How do I become a neonatologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if i want to work in pediatrics but i want set hours from like 8-5 during the week, what field do you recommend. Neonatology looks AWESOME, but i don't know if the hours will work that well. if you could recommend some fields and give me more info on neonatology that would be great! thanks

Well, I've been an attending neonatologist for about 20 years. It's now 3:30 AM on a Friday night and I am enjoying the night at the hospital. This does not argue well for 8-5 hours during the week I'm afraid.

Since in your intro post to SDN you said that you really want to take care of kids, then there are some choices in pediatrics. General pediatrics can have daytime office hours but you'll usually have to take telephone calls at night at some frequency depending on the size of your group. There are some specialties of pediatrics that are relatively 8-5 without a lot of night work (hospitalist, rheumatology, developmental, come to mind).

Or you might change your mind and decide that doing what you really want to do with your life is worth working at 3:30 AM on Friday night every once in a while. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, thanks for your help. The thing is of all the fields i've looked at, nothing really appeals to me like neonatology. Getting to work with little babies is what i've always wanted to do. I guess the thing is that i want to have a family too. I just don't want my job to take away from that. My question is, is it hard to raise a family as a neonatologist. Would being a neonatologist make it hard to be a mother too? I don't want my kids to resent me because i'm never home or at any of their activities. Could you also give me information on hours and such. My last question is what is the difference between academic and private neonatologists? Thanks for your help!:)

First of all, thanks for your help. The thing is of all the fields i've looked at, nothing really appeals to me like neonatology. Getting to work with little babies is what i've always wanted to do. I guess the thing is that i want to have a family too. I just don't want my job to take away from that. My question is, is it hard to raise a family as a neonatologist. Would being a neonatologist make it hard to be a mother too? I don't want my kids to resent me because i'm never home or at any of their activities. Could you also give me information on hours and such. My last question is what is the difference between academic and private neonatologists? Thanks for your help!:)

Hmm, so I buy one "man purse" and now everyone is asking me again about being a neonatologist and a mother. :mad:

j/k - actually all of these questions are answered earlier in this thread. If you'd like, you might also go to the neo forum and ask some of them there as well.

However, in a sentence or two or three...Yes it is hard to be a neonatologist and a parent because it's hard to be a parent, but since nearly all the neonatologists I know are both, it must be possible to make it work. A supportive spouse helps. AFAIK, my kids don't resent me any more than teenagers usually resent their folks :p . Hours vary by job type and academic neos tend to work more with residents and fellows and do research but these are not absolute differences.

Regards

OBP

Members don't see this ad :)
umm...not sure about this site...i dont know what to do...but i was looking on google for anything on becoming a neonatologist and got this site...so i am a new member and i know i want to be a neonatologist, but i also want to be a psychologist...so what should i do? im a junior in high school...and im in pre-ap algebra 2 and pre-ap chemestry, and im taking asl, i plan on taking spanish in college...i just want to know what have coming in the future and am i on the right track

umm...not sure about this site...i dont know what to do...but i was looking on google for anything on becoming a neonatologist and got this site...so i am a new member and i know i want to be a neonatologist, but i also want to be a psychologist...so what should i do? im a junior in high school...and im in pre-ap algebra 2 and pre-ap chemestry, and im taking asl, i plan on taking spanish in college...i just want to know what have coming in the future and am i on the right track

Why are you waiting for college to take Spanish? You're on the right track to becoming a health care professional if you take a range of classes in high school, try to do well and try to learn all you can about the realm of health care opportunities. A pyschologist is usually not a physician (that's a psychiatrist), but a neonatologist is a physician so you'd have to decide if you wanted to be a physician. But for now, you can focus on doing well in school and reading about health care. Good luck!

I am also a high school student considering entering the neonatology field. Could anybody explain to me what specific jobs a typical neonatologist would do? ex. what type of procedures - basically, what types of things does a neonatologist do in a typical day?
I just want to get a better grasp on the actual job of a neonatologist

Thank you

I am also a high school student considering entering the neonatology field. Could anybody explain to me what specific jobs a typical neonatologist would do? ex. what type of procedures - basically, what types of things does a neonatologist do in a typical day?
I just want to get a better grasp on the actual job of a neonatologist

Thank you

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6284146&postcount=17

will take you to where you can find a lot of information. In a typical day, a neonatologist will see about 10-20 patients depending on how sick they are. They will work with residents or specially trained nurses (called NNPs) in planning for how the babies will be cared for - their breathing treatments, nutrition and other care. They will go to the delivery of babies who are premature, or might be at risk for having breathing or other problems after birth. They will spend time talking to families of the babies they take care of, writing notes about what they've done or plan to do and perhaps reading a bit. Some will be involved in teaching at a medical school, others may have administrative tasks such as meetings about which medicines are used in the nursery or how they are given. Some will work on research projects as well.

Never, ever routine or boring, and I've been doing it a loooong time.

I am a senior in high school about to graduate and I am interested in neonatology. In effort to enhance my understanding of this field, I took the STABLE course this past summer and I volunteered this past year at the local hospital in the NICU. So it wouldnt be a surprise that for my end of the year project for Health Co-op I chose to present neonatology. I was searching something for the form our teacher asked us to fill out and I found this forum. I read through the forum from the beginning and found all your comments and suggestions quite helpful. I just wanted to thank you guys for your input and thought-provoking comments that have made me even more motivated to pursue this field. I realize that in order to achieve this goal I must first finish my undergrad, get into med school, finish my pediatric residency, and then apply for a neonatal fellowship. But as of now I am determined. :)

Any tips for me to help my succeed in the next couple of years?

enjoy college. take appropriate courses. enjoy being young. take the MCAT.enjoy being young. explore other walks of life a well. enjoy skipping classes. enjoy summers off.

Reactions: 1 user
i had a questinon. I am 27 and i would like to go to medical school. i have completed all pre-requisites and i wanted an opinion do you think i am too old to go to eventually become a neonatologist?

so all i would have to do is get into medical school and do my 4 years and continue from there right? do you think there will be people my age just starting medical school also?

Members don't see this ad :)
i had a questinon. I am 27 and i would like to go to medical school. i have completed all pre-requisites and i wanted an opinion do you think i am too old to go to eventually become a neonatologist?
You're not old. I started at the tender age of 34. ;)

I am board certified in Pediatrics (99) and Neonatal-perinatal medicine ( 03 )

1. Neonatology is NOT a "grueling" career. Sorry. Not even close.
Yes, I can be very busy. Friday I worked 27 hrs and didn't get any sleep. I admitted 7 babies ( 4 after midnight ) and a few of them were very sick.
However, there is nothing I would rather be doing than staying up at night taking care of sick babies. I left yesterday at 11 AM feeling tired, but extremely satisfied at a job well done.
A very wise man once said " Pick a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life"
I find that neonatology is a very happy career. Yes there are plenty of sad cases, but I think you can say that about any career that involves patient care. By far, the success stories far outweigh the bad ouctomes. This has little to do with death, since sometimes the death of a patient is a good outcome. Virtually every neonatologist I know ( and I know quite a few since I trained at the largest program in the USA ) is happy and really loves their job. I just don't see that in other specialties. We work hard, but we love our work.
To me, something "grueling" involves hard work that is very unpleasant. I consider walking up 8 flights of stairs carrying a suitcase to be "grueling"
Delivering newspapers at 430 Am is grueling. Working at TGI Fridays waiting tables is grueling work. Digging ditches is grueling.
Working in a busy NICU with fantastic nurses and medical staff is a blast. Pretty far from grueling. IMO medicine in general is not for wimps that don't want a little hard work. Most residencies involve long hours. There are many careers where physicians work longer than I do ( and remember, there is no silly 80 hr rule after you graduate residency and fellowship! )

2. Neonatology is NOT a thankless career. I would go so far as to classify this statement as being totally *****ic!
IMO, ANY medical student that needs their ego stroked by being showered with "thanks" is going into medicine for the wrong reason. Go and deliver pizzas if you need instant gratification. Forget medicine
You can measure a person's character by how they act when nobody is watching.
What does this statement have to do with medicine?
Well, there are so many things we do as physicians for our patients and their families that will never be rewarded with a thank you. The radiologist that picks up something subtle on an MRI won't get thanked by the patient. A pathologist that sees some very subtle anomaly at the periphery of a frozen section will not get thanks from the patient. A phychiatrist that helps a person with schizophrenia or dementia is unlikely to be thanked. ETC ETC.

How am I thanked? I am thanked every single day hundreds of times. I might resuscitate a newborn and do a particularly good job, and a few days later I see a proud mother holding her healthy newborn as she is wheeled out to the car. She has no idea that I did a good job and took care of her baby and allowed him/her a normal transition. Seeing them is enough thanks.
Picking up a major problem with subtle clinical signs, and taking care of it before it becomes a big problem is enough thanks. Ordering an echocardiogram on a baby in the nursery who has weak femoral pulses, who perhaps would have been sent home if you didn't take the time to be thorough, and finding a coarcation , saving him from later being admitted in very dire straits, is plenty of thanks

Perhaps oldbear proffessor will agree, but sometimes I am a little bit embarrassed at the attention and overwhelming thanks we can get from families. I much prefer it when a job really well done is really something that I and the staff know what happened, but the family really doesn't fully comprehend to a point when then fawn all over you. Seeing a hapopy mother holding her baby is quite rewarding. Seeing families at the mall ( even though I almost ALWAYS forget their name.....I can remember the size chest tube I used or the kid's last sodium 3 years later but not the name!! ) and seeing a healthy little toddler that used to be quite ill, is very gratifying.
Hearing " I'm glad you're on call tonight" from the NICU nurses is plenty of thanks. Earning the respect of staff is thanks

Yesterday morning I took a 7 day old severely asphyxiated newborn off the ventilator and she died shortly thereafter. I'm not sure that I expect thanks for treating the family like I would like to be treated. Moving them to a private room so the mother doesn't have to hear other babies crying and remind her that her baby will never cry. But taking care of her and making an otherwise awful moment in her life, just a little bit easier is really worth a lifetime of thanks as far as I am concerned.

These are NICHD data from the EARLY 90's. As you can see, the data do not support your statement.
T3

Yes there are certainly many infants in the NICU population that survive with severe morbidities but even in the highest risk groups, the majority of infants survive and do well.
In case you didn't know, tiny prematures are not the only kids admitted into NICU's. In fact, then are the minority. Most of the NICU graduates treated in NICU's in America do extremely well. I am not going to debate the minutia. We are working hard to improve outcomes. Better technology means sicker patients will survive, and with that will naturally come other unfavorable outcomes. However, with any other critical care cohort, there will always be patients with adverse outcomes. These will ALWAYS be the minority though
I staff our development clinic and see the high risk NICU graduates. I see the good and the bad. Most of the graduates, even in our high risk groups are doing awfully good considering how sick they were ( and these are just the high risk kids! )

I would also like to mention the bias against surviving neonates in this post by DOC05.
Go to any adult or pediatric ICU and follow head injury patients, near drownings, trauma , stroke, cardiac arrest or other very critically ill patient and quantify the deficits in THESE patients. You will find a high degree of neurologic morbidities for example in patients with significant closed head injuries.
I'm not sure we have bias against agressively teating critically ill adult and pediatric trauma patients since they have a higher risk of long term problems.

It is difficult to tell many times which critically ill ICU patient will be completely normal and which one will be impaired

FINALLY, my take home message for the original poster : Neonatology is a fantastic career. I love it. IF I could start over, I wouldn't choose any other career ( see if all other physicians in other specialties can say that. I don't think so )
However, each person should pick a career that they love. The high school students here should worry first about college. Then medical school.
In medical school clinical rotations, try to imagine yourself doing EVERY specialty where you rotate. This will help in selecting the best career fit, since it's pretty difficult to change career once you start.
[Edited quoted post a bit so it could stand alone]
:thumbup:

I vote to rename this thread "OBP's High School Survival Guide: Or, If I Drop Band For Physics Will I Become A Neonatologist?"

:laugh:

Sweat Tea: You KNOW you want to join the dark side and become one of us....:D.

Listen, OBP, I may have run 4 miles this afternoon but I am NOT SWEAT TEA!!!!! :boom:

And no, I'm not drinking the baby kool-aid. I may like the physiology and the procedures in neo, but I'm so not a baby person.

And no, I'm not drinking the baby kool-aid. I may like the physiology and the procedures in neo, but I'm so not a baby person.

Sorry SWEET TEA:rolleyes:

and denial is a river in Egypt. Besides, even if you do PICU, you'll still be taking care of a lot of babies.

This question seemingly will come out of nowhere:rolleyes:
Anyways, while everyone's getting their questions answered, I figured I'd chime in:oops:

Is there any daily activity that you can compare the procedures of neonatology with?(with respect to dexterity of fingers,etc.)

Do you think all of these procedures are generally learnable even without great physical prowess?
(as long one is capable of tying shoelaces!)

Thanks

This question seemingly will come out of nowhere:rolleyes:
Anyways, while everyone's getting their questions answered, I figured I'd chime in:oops:

Is there any daily activity that you can compare the procedures of neonatology with?(with respect to dexterity of fingers,etc.)

Do you think all of these procedures are generally learnable even without great physical prowess?
(as long one is capable of tying shoelaces!)

Thanks

I think UALs are a bit like threading a needle with thread. Granted, it's a very long, twisty needle that's actively trying to stop the thread, and the "eye" part of the analogy is often hidden in a vat of similarly-colored goo, but you get the idea. ;)

I think UALs are a bit like threading a needle with thread. Granted, it's a very long, twisty needle that's actively trying to stop the thread, and the "eye" part of the analogy is often hidden in a vat of similarly-colored goo, but you get the idea. ;)
She's referring to putting IV lines in the umbilical artery or vein in newborns. (just in case that wasn't already clear to the person asking the question :) )

I wonder if these posters are real high school students?? In any event, how and why would any teenager want to become a neonatologist? It is not anything like babysitting your little nieces and nephews, kids. neonatology is a grueling, thankless profession in which you deal with very very sick babies; many don't get better and those that do often won't end up completely "normal." Hat's off to those who can do this work...
Ok first of all I am a 17 yr old from Texas and I know that becoming a neonatologist is my dream. Its people like you who refuse to oversee the fact that this job is hard that should rethink coming into this profession. Most are in this field because they want to help give these babies a chance, whether they end up "completely normal" or not at least they'll be alive, which is all that matters.

Ok first of all I am a 17 yr old from Texas and I know that becoming a neonatologist is my dream. Its people like you who refuse to oversee the fact that this job is hard that should rethink coming into this profession. Most are in this field because they want to help give these babies a chance, whether they end up "completely normal" or not at least they'll be alive, which is all that matters.

Dear Meg1122:

Taking on this type of debate here and telling other people that they shouldn't become doctors ("Burnett's Law") is probably not a good idea and I won't have this thread turned into a debate on the issues related to neonatology care. We have a pre-med forum for h.s. students, hSDN that you might wish to post in about career information and there is lots of information about neonatology as a career in the neonatology forum which you can join.

To all the docs out there, I commend you for your efforts! Keep up the good work!

I have a question for neonatologists...

When you have take care of a tiny little baby and saved its life, doesn't it make you angry when the parents come and take it from you? Don't you feel like you deserve to have the baby a few more weeks before the parents get it back since you put in so much effort? It justs seem so unfair that you take care of the baby when it is sick and the parents enjoy it when it is healthy... Also you should develop a paternal/maternal bond since you become in essence its parent for its first weeks?

When you have take care of a tiny little baby and saved its life, doesn't it make you angry when the parents come and take it from you? Don't you feel like you deserve to have the baby a few more weeks before the parents get it back since you put in so much effort? It justs seem so unfair that you take care of the baby when it is sick and the parents enjoy it when it is healthy... Also you should develop a paternal/maternal bond since you become in essence its parent for its first weeks?

1. We don't "save lives", we work in a team environment to provide care that allow infants to grow and recover.

2. We are there for the family. It isn't our baby.

3. I'm not sure I'm prepared to manage a whole bunch of BPD babies at home, even for a few weeks. I don't think my spouse would appreciate that much either.

4. We're never the parents in any sense of the word, always the physicians.

So, not a problem. F/U questions to a new thread please.

I wonder if these posters are real high school students?? In any event, how and why would any teenager want to become a neonatologist? It is not anything like babysitting your little nieces and nephews, kids. neonatology is a grueling, thankless profession in which you deal with very very sick babies; many don't get better and those that do often won't end up completely "normal." Hat's off to those who can do this work...

I'm not sure about the person you quoted but I personally am a high school student. I'm a freshman and I want to become a Neonatologist. I've wanted to become one since I was in seventh grade. My bother Brian was born premature and was in the NICU for a month. We spent a lot of time with him and I admired the doctors and nurses who cared for him.
~Lizzy

hi im a high school grad of the class of 2009. i started my college career of at a community college and i have decide to become a neonatologist, so how would i go about this at a community colleg? what classes should i be taking so i can transfer to a 4 year college to prepare for med school????

Hi Mrs W--

Congrats on deciding to become a doctor! It's fun times, even if it is a lot of school.

In general, to become a specialist in any field, you have to complete the following steps:
1. Graduate from 4-year college (the field of study doesn't matter as long as you take the pre-reqs, and these are the same for all medical schools)

2. Take MCAT (this can be taken during med school if you want to go straight from college to med school, and it covers material learned in your pre-req courses.)

3. Go to med school (4 years)

4. Residency (3-7 years, depending on field)

5. Fellowship (1-3 years, depending on field)

For neonatology in particular, the steps would look like this:
1. 4 year college
2. MCAT
3. 4 years of med school (so far, everyone does the same thing)
4. Pediatrics residency (3 years)
5. Neonatology fellowship (3 years)

So you're looking at 14 years of school and training to become a neonatologist. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it just is what it is. As far as what you should study at community college, I would say that you should take whatever courses will get you transferred to a 4-year college. I would not take the bulk of the med school pre-reqs there. This topic is endlessly debated in the pre-allo forum, and there are good arguments on both sides. My feeling is that while most community colleges provide you with a good education and cover the necessary topics, they're not always looked kindly upon by med school admissions offices. The admissions process is stressful enough without having to defend your classes, so I think it's easier to just take that out of the equation. But you'll find tons of people who have successfully taken their community college classes to med school. You asked for opinions, and that's mine. ;)

The pre-req classes are general biology (2 semesters), general chemistry (2 semesters), organic chem (2 semesters), and physics (2 semesters). I was a biology major in college so my major classes covered all of the pre-reqs. Most science majors will cover the pre-reqs as part of their major requirements.

Hope that helps!

Hi, I am new to this site, but I've found alot of these discussions very helpful. I am a junior in high school and just recently decided to go for a career in neonatology, I didn't realize quite how much schooling was required, but I feel like it would be worth it. I was wondering though if anyone has had any experience with playing sports in college while trying to maintain a medical degree. I play softball and originally I was hoping to get a scholarship out of it, but I want to devote as much time as possible to my studies, and I guess I'm just asking if anyone has any advice for whether or not I should drop softball completely. Sorry if this is totally offf topic or makes no sense, I'm just tying to find the best way to go after my medical dreams.

Hi, I am new to this site, but I've found alot of these discussions very helpful. I am a junior in high school and just recently decided to go for a career in neonatology, I didn't realize quite how much schooling was required, but I feel like it would be worth it. I was wondering though if anyone has had any experience with playing sports in college while trying to maintain a medical degree. I play softball and originally I was hoping to get a scholarship out of it, but I want to devote as much time as possible to my studies, and I guess I'm just asking if anyone has any advice for whether or not I should drop softball completely. Sorry if this is totally offf topic or makes no sense, I'm just tying to find the best way to go after my medical dreams.

Adisson:

It doesn't matter what type of physician you'd like to be, you need to do well in college. This means finding a school that fits you both personally and academically as well as financially. For now, I'd keep working on the softball and see how you are able as a high school student to balance things out with grades and time for sports. That'll give you a clue as to how it will go later.

BTW, high school students are welcome to join the neonatology/Pedi ICU/pediatric cardiology private forum and ask questions, even general ones like this.

Thank you, also I was wondering are there any colleges in particular I should be considering. I've always considered Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, but I'm not sure exactly what all schools look the best with this profession.

Thank you, also I was wondering are there any colleges in particular I should be considering. I've always considered Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, but I'm not sure exactly what all schools look the best with this profession.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: You need to go to a school where you can get a good education. Bonus points if they have a history of sending kids to medical school and are equipped with guidance counselors/advisors who know how to help you get in to professional school. You don't want to go somewhere where you'll get an "easy A" on all your pre-req's...that won't prepare you for the challenges of med school. So you want to go somewhere that has solid academics and has a support system to help back you. Go somewhere that has programs you're interested in, people and programs you like, and is a place that isn't going to drown you in loans. Med school is expensive, and it sucks to pay back your loans in residency. But it happens.

Anecdata: I started off college as a music major. It's kind of like being an athlete in the amount of time you have to dedicate to practicing and performing, but it's a lot more sedentary. I applied to 2 local universities; both well-respected academically, one private, one public. Both have their own med schools. The public school was going to give me a scholarship for music in addition to in-state tuition. The private school didn't offer me anything. I got in to both schools, but I went to the public one largely because it was way the hell cheaper. And because I didn't want to be a dookie. ;) I went to a small public med school, and my class had a mix of people from Ivy League colleges, many people from our state schools (public and private), including some small schools that are well-known in NC but probably not known out of the state. I loved my college, I loved my med school, and I wouldn't change any of it.

I would like to thank you all for this thread. It has been very helpful to me, I will start my pediatric residency next year and am planning to later pursue 3 more years into neonatal care. I don't care about the work load, as someone said in this thread if you do a job you love , you wont work a single day in your life (or sth like that ):thumbup:

More importantly, my post was directed at the high school kids who cannot possibly understand the seriousness of a neonatologist's work. ?

i think that is a low blow, i am in high school, and granted i have at one point wanted to be a fire fighter but i know i want to be a neonatologist and i have thought about the hardship of the work, but work has hardship. that's life. i don't respect that you think that a teenager cannot make the goals to last a life time. neonates live and live healthy lives. i have a friend born two months early and she is fine, a varsity cheerleader. there are HAPPY stories.

i think that is a low blow, i am in high school, and granted i have at one point wanted to be a fire fighter but i know i want to be a neonatologist and i have thought about the hardship of the work, but work has hardship. that's life. i don't respect that you think that a teenager cannot make the goals to last a life time. neonates live and live healthy lives. i have a friend born two months early and she is fine, a varsity cheerleader. there are HAPPY stories.
I am sure some of the pervs around here will appreciate if you posted some pics of you and your cheerleader friend :laugh:.

Hi, I'm entering junior year of high school and I guess.. exploring? the different fields of biology (especially the medical field) but I came upon neonatalogy for some reason. Maybe because I was 2 months premature... I was just wondering how did you guys find the field of neonatology and what exactly made all you (current and future) neonatogists to choose this field?
SKC

Hi, my name is Jasmine and I was was wondering would I have to take spanish 2 to become a neonatologist. I would also like to know would I be able to enjoy jobs related to a neonatologist while fulfilling my education to reach my goal.

Dear OldBearProfessor,

Thank you for your many words of wisdom - I have found your explanations to be very candid and helpful. I am nearing the end of my third year of medical school, and I have been thinking a lot about pursuing a career in neonatal medicine. However, I am an average student and am concerned that I have not done enough to stand out for a great peds residency. In your expert opinion, is it very important that I go to a competitive residency program in order to do neonatology? You said in a 2007 post that neonatology is not too competitive and I was wondering if that is still true now.

Secondly, I also hope to be a mother one day, and with every career path I consider I think about how it will fit with having a family. I read your previous post about balancing neonatology with family life, and I was wondering if you could refer me to a female neonatology attending you spoke of, or if there are threads on this. I am ok with working long/odd hours (I expect to work hard no matter what area of medicine I choose) as long as it is something I love, but it sounds like in neonatology some weeks are longer than others, and there is flexibility to make it fit with family life?

Lastly, do you have any advice on what sorts of 4th year opportunities are recommended to confirm that peds/neonatology is right for me (and that I am right for it!)?

Thanks for your time!
Sincerely, MS3

Dear OldBearProfessor,

Thank you for your many words of wisdom - I have found your explanations to be very candid and helpful. I am nearing the end of my third year of medical school, and I have been thinking a lot about pursuing a career in neonatal medicine. However, I am an average student and am concerned that I have not done enough to stand out for a great peds residency. In your expert opinion, is it very important that I go to a competitive residency program in order to do neonatology? You said in a 2007 post that neonatology is not too competitive and I was wondering if that is still true now.

Secondly, I also hope to be a mother one day, and with every career path I consider I think about how it will fit with having a family. I read your previous post about balancing neonatology