How do well on the PCAT coming from a 99 composite student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haro123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,

when i started studying for the PCAT, I went through a lot of posts/threads on how to do well on the PCAT, how to prepare for it, and how long. Luckily I was able to get a 99 composite on the PCAT, and i would like to share my study advice/tips.

If you wanted to know more specifically about my scores, I took it Sept. 28th 2012.

Verbal Ability: 82
Biology: 99
Reading Comp: 75
Quantitative: 99
Chemistry: 99
Composite: 99
Writing: 4.0

So,

1. plan a schedule with how much you want to accomplish each week.

If you're going to through a review book (like Kaplan, or the online tests), make sure you do the practice problems, review the explanations, even the one's you got right so that you get another perspective, mark the one's you got wrong because you'll revisit it.

I went through studying it for about 5 months. Each week I planned to read 30-40 pages from my review book and work on my ochem/chemistry/biology or reading.

The most important thing is, however, is to understand WHAT you MISSED and WHY you missed. If you missed it, and skip it, you might as well not study, because you're just wasting time.

the PCAT is a lot about doing a lot problems in a small-limited time frame, and you need to practice. so make sure you simulate practice-test conditions when you feel you are confident with the problems. When you start off, you won't know all the material, so you can't time yourself; however, when you feel you have gone over it enough, and are ready to take practice tests, TIME YOURSELF.

2. don't use just one resource.

use kaplan, the princeton review, the kaplan class, REA, barron's; try to get exposure many types of problems, of course with the understanding that some materials aren't as good as others, but if you come into the the test, with the belief that everything you studied will be exactly for the test, you will be shocked, unnerved, and waste precious time trying to get your focus back.

3. FOCUS ONLY on your weak areas

don't waste time going stuff you already know. if you're good at math, and scored well on that section durign a practice exam, learn and focus on your weak areas.

For me, I was weak at reading and writing, as you can see from my scores so I focused on that a lot. However, I knew while I did well in school for biology and chem, there was no way I remembered everything. I didn't need to worry about math, so I spent little time on that. I knew that in order to get a high score I needed to focus a lot of time on biology/chemistry and even more time on reading/writing.

4. If you're hoping for a 20% increase, don't expect it.

Many people take practice exams, get 70% composites, and believe that their score will jump 20% on the day of the practice exam. Don't fool yourself. The practice exam (3 of them provided by pearson vue are real problems from real past tests with real grading scales). If you scoring around the 70% range, your score may be +/- 10% on the day of the real exam.

--------
The materials I used for studying and my personal thoughts

Kaplan - (moderate-difficult practice problems)
Kaplan Class - good review, good practice problems (but it better be, because I paid a lot money for this class)
The Princeton Review - more difficult than needed, but if you do well on this, you do very well on the test
REA - excellent. highly recommend due to the numerous practice problems
Barron's - too easy

I started studying in May and didn't take the test until September. I thought I would be ready for it July, but even I had trouble keeping up to my schedule and needed my time. So learn from my mistakes!!! =P

I think I covered the most important topics, but feel free to ask me any questions you have about the PCAT, or pharmacy

--------------
Accepted - MWU - glendale class of 2016.
Scheduled interview - UofA
Declined Interview to - Washington State, Campbell University, MWU Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So,

when i started studying for the PCAT, I went through a lot of posts/threads on how to do well on the PCAT, how to prepare for it, and how long. Luckily I was able to get a 99 composite on the PCAT, and i would like to share my study advice/tips.

If you wanted to know more specifically about my scores, I took it Sept. 28th 2012.

So,

If you're going to through a review book (like Kaplan, or the online tests), make sure you do the practice problems, review the explanations, even the one's you got right so that you get another perspective, mark the one's you got wrong because you'll revisit it.

I went through studying it for about 5 months. Each week I planned to read 30-40 pages from my review book and work on my ochem/chemistry/biology or reading.

The most important thing is, however, is to understand WHAT you MISSED and WHY you missed. If you missed it, and skip it, you might as well not study, because you're just wasting time.

the PCAT is a lot about doing a lot problems in a small-limited time frame, and you need to practice. so make sure you simulate practice-test conditions when you feel you are confident with the problems. When you start off, you won't know all the material, so you can't time yourself; however, when you feel you have gone over it enough, and are ready to take practice tests, TIME YOURSELF.

use kaplan, the princeton review, the kaplan class, REA, barron's; try to get exposure many types of problems, of course with the understanding that some materials aren't as good as others, but if you come into the the test, with the belief that everything you studied will be exactly for the test, you will be shocked and waste precious time.

don't waste time going stuff you already know. if you're good at math, and scored well on that section durign a practice exam, learn and focus on your weak areas.

