How do I proceed with a foreign undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pansy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been thinking about medschool for a while. My situation is as follows.

Undergrad: India - Bachelors in Engineering & Computer Science : GPA (We didn't have a conventional GPA, I'm not sure how to convert this). I've taken Physics & General Chemistry in year 1 along with Physics Lab and Chemistry Lab.

Masters: Texas - I have a Masters Degree in Computer Science with a focus in Cloud Networking: GPA 3.6

Work Experience (2 years): Working at a notable software company as a consultant, worked on projects for many popular companies and carried high responsibilities.

Nationality: US Citizen

From what I understand, I lack prerequisites and extra curricular.

I'm really not sure where to begin, so I've been reading up on things from SDN and taking a look at material regarding MCAT. Would I be looking at going back to school for a post-bach? Which courses shouldI be looking to take to satisfy these? Would the Chemistry I took in India account for anything?

The whole process feels daunting, I want to take this a step at a time. Could anyone help me come up with a plan on how to proceed from this point on?

I appreciate any help, thank you.
- Lord of the Pancakes

Members don't see this ad.

I would buy the MSAR and see what the medical schools require of you as far as US bachelor's degree. Can't speak to that but thought someone said almost all required either Canadian or US bachelor's degree.

Can't really speak for grade conversion from India either - not sure how AMCAS would convert that if it's not already been done to a school here? Maybe your application for Master's degree did that???

GPA of the Masters won't really matter. You need to have that same GPA or better for BCPM at the undergraduate level (chemistry, organic, physics biology, biochemistry, genetics, etc.)

Where to start.

Breathe. It is a long path and not one that most do in a year or so. Those who try to do that often fail (there are the n-1, however).

Take to med schools in your area - start at the admissions office and ask them. That'll give you a starting point.

Keep asking questions here. Despite the rumors that SDN is awful, I've found much needed guidance, advice and support here from almost everyone.

Best of luck!