How Do You Feel About Women In Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freelove

MS-12....
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy friend of mine who wants to become a PA (I'm pre-med), and he was telling me that when I become a doctor, no man would want me, I'd be tired and ugly all the time, and it doesn't matter how good I look, I would immediately become unattractive if I made more money than whatever man I was interested in at the time. He actually told me that he wouldn't marry a woman who made more money than he did.

I thought it was hilarious. I had never actually spoken with someone who held such an archaic mindset.

Sooooooo... how do you feel about this? This has prolly been discussed before, but I'm just curious. Are guys really that intimidated by women in prestigious careers? Would you date a female doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Its really not that true anymore. Yes, men still have that inherent need to be 'protector,' but most men can do that nowadays without needing to be the main money maker.

You'd probably run into a few guys like that, but its pretty rare. Don't worry about it too much. Your bigger problem will be finding a guy who isn't concerned about how you're going to have kids and be a doctor.

Um...let's see. Someone else has an opinion about what I want to do with my life. I couldn't care less.

I think the statistics are (I heard this in a psych class) that about 75-80% of men with doctoral degrees tend to marry someone with a lesser amount of education, while something like 90% of women with doctoral degrees tend to marry a man with equal education.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is just ridiculous! If a man does not like the fact that I will be a doctor or, for that matter, anything else about me then that is just too bad! He can take a hike! I also think that is rude that your friend said you would be ugly! :mad:

I thought it was hilarious. I had never actually spoken with someone who held such an archaic mindset.

Sooooooo... how do you feel about this? This has prolly been discussed before, but I'm just curious. Are guys really that intimidated by women in prestigious careers? Would you date a female doctor?

It's naive of you to assume you'll make more than him. As a woman you have a higher probability of going into peds, family/internal med, or ob/gyn. With the exception of ob/gyn you won't break $200k.

Wow. What an ass. Honestly, I'd dump him as a friend.

If it realy was that way after med school, I'd shrug my sholders, date a woman, and figure that I'm better off without men if they are going to think that way :D

It's naive of you to assume you'll make more than him. As a woman you have a higher probability of going into peds, family/internal med, or ob/gyn. With the exception of ob/gyn you won't break $200k.

The guy is going to be a PA, so I'd say the probability of her making more money is high. Oh yeah, and those specialties you listed above make me cringe, and I'm female.

Would I date a female doctor? Hell I'm down with any female that says yes these days; I don't care what your job is.

I'd agree that the situation you described is pretty unreasonable. As for specialty, you have plenty of choices and opportunities regardless of gender.

My two cents--there's something inherently sexy about a stethoscope and frequently washed/softened hospital surgical scrubs which gently cover a sweet and loving woman. :love:

Yeah, but thats still a lot. Even is she only makes 150k she has a high probability of making more than him. Depending on what he does as a PA.

I am married to a woman who makes much, much more than me. Let me tell you first hand that it is the greatest thing in the world. :D

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy friend of mine who wants to become a PA (I'm pre-med), and he was telling me that when I become a doctor, no man would want me, I'd be tired and ugly all the time, and it doesn't matter how good I look, I would immediately become unattractive if I made more money than whatever man I was interested in at the time. He actually told me that he wouldn't marry a woman who made more money than he did.

Troll? This is rediculous. Any dude who talks about female doctors that throroughly either has a doctor mom or dated one. Either him, or the OP is a troll.

Troll? This is rediculous. Any dude who talks about female doctors that throroughly either has a doctor mom or dated one. Either him, or the OP is a troll.

Eh. I've heard people hold that point of view before. Sadly, such is life. My boyfriend's dad also holds that the person who earns the most money should wear the pants in the household, exclusively. And clearly, that women shouldn't earn more. (Kind of ironic, that expression... *literally*, aside from figuratively speaking, my boyfriend doesn't like wearing pants.... :rolleyes: )

Edit: Hell, my *mom* doesn't want me to be a doctor because of the "no guys will..." theory. One day when I was in my late teens I bought some fireworks to set off with some friends and she found them and confiscated them, saying that she'd let me keep them if I were a guy but as it was, if I had an accident and scarred my face nobody would want me. SO frustrating.

Doesn't really matter. Any guy who thinks like that isn't worthwhile, anyway. It's just sad :(.

Guys now want rich women, that is the new trend, since they are tired of getting hosed down in divorce courts.

As far as looks, the PA was right. No matter how cute you are, lack of sleep and stress will do some nasty things to your looks especially your skin. This I know because I have actually done extensive reading on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that most guys on sdn think like how your friend described, but the average cross section of guys are very intimidated by women going into such professions. It sucks!

Wow. What an ass. Honestly, I'd dump him as a friend.

If it realy was that way after med school, I'd shrug my sholders, date a woman, and figure that I'm better off without men if they are going to think that way :D

mazel tov

Women want more power in the workplace. More money. More opportunities.

I say give it all to them. I don't mind being a stay at home dad or a trophy golddigger husband. I'd stay at home and surf SDN all day long.

Let women rule the earth and it will eliminate alot of problems. However there needs to be a stipulation that all women cannot work within a 7 day period every month, to be determined by each female individually to avoid worldwide catastrophes and the destruction of humanity and life and the universe as we know it.

Reactions: 1 user
However there needs to be a stipulation that all women cannot work within a 7 week period every month, to be determined by each female individually to avoid worldwide catastrophes and the destruction of humanity and life and the universe as we know it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:laugh:

I say give it all to them. I don't mind being a stay at home dad or a trophy golddigger husband. I'd stay at home and surf SDN all day long.

Let women rule the earth and it will eliminate alot of problems. However there needs to be a stipulation that all women cannot work within a 7 week period every month, to be determined by each female individually to avoid worldwide catastrophes and the destruction of humanity and life and the universe as we know it.

Is that what you think stay-at-home moms do? You're in for a rude awakening. It's a 24/7 job with no pay, vacation, sick days, or benefits package.

Is that what you think stay-at-home moms do? You're in for a rude awakening. It's a 24/7 job with no pay, vacation, sick days, or benefits package.

He's just pullin' your chain, baylor. Easy now... :)

No I know what stay at home moms do. My mom was a homemaker until she decided to go to grad school and become a database programmer. I certainly made sure that homemaking was a 24/7 job for her when I was young.

I'm just saying that if and when I become a trophy husband golddigger, SDN and SRO and DOTA will be my entire world.

The only bad side to giving women power and taking them out of homes is that soccer moms and milfs will be virtually extinct. Of course, nature is balance, and there would be more Addison Montgomerys running about which is good too.

the only differences we have is that you think we have differences and i do not because i have only disagreed with you three times: this time about not having differences at all, the time about UTSW which i ended up agreeing with you and saying sorry, and then the time following the UTSW fiasco where you said we disagreed on it but i said i disagreed that we disagreed because i actually ended up agreeing with you.

the only differences we have is that you think we have differences and i do not because i have only disagreed with you three times: this time about not having differences at all, the time about UTSW which i ended up agreeing with you and saying sorry, and then the time following the UTSW fiasco where you said we disagreed on it but i said i disagreed that we disagreed because i actually ended up agreeing with you.

I know, I know, and I was joking. I do believe that was the only time we've disagreed, at least at first. I don't hate you. :)

Its really not that true anymore. Yes, men still have that inherent need to be 'protector,' but most men can do that nowadays without needing to be the main money maker.

You'd probably run into a few guys like that, but its pretty rare. Don't worry about it too much. Your bigger problem will be finding a guy who isn't concerned about how you're going to have kids and be a doctor.

If a girl is a med student/doctor/resident, she becomes much more attractive to me

you're also your own boss, which is pretty sweet

logo

Sit back and watch

And for my
1871_two_cents_rev.jpg
...I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I would love my wife to work, and if she makes more than me, so be it. It will only cause me to buy my murcielago faster, and who needs to complain about that.

Um...let's see. Someone else has an opinion about what I want to do with my life. I couldn't care less.

I hear you. Those types of discussions seem to be the main party line here on sdn.

Oh yeah, and those specialties you listed above make me cringe, and I'm female.

Lol you're not even in school yet, how would you know if you like them? Wait until you're on service for a month, then judge. You say now they make you cringe, but like most females when you're older and wiser [match time] and thinking about family the cake hours will seem that much more alluring.

Are guys really that intimidated by women in prestigious careers? Would you date a female doctor?

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that men don't care how women look (no makeup, no shower in 36hrs, forgot her toothbrush at home), what matters is what they're like on the inside. Who cares if she hasn't had time to work out in the last eight months. Also, sheer exhaustion is wicked sexy, since it completely prevents anything resembling intelligent conversation. And, of course, hearing constantly about your job (since that's all you really have time to do) is just so really great.

In fact, I doubt dating will be a problem at all for you. That is, as long as you don't mind waiting three weeks in between each date, because, you know, that's how often you have a day off.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that men don't care how women look (no makeup, no shower in 36hrs, forgot her toothbrush at home), what matters is what they're like on the inside. Who cares if she hasn't had time to work out in the last eight months. Also, sheer exhaustion is wicked sexy, since it completely prevents anything resembling intelligent conversation. And, of course, hearing constantly about your job (since that's all you really have time to do) is just so really great.

In fact, I doubt dating will be a problem at all for you. That is, as long as you don't mind waiting three weeks in between each date, because, you know, that's how often you have a day off.

Of course, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, Tired. Women don't care a bit what you look like, how much time you have for them, or how exhausted you are. As for droning on and on about yourself and how life as a young doc is so demanding... chicks totally dig that stuff. Just as long as you can bring home enough $$$ to feed us with bon bons, that's all we really ask.

If you stop and think about it, you won't be much of a prize during your medical training, either... :smuggrin:

If you stop and think about it, you won't be much of a prize during your medical training, either... :smuggrin:

Oh believe me, I know. Four years of medical school, 20lb weight gain, and way too many burgers. I see what's coming.

Fortunately my wife will make more than me during my entire residency (God bless bloated nursing salaries), so if she wants out, it'll cost her a pretty penny. :D

I predict 10 more post before this thread is either moved, closed, or deleted. I'm leaning more towards a move.

Yes, I'm female so I must have a bleeding little heart for sick children and am probably stupid enough to go into something that will take me twice as long to pay off my loans and lead me to a life of bitterness and lack of success...

Between the large hump on my back and my desire to become a doktor, no mens is ever going to want me!!! *sobs*

not really. If they feel that way, well then their loss.

Any incompetent/inadequate man will be intimidated by an intelligent financially stable woman, regardless of her profession.

Let women rule the earth and it will eliminate alot of problems. However there needs to be a stipulation that all women cannot work within a 7 week period every month, to be determined by each female individually to avoid worldwide catastrophes and the destruction of humanity and life and the universe as we know it.

Don't you mean 7 day period every month? ;)

I am only attracted to women who are smarter than me.

Getting spanked in the classroom is hot.

/thread

He actually told me that he wouldn't marry a woman who made more money than he did.
Well, that rules out whether or not you were talking to K-Fed.....

My two cents--there's something inherently sexy about a stethoscope and frequently washed/softened hospital surgical scrubs which gently cover a sweet and loving woman. :love:
that's why I married a nurse....;)

Fortunately my wife will make more than me during my entire residency (God bless bloated nursing salaries), so if she wants out, it'll cost her a pretty penny. :D
Not so fast. If she supported you during medical school, in quite a few/most states, she's got dibs on part of all of your future income.

Between the large hump on my back and my desire to become a doktor, no mens is ever going to want me!!! *sobs*

not really. If they feel that way, well then their loss.

It's ok, we'll get it all straightened out... :laugh:

Not so fast. If she supported you during medical school, in quite a few/most states, she's got dibs on part of all of your future income.

Really? I was under the impression that if she left me while I was still poor, she would have to pay me alimony.

Let me know, I may have to give up my mistress if I'm wrong . . . ;)

hmm, well as a guy who's last gf was an art history major, I can easily say that MD degree is much more attractive in a female than an MRS degree.

My aunt (my maternal uncle's wife) was chatting on the phone with my mom, and they were talking about my 23 year old sister, and my aunt had the nerve to say that women do not belong in medicine. Her reasoning was that women have to take care of the kids, cook, clean, be a good wife to the husband, and they should be able to work, but not to the point where it affects the other "important" things. I saw where she was coming from, especially since she is from a different country (i.e. difference values), but she needs to realize this is America!

My aunt (my maternal uncle's wife) was chatting on the phone with my mom, and they were talking about my 23 year old sister, and my aunt had the nerve to say that women do not belong in medicine. Her reasoning was that women have to take care of the kids, cook, clean, be a good wife to the husband, and they should be able to work, but not to the point where it affects the other "important" things. I saw where she was coming from, especially since she is from a different country (i.e. difference values), but she needs to realize this is America!

Because nannys and babysitters are great for kids! Her reasoning is valid that there should be someone there during important developmental times to read and connect with the infant/child. Preferably this would be a family member and especially the mother during early infancy. The rise of the grandmother as caregiver is a new development in the U.S. and works quite well. Grandparents love to play with the kids while the parents are at work then send them away. It's nice to know that you don't have to wake up every 10 minutes to a crying baby.

When my wife was applying for MSTP, her boss told her to think about it because of some of the reasons listed above. We met when she was taking the USMLE after MSII, and got married soon after. I think smart women are very attractive these days, it's no longer the reign of the trophy wives / homemakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.