For me, I was weak at reading and writing, as you can see from my scores so I focused on that a lot. However, I knew while I did well in school for biology and chem, there was no way I remembered everything. I didn't need to worry about math, so I spent little time on that. I knew that in order to get a high score I needed to focus a lot of time on biology/chemistry and even more time on reading/writing.

Many people take practice exams, get 70% composites, and believe that their score will jump 20% on the day of the practice exam. Don't fool yourself. The practice exam (3 of them provided by pearson vue are real problems from real past tests with real grading scales). If you scoring around the 70% range, your score may be +/- 10% on the day of the real exam.

--------

Kaplan Class - good review, good practice problems (but it better be, because I paid a lot money for this class)
The Princeton Review - more difficult than needed, but if you do well on this, you do very well on the test
Barron's - too easy

I started studying in May and didn't take the test until September. I thought I would be ready for it July, but even I had trouble keeping up to my schedule and needed my time. So learn from my mistakes!!! =P

I think I covered the most important topics, but feel free to ask me any questions you have about the PCAT, or pharmacy

--------------
Waiting for - UofA

Thanks for the post. Question..

As someone taking the test in about a week, which specific subjects in Chemistry would you recommend learning/covering if you had limited time to study? I've been studying but need to make as much progress as possible with chem. I haven't focused on it much.

Thanks for the post. Question..

As someone taking the test in about a week, which specific subjects in Chemistry would you recommend learning/covering if you had limited time to study? I've been studying but need to make as much progress as possible with chem. I haven't focused on it much.

I would focus more on general chemistry than organic chemistry. Organic chemistry has too many reactions to memorize (SN1, SN2, E2, E1 - that if you remember taking orgo, you can't possibly remember every reaction for every compound). Also, after they revised the PCAT after July, the took out the plant biology/ecology and orgo from the PCAT and added more biochemistry and general chemistry.

I would only learn the basic of orgo, such as

1. nomenclature
2. just understand what a SN1 reaction is, and an example of it.
3. general reactions (like substitution, reduction, oxidation - of course this comes from general chemistry too)

For gen chem, I would know

1. half life reaction
2. the trends of the periodic table
3. correlation b/w bond strength and bond length.

With only limited time, i would stress doing the practice exams provided by pearson testing, (the 3 you pay for $80), because that really gives you a sense of how the test is like. If you understand all the problems in those tests, you should be set. Don't stress yourself out, the test gives you limited time, and can't give you essay problems; these problems are easy to do, and easy to figure out.

GOOD LUCK!

Hello!

How much anatomy/physiology was on there? Also how much of the Qant section was on pre/calc? Should I memorize my trig identities? Haven't taken math in years so I've been reviewing but still rusty on it.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

How much anatomy/physiology was on there? Also how much of the Qant section was on pre/calc? Should I memorize my trig identities? Haven't taken math in years so I've been reviewing but still rusty on it.

Thank you in advance!

Anatomy and physiology was important because you needed to know what kind of hormones did what in the human body. Also what/how the blood flows in order is surely to be a question. I would understand the key parts of each organ system's functions and terms.

The Quant section stressed a lot more on simple algebra/statistics. Some Pre-calculus was on there, but it would usually be a simple trig identity.

when studying for trig identities, use the simple acronyms like

soh cah toa - sine is opposite over hypotenuse when studying. I would not go over crazy formulas like the double angle formula or addition forumlas.

hope this helps,

Hey guys. I spent the last while on the outside looking in, watching you all post and decided I should finally join, now that my PCAT is over. I know this wall is technically for 99%ers but I figured I did decent and I owe it to other students to give some help, seeing as you guys all helped me out. So here are my scores:

Verbal Ability: 87%
Biology: 99%
Reading Comprehension: 86%
Quantitative Ability: 85%
Chemistry: 99%
Composite: 98%

I am pretty surprised to be honest! I can tell you right now, I didn't study 4 months in advance like some others. This is what I did:

I finished final exams last semester on December 7th (I had previously gotten all my study materials but didn't go through them at all by this point.) which gave me exactly one month to my exam on January 8th. Took the first few day off because I was pretty tired from exams. Then to work...

I bought the Collins pack and the Kaplan Biology (basically what the guy from the original "99th percentile club" did).

Chem: This (and math) was my weakest subject before I started studying. Honestly, Collins is a champ here. I hadn't done gen chem for a couple years and I found his stuff very helpful. Went through and made notes on both the gen chem and o-chem packets. and worked through all the packets.

