How do I become competitive for Plastics/ENT/Neurosurgery/some specialized surgery during MS3/4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urgenthelp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I have just started MS3 year with the surgery rotation. I did it first because I wanted to know right off the bat if surgery was for me. I liked the idea of becoming a surgeon for a long time, and now that I've had some exposure, I could see myself pursuing this field.

I recently took step one and got a score ~260. It was pretty much my only focus the first two years of medical school. I am severely lacking in any form of curricular activity. I have gone to the free clinic a few times, and that is about it. Additionally, I come from a school ranked outside the top 40 US allopathic.

What do I have to do to make myself competitive for the specialties listed above. Currently my plan is to do well and receive honors for the surgery rotation (I am using predominantly devirgilio for my studies - is uworld necessary as well?) and hopefully when I receive the grade, reach out to chairs of the different departments to network and begin producing publications. I would appreciate any advice from people who have gone down that path/are currently pursuing the path. I know my score is good, but I also know I need more than just this number.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I have just started MS3 year with the surgery rotation. I did it first because I wanted to know right off the bat if surgery was for me. I liked the idea of becoming a surgeon for a long time, and now that I've had some exposure, I could see myself pursuing this field.

I recently took step one and got a score ~260. It was pretty much my only focus the first two years of medical school. I am severely lacking in any form of curricular activity. I have gone to the free clinic a few times, and that is about it. Additionally, I come from a school ranked outside the top 40 US allopathic.

What do I have to do to make myself competitive for the specialties listed above. Currently my plan is to do well and receive honors for the surgery rotation (I am using predominantly devirgilio for my studies - is uworld necessary as well?) and hopefully when I receive the grade, reach out to chairs of the different departments to network and begin producing publications. I would appreciate any advice from people who have gone down that path/are currently pursuing the path. I know my score is good, but I also know I need more than just this number.

You'll want to start exploring surgical subspecialties to see what you enjoy. Depending on your relationship with your attending, they might let you go watch some cases you're interested in if there's ever a lull.

You did well on Step 1. Now you have to round out your app. Do well on rotations, get involved in research, decide on a specialty, and start shaking hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey SDN,

Devirgilio is a really, really good book-- but there's a ton of medicine on the shelf that you need to know. Pulm/CV/renal (electrolyte) topics are all very high yield and better represented in UW than devirgilio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 250
Honor all rotations
5 publications

You will match whatever you want

I believe you should first choose what specialty you want to pursue. It is much easier to match into a specialty you put your full effort into, instead of just shotgun approaching multiple specialities. Few reasons for this:
Most competitive specialities want LOR from that field. If you get random ones from all over the place, it hurts your chances.
They want research from that field
They want to know they aren't some backup; that you want that one and ONLY that one.

Find which one interest you and pursue that one.

With that step 1 score, a good letter from your home program, good aways (resulting in more LOR), I believe you could match any one of those specialties.

1) Figure out your specialty of choice ASAP
2) Crush your clinical rotations (as many H as possible)

It's late in the game to do any meaningful research. The best you can probably do is get in on someone else's research or try to quickly get a case report or something out. It takes a long time to get good research done.

To generalize: grades and step scores are the primary considerations for an application, LOR's next, research and then everything else (e.g. volunteering, club memberships).

Unfortunately, this late in the game it might be difficult to get a true sense of what field you want to pursue, while simultaneously attempting to focus your efforts.

In any case, get on some research project as soon as you can, preferably two. One should be a low-lying fruit such as a case report or case series. This could possibly be published by the time you are applying. The second should be something more meaningful, and thus, impacting. You may well not finish it before you apply, but getting it started and potentially an abstract from it would be beneficial.

Finally, looking for something that covers several, or all of your bases may bases may allow you to hedge your bet. That is, doing a craniofacial project covers PRS and NSGY. Similar with a neurotology project covering ENT and NSGY.

I recently took step one and got a score ~260.

You're all set now, with that ~260
1) any and all residencies will auto invite you for an interview
2) you will match whatever specialty you want
3) women will drop their panties for you
4) especially #3

Don't waste your time with research just focus on third year and get good letters / aways and you are solid. Step 1 will carry you.

Last edited: