in prestigious careers? Would you date a female doctor?
BAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHA!!! No, if they are intimidated, you should probably not be interested anyway. And maybe you need new friends. Best of luck in becoming the best physician you can be.

What even is this thread

Reactions: 8 users
we haven't. e.i. tomorrow

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.