QA: Again, Collins is GOOD! The packet of notes he gives are very brief so I suggest just going through your calc notes in detail. I accidently threw my calc 1 and 2 notes out :beat: so I borrowed my girlfriend's calc notes and just studied those. The practice tests that Collins gives are AWESOME! probably the best kind you can get. The actual PCAT had pretty much the same stuff as collins math and the pearson practice test except WAY more complex! I know people always say this but, for math on the actual test,if you don't know it click one and keep going. You don't have any time to spare on the real test!

Biology: Collins packet was condensed! I went through it and did some of his tests and noticed a lot of material wasn't covered. So I filled in all the gaps by going through the Kaplan Biology section (not the part from Animal Behavior to the end). I'll talk about this more later, but I figured that I should mention...I have never taken a microbiology course and I still managed on the microbio section of the test.

VA: Before I started studying, I would laugh at all you guys who got low VA. But then I actually tried it and...holy crap! VA was probably my worst score! Given the 1 month that I had, I wasn't up for memorizing a bunch of words so i only did the Collins tests.

RC: Same story as VA...I was terrible at first! The only studying I did for this was through the Pearson practice tests though. I didn't hear good things about Collin's RC so I just figured I'd stick to the pearson tests.

I could go into insane details of how I studied but overall, this is what I would do:
1) STUDY THE COLLINS PACKETS AND TESTS especially for chem and math and va. Multiple of the questions are from there. Go through them multiple times and make sure to go through the corrections. even if you get them right! Try to work your way to getting them done with at least 5-10 minutes left. It made the Bio and Chem sections way easier for the test.
2) Go through Kaplan Biology to supplement Collins. To tell you the truth, before the test I was freaking out the most about Bio. I had never taken a microbiology course and literally the only info I knew in terms of microbiology came from Collins (the updated version). I was so worried that it wasn't enough but it ended up having enough microbiology details for me. Either that, or my molecular biology and biochemistry knowledge paid off. As much as people bash collin's bio, I'm pretty sure it saved my life...so do all his tests!
3) Buy the Pearson tests and do them in progression! Those tests are a lifesaver! Make sure you review them after you have completed them. I sugest doing them in progression because it gets you aquainted to them. If you start doing them 2 days before the test and you are surprised by the format and questions, you only have 2 days to adapt.
4) If you are reading this and you are freaking out about how to study...get off this website! Honestly, this website is great for advice on study materials and what not, but I spent way too many hours in the past month on this forum, searching up how to study for microbiology, what kind of chem to know, etc, etc, freaking the **** out of myself when I could have spent that time studying and staying more calm.

Honestly, I spent approximately one month studying for this test (minus the week of christmas because I got way too distracted) and I managed to pull off a decent score. that's not because I am smart...My first pearson practice test was SOO BAD that I had to stop the timer at one point and just do the questions. I was able to do well because I kept practicing over and over again. I made sure I was done all my collins tests a week before the exam and then spent three days re-going through every single exam and making sure I could get them done in a timely fashion. then I did my last pearson test a few days before so I had time to review it.

Once again, practice, practice, practice! I'm sure that i lucked out on the questions i got for some sections but even with that, I think the key to my success was making sure I had all the info drilled into my head. Again...stay calm and PLEASE do not make the mistake I did...if you are panicking when you read these posts, get off this website and go study. It's a better use of your time.

I know it's not very ordered or concise, but those are my recommendations to you all =)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I spent the last while on the outside looking in, watching you all post and decided I should finally join, now that my PCAT is over. I know this wall is technically for 99%ers but I figured I did decent and I owe it to other students to give some help, seeing as you guys all helped me out. So here are my scores:

Verbal Ability: 87%
Biology: 99%
Reading Comprehension: 86%
Quantitative Ability: 85%
Chemistry: 99%
Composite: 98%

I am pretty surprised to be honest! I can tell you right now, I didn't study 4 months in advance like some others. This is what I did:

I finished final exams last semester on December 7th (I had previously gotten all my study materials but didn't go through them at all by this point.) which gave me exactly one month to my exam on January 8th. Took the first few day off because I was pretty tired from exams. Then to work...

I bought the Collins pack and the Kaplan Biology (basically what the guy from the original "99th percentile club" did).

Chem: This (and math) was my weakest subject before I started studying. Honestly, Collins is a champ here. I hadn't done gen chem for a couple years and I found his stuff very helpful. Went through and made notes on both the gen chem and o-chem packets. and worked through all the packets.

QA: Again, Collins is GOOD! The packet of notes he gives are very brief so I suggest just going through your calc notes in detail. I accidently threw my calc 1 and 2 notes out :beat: so I borrowed my girlfriend's calc notes and just studied those. The practice tests that Collins gives are AWESOME! probably the best kind you can get. The actual PCAT had pretty much the same stuff as collins math and the pearson practice test except WAY more complex! I know people always say this but, for math on the actual test,if you don't know it click one and keep going. You don't have any time to spare on the real test!

Biology: Collins packet was condensed! I went through it and did some of his tests and noticed a lot of material wasn't covered. So I filled in all the gaps by going through the Kaplan Biology section (not the part from Animal Behavior to the end). I'll talk about this more later, but I figured that I should mention...I have never taken a microbiology course and I still managed on the microbio section of the test.

VA: Before I started studying, I would laugh at all you guys who got low VA. But then I actually tried it and...holy crap! VA was probably my worst score! Given the 1 month that I had, I wasn't up for memorizing a bunch of words so i only did the Collins tests.

RC: Same story as VA...I was terrible at first! The only studying I did for this was through the Pearson practice tests though. I didn't hear good things about Collin's RC so I just figured I'd stick to the pearson tests.

I could go into insane details of how I studied but overall, this is what I would do:
1) STUDY THE COLLINS PACKETS AND TESTS especially for chem and math and va. Multiple of the questions are from there. Go through them multiple times and make sure to go through the corrections. even if you get them right! Try to work your way to getting them done with at least 5-10 minutes left. It made the Bio and Chem sections way easier for the test.
2) Go through Kaplan Biology to supplement Collins. To tell you the truth, before the test I was freaking out the most about Bio. I had never taken a microbiology course and literally the only info I knew in terms of microbiology came from Collins (the updated version). I was so worried that it wasn't enough but it ended up having enough microbiology details for me. Either that, or my molecular biology and biochemistry knowledge paid off. As much as people bash collin's bio, I'm pretty sure it saved my life...so do all his tests!
3) Buy the Pearson tests and do them in progression! Those tests are a lifesaver! Make sure you review them after you have completed them. I sugest doing them in progression because it gets you aquainted to them. If you start doing them 2 days before the test and you are surprised by the format and questions, you only have 2 days to adapt.
4) If you are reading this and you are freaking out about how to study...get off this website! Honestly, this website is great for advice on study materials and what not, but I spent way too many hours in the past month on this forum, searching up how to study for microbiology, what kind of chem to know, etc, etc, freaking the **** out of myself when I could have spent that time studying and staying more calm.

Honestly, I spent approximately one month studying for this test (minus the week of christmas because I got way too distracted) and I managed to pull off a decent score. that's not because I am smart...My first pearson practice test was SOO BAD that I had to stop the timer at one point and just do the questions. I was able to do well because I kept practicing over and over again. I made sure I was done all my collins tests a week before the exam and then spent three days re-going through every single exam and making sure I could get them done in a timely fashion. then I did my last pearson test a few days before so I had time to review it.

Once again, practice, practice, practice! I'm sure that i lucked out on the questions i got for some sections but even with that, I think the key to my success was making sure I had all the info drilled into my head. Again...stay calm and PLEASE do not make the mistake I did...if you are panicking when you read these posts, get off this website and go study. It's a better use of your time.

I know it's not very ordered or concise, but those are my recommendations to you all =)

Thanks for sharing :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So,

So,

use kaplan, the princeton review, the kaplan class, REA, barron's; try to get exposure many types of problems, of course with the understanding that some materials aren't as good as others, but if you come into the the test, with the belief that everything you studied will be exactly for the test, you will be shocked, unnerved, and waste precious time trying to get your focus back.

--------

Barron's - too easy

--------------
Scheduled interview - UofA
Hey there am taking pcat in fall 17... i also have a 5 month study plan. Does the online computer slow u down? Or is easy to acess... i am taking alot if practice problems and time myself. My weakness is in math section. Thanks for d tips found it very useful!

Hey there am taking pcat in fall 17... i also have a 5 month study plan. Does the online computer slow u down? Or is easy to acess... i am taking alot if practice problems and time myself. My weakness is in math section. Thanks for d tips found it very useful!

I took the PCAT for the first time in July. Being computer based itself did not slow me down, but the online calculator did. I found it easier to work every thing out longhand. If you are going to need the calculator a lot, I would take online practice tests to get practice with it.

Reactions: 1 user