how do I mix work out and studying??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I try to do weights 4 days per week for 40 minutes and run 3 days per week for 45 minutes while studying 60 hours per week.

But if I do weights, I feel extremely tired despite getting 6~7 hour sleep, and my brain power declines on next day. If I work on mcat verbal section, I cannot remember the stuff I read while doing questions.

Other people and my friends in medical school, they manage to use work out to boost their studying. and this does not happen to me.

Am I not eating enough? I consume about 2000~2500 calories per day. I am 6 feet tall, 185 pounds.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be eating a little bit more. Maybe 300 calories more. About being tired, try taking naps. Even if you don't fall asleep, just resting is a good idea. If that doesn't work, try cutting back your running/weight time. It seems a bit too much. Maybe 30/30min each?

I try to do weights 4 days per week for 40 minutes and run 3 days per week for 45 minutes while studying 60 hours per week.

But if I do weights, I feel extremely tired despite getting 6~7 hour sleep, and my brain power declines on next day. If I work on mcat verbal section, I cannot remember the stuff I read while doing questions.

Other people and my friends in medical school, they manage to use work out to boost their studying. and this does not happen to me.

Am I not eating enough? I consume about 2000~2500 calories per day. I am 6 feet tall, 185 pounds.

When do you workout? And if you're studying for MCAT/school then I wouldn't follow a workout like that.... That's too much for me. I get by fine with working out 3-4x's a week. You're doing too much, imo, if you're doing MCAT/classes. Try cutting back and see what happens :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you workout? And if you're studying for MCAT/school then I wouldn't follow a workout like that.... That's too much for me. I get by fine with working out 3-4x's a week. You're doing too much, imo, if you're doing MCAT/classes. Try cutting back and see what happens :idea:

I work out at 10:30 pm then til 11:15 pm. Then I go to bed at 1:00 am and wake up at 8 or 8 30am. If I don't work out then my performance dramatically improves. For ex, if I take EK verbal mini test, I get 11/15 without work out while getting 6/15 after having working out night.

I am trying to lose weight too. Try to get rid of body fat, so I am limiting my calories to 2500 max. Though I take 50 g of protein and 50 g of dextrose after work out night. (this is not part of 2500)

I work out at 10:30 pm then til 11:15 pm. Then I go to bed at 1:00 am and wake up at 8 or 8 30am. If I don't work out then my performance dramatically improves. For ex, if I take EK verbal mini test, I get 11/15 without work out while getting 6/15 after having working out night.

I am trying to lose weight too. Try to get rid of body fat, so I am limiting my calories to 2500 max. Though I take 50 g of protein and 50 g of dextrose after work out night. (this is not part of 2500)

That's your problem. You're really impairing your performance by working out like that so late at night. Of course it's going to impair your performance the next day. Reality is; you need to cut back on your workout and start at a lower rate and slowly move up to what you want to ultimately achieve. Your body/brain hasn't adjusted to what you're doing and I'd rather sacrifice a workout or two for a good MCAT score instead of working out and screwing up the MCAT. Choice is simple - work out less and readjust or change to working out earlier in the day.

You're working out pretty late at night. See if you can fit your workouts in sometime that is at least three hours before you go to bed. Also, 2500 calories is low for an active adult of your size.

studying 60 hrs a week in undergrad?

you're doin' it wrong

Try getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night instead of 6-7.

Don't work out so late at night.

And from the way you made it sound, you are doing 4 days of lifting and 3 days of running a week. Unless you overlap days somehow(not that thats good either), you should really have one day a week of rest. Try lifting 3 and running 3.

My question is why are you working out so late at night? And why are you taking dextrose?

You need to adjust your schedule if you're going to study that much or be able to maintain being extremely active both physically and on campus with activities or studying.

Either work out in the morning or late afternoon, rather than late at night. Really try to get 7-8 hours of sleep. And CaliGirl is right... if you're both lifting and running that much, you should be eating a lot more. I don't know what your workout goals are, but when I was running track I would easily eat 3,000+ calories a day. If I didn't I simply wouldn't have the stamina or focus for working out or class. Keep in mind, I'm a lot smaller than you. Someone with your build should be eating 2,500+ already, now with an extensive workout routine you should be eating much more than that. 45min is a lot of running. That should be around 7-8 miles if you're going at a decent pace... you need a ton of calories to supplement that.

Dextrose will in no way help your bid to lose weight. It MAY facilitate muscle growth provided your timing/dosing is reasonable and you're doing some seriously intense lifting, but it is good neither for your long-term health nor for abolition of fat stores.

Most importantly, though, it's going to f*** with your sleep. Mom was onto something when she said no sugar before bedtime - even when you're unconscious, your REM cycles will be jacked up.

Thank you guys. Now, let's summarize.

(1) Work out earlier 3 hours b4 sleep (will do this)
(2) My cardio is not a fast running, I run slow and walk too. It's only 35 minutes of slow running + 10 minutes of walking. The total distance is about 4.5 miles and I burn 500 calories.
(3) For the calorie intake, I want to lose my belly fat which is approximately 25%. Do I still need to consume more than 2500?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys. Now, let's summarize.

(1) Work out earlier 3 hours b4 sleep (will do this)
(2) My cardio is not a fast running, I run slow and walk too. It's only 35 minutes of slow running + 10 minutes of walking. The total distance is about 4.5 miles and I burn 500 calories.
(3) For the calorie intake, I want to lose my belly fat which is approximately 25%. Do I still need to consume more than 2500?

No, you're fine at 2500 if you want to lose the belly.

No, you're fine at 2500 if you want to lose the belly.

ok then here is my detailed work out routine

Monday: Shoulders and Calf (2 sets of 6 exercises)
Tuesday: Legs (2 sets of 5 exercises)
Wednesday: Running (burn 500 calories)
Thursday: Biceps and Back (2 sets of 5 exercises)
Friday: Chest and Triceps (2 sets of 4 exercises)
Saturday: Recreational tennis (1.5 hours, not too strenuous)
Sunday: Running (another 500 calories)

Currently, I know that I am silly but I cannot handle this schedule.:(
60 hours per week is too exaggerated, I would say 45 hours for MCAT.
I am thinking about lifting twice per week while maintaining the same amount of cardio + tennis

I am thinking about lifting twice per week while maintaining the same amount of cardio + tennis
I'd really try to take at least one day a week off.

For what it's worth, I'd try to get a little more sleep than 6 hours. This is just my personal experience, but full nights of sleep do wonders for me; I feel so much more alert and engaged in what I'm working on.

I'd have to agree, take at least one day off. MCAT > belly fat in regards to importance.

Friday: Chest and Triceps (2 sets of 4 exercises) fine. but 2 sets of

you have a very unique workout schedule. why not just stick to a regular 3-day split + cardio day?

I would add proper supplementation to the mix. Ensure you are getting ~1-1.5 g protein per pound of bodyweight, e.g. 180 pound guy should eat 180g protein. Think about adding 10-20g BCAA (branch chain amino acids) and 10g L-glutamine to the mix. Both of these will help you keep the muscle you have while losing weight. They should also dramatically decrease how tired you are the days after working out. Make sure you are taking a multi vitamin everyday. Dextrose after lifting weights is not a bad idea just make sure you are not taking too much i.e. if you are only doing 4-5 sets in a workout your body doesn't need all those carbs to replenish your glycogen stores. I lost 70lbs and then put on ~ 60lbs muscle with this general plan. Good luck with the MCATS!

I'm in the same boat. Going to the gym seems to be one of the sacrifices I've had to make this term. When I was learning 40 muscle OIAs/week for anatomy last year, I would upload them all on my phone as flashcards. I'd use the elliptical at the gym because it had a shelf that I could put my phone on and I'd go through flashcards while working out. It's really hard to get a good cardio workout in that way though as you can imagine. I might start doing that again though since bikini season's coming up, haha.

Damn! I work out 5 days a week for at 1.5-2 hours each day. I am 5'7 140lbs and I consume at least 3000 calories every day (seriously) and have to drink at least a liter of water! You definitely need to EAT MUCH MUCH MORE! Especially a few hours before your work-out. Try high calorie foods like juices and snack on granola bars! Also be careful not to eat huge meals in one sitting. Just spread out eating and eat every couple hours. When I was studying in my masters I ate 5 meals a day and snacked frequently. Eating a lot at a time can make you tired and unfocused. Good luck.:luck:

Sorry but this is epic amounts of fail. Between this routine, your 2500 calories a day (which for some reason don't include the 400 calories of protein/dextrose you are taking), studying far too much and working out too late I can see why you are skinnyfat at 6' 185lbs.

First, diet - 2400 calories of good food will keep you sufficiently fed, keep up muscle and burn fat. I have cut on as little as 1800 calories and been fine with minimal muscle loss and I am bigger than you are. Personally, I try to eat a minimum of 5x per day and get 50g of protein per meal. This can include your shake post workout. Don't take the dextrose before bed, sure it will help if timed correctly but I try to taper carbs throughout the day, makes me feel better personally. Biggest meal and most carbs of the day for me is always breakfast.

Workout - 2 sets of anything isn't going to help much. Personally, I like 3 sets of 10-12 or more sets with less reps. If I do 4 sets of an exercise, I shoot for 8-10 reps. 5 sets I'm likely doing 5 reps, heavy weight. Lifting first, cardio after. Give yourself days off. Cardio after weight training has been shown to metabolize more fat. Alternatively, you could do what I am currently doing and do "cardio" first thing when you wake up, no eating beforehand and all I do is a walk (speed 3 incline of 4 degrees) on a treadmill for 45 minutes to an hour, have breakfast after. You could also read/study during this time if you feel so inclined. If you want shorter workouts, go with crossfit if you must, just not my cup of tea. Also, why don't you try shifting your schedule? Wake up at 6am, work out and do cardio and then start your day. I always found that i felt more alert throughout the day when I did this and I got to sleep earlier. My workout split is:

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest/Tris
Wed - Off
Thurs - Back/Bis
Fri - Shoulders
Weekend - Off

Cardio would normally follow each workout if I'm even doing it, currently "cardio" is M-F 1 hour in the morning

Studying - Sounds like you are doing something wrong. Study smarter, take breaks every couple hours. The drop between an 11 to a 6 to verbal is focus and I severely doubt that even late night workouts are causing you to lose that much focus.

studying 60 hrs a week in undergrad?

you're doin' it wrong

Agreed, 60 hours is too much. Become more efficient with your studying. Try 30-35 hours and work harder/smarter during that time. I would have needed 25+ units all science to work 60 hours a week consistently.

I've experimented with workouts that keep the heart healthy, build muscle and don't require a bunch of time.

I think the best mix is what crossfit does. You add strength training and cardio simultaneously, there are a lot of Work Outs of the Day (WODs) that can give you an idea. Keep your training under 60 min, maybe even under 30-40 min if you do it right. Then train 4-5 days a week.

Other plans just focus too much on muscle, not much on cardio or too much on cardio and not enough on strength. Then the last type exercises 6 days a week with two a days, devoting far too much time for any professional student.

Last edited:
Sorry but this is epic amounts of fail. Between this routine, your 2500 calories a day (which for some reason don't include the 400 calories of protein/dextrose you are taking), studying far too much and working out too late I can see why you are skinnyfat at 6' 185lbs.

First, diet - 2400 calories of good food will keep you sufficiently fed, keep up muscle and burn fat. I have cut on as little as 1800 calories and been fine with minimal muscle loss and I am bigger than you are. Personally, I try to eat a minimum of 5x per day and get 50g of protein per meal. This can include your shake post workout. Don't take the dextrose before bed, sure it will help if timed correctly but I try to taper carbs throughout the day, makes me feel better personally. Biggest meal and most carbs of the day for me is always breakfast.

Workout - 2 sets of anything isn't going to help much. Personally, I like 3 sets of 10-12 or more sets with less reps. If I do 4 sets of an exercise, I shoot for 8-10 reps. 5 sets I'm likely doing 5 reps, heavy weight. Lifting first, cardio after. Give yourself days off. Cardio after weight training has been shown to metabolize more fat. Alternatively, you could do what I am currently doing and do "cardio" first thing when you wake up, no eating beforehand and all I do is a walk (speed 3 incline of 4 degrees) on a treadmill for 45 minutes to an hour, have breakfast after. You could also read/study during this time if you feel so inclined. If you want shorter workouts, go with crossfit if you must, just not my cup of tea. Also, why don't you try shifting your schedule? Wake up at 6am, work out and do cardio and then start your day. I always found that i felt more alert throughout the day when I did this and I got to sleep earlier. My workout split is:

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest/Tris
Wed - Off
Thurs - Back/Bis
Fri - Shoulders
Weekend - Off

Cardio would normally follow each workout if I'm even doing it, currently "cardio" is M-F 1 hour in the morning

Studying - Sounds like you are doing something wrong. Study smarter, take breaks every couple hours. The drop between an 11 to a 6 to verbal is focus and I severely doubt that even late night workouts are causing you to lose that much focus.

some good tips here, but I'l throw in a few suggestions. I used to be a personal trainer so I know a thing or two about this. First of all, if you are not too concerned with losing muscle mass, do circuit training. This is where you have multiple exercises back to back with minimal rest time in between (less than 30-30 sec). This keeps your heart rate up, so it is like doing cardio while you lift. There is an inverse relationship with the amount of weight, number of sets, and number of reps. The higher weight you use, the lower number of reps that should be in each set, and the higher number of sets. I normally lift VERY lightly, but i circuit train everything and I have lost almost 25 lbs this semester (I gained that thanks to school :rolleyes: ) Also, this is the program I try to follow. I would never recommend doing back with chest. You want to avoid working out an agonist and its antagonist on the same day. Usually, people do this and it leads to injury.

mon-chest/ abs
Tues- back/bis/tris
Wed- Cardio/abs
Thurs-off
fri-repeat mon
sat-repeat tues
sun-repeat wed

you can pretty much do abs everyday after you lift. You will burn more fat running after you lift, and it doesn't hurt to do abs each day. Also, you can throw in legs in there on your cardio days if you want.

Oh wow you guys are the best.
I will do everything you folks suggested starting this Monday!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So, If I decide to do running after weights. How long should I be running? I guess it would be only 20~30 min since I need to limit my work out to 60 minutes. Correct?

Last edited: