How do osteopaths practice neurology differently than allopaths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted612812

Members don't see this ad.

I assume they would practice the same way as any other neurologists. The only thing that might be different is that DO's might use OMT as part of their treatment of some patients.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this is n=1 but the DO neurologist I shadowed this year was VERY conscious about strength testing and doing a complete physical exam on all new patients. Besides that I don't know how MDs and DOs would practice differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI 'osteopath' is an antiquated term. Not only semantics either, being that today it refers to those who exclusively practice OMT, such as practitioners overseas - not physicians- whose practice is restricted to physical medicine only. I'm sure there are still old-school DOs who refer to themselves as osteopaths stateside, but the vast majority of us do not.

To answer your question, there shouldn't be much difference between a DO and MD neurologist. Any solid neurological exam should include detailed MSK strength. Maybe... maybe you'll find the DO who utilizes OMT when treating headaches. Other than that, any differences will likely be based on an individual's training and personal preference.

Reactions: 1 users
No difference. I tPA, send pts to embolectomy, botox migrainers, co-manage NCCU pts, and manage everything no differently than my colleagues. Perhaps I had more familiarity of NMSK anatomy at the beginning of my residency but all of that can be self-taught. We all take the same boards by ABPN if you go to a ACGME Neuro residency.

The thing about OMT is if you don't practice it, you'll forget it like any other procedure. Only time I use OMT is when my wife has migraines =)

Where is I see a big difference in practice style is not degree, but where people did their residencies/fellowship along with their personalities. Of course we all strive to practice evidence-based medicine but some are more aggressive vs conservative for diagnostic/treatment but this is true for most of medicine.

No difference. I tPA, send pts to embolectomy, botox migrainers, co-manage NCCU pts, and manage everything no differently than my colleagues. Perhaps I had more familiarity of NMSK anatomy at the beginning of my residency but all of that can be self-taught. We all take the same boards by ABPN if you go to a ACGME Neuro residency.

The thing about OMT is if you don't practice it, you'll forget it like any other procedure. Only time I use OMT is when my wife has migraines =)

Where is I see a big difference in practice style is not degree, but where people did their residencies/fellowship along with their personalities. Of course we all strive to practice evidence-based medicine but some are more aggressive vs conservative for diagnostic/treatment but this is true for most of medicine.
OMT is pretty great for tension headaches. Doesn't work for very long, but if my gf is having a tension headache some suboccipital tension release/counterstrain of the neck muscles/subscapular lift in combination can relieve it within five minutes, and it buys her three days or so before I have to do it again (she does a lot of painting, so there's a lot of looking up and down at weird angles and using her shoulders in ways that tend to tense them up). OMT isn't really a solution for people with issues like this, as the real solution should be a long-term adjustment of their work ergonomics so that they don't end up with these issues in the first place, but for those that can't or aren't willing to put effort into ergonomics, OMT can provide fast relief. Other than that, can't imagine there'd be any difference between DO and MD neurologists.

Reactions: 1 users
They focus on the whole individual, and not just the disease. ;)