How do people do research during second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AORiverContra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation: I have no research right now. Should I start research during second year?

I was supposed to be starting a project during MS1 summer, but it looks like it's not going to work out. Now starting MS2, and I want to put 100% effort into classes/step 1 studying, and not do research. But I know I have to do research at some point. Would it be wise to try to find a project to join that has a low workload?
Questions:
-How many hours a week would be manageable to do research during second year?
-How many hours a week would you do research during dedicated Step 1 period, if at all? If you're working on someone else's project, and Step 1 period comes around, is it acceptable to tell your PI that you can't do anything during the Step 1 study period? This is the kind of conflict I'd be worried about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
-How many hours a week would be manageable to do research during second year?
-How many hours a week would you do research during dedicated Step 1 period, if at all? If you're working on someone else's project, and Step 1 period comes around, is it acceptable to tell your PI that you can't do anything during the Step 1 study period? This is the kind of conflict I'd be worried about.

How many hours is completely up to you and how much you study a day. It's not uncommon to stop doing research during STEP1 and most PI are understanding of that.

Don't do research during step 1 study period.

How much you can get away with during the M2 year depends on your capabilities and goals, but some amount is achievable for most people. Keep in mind that after M2 you're going to even less time as a third year.

Reactions: 1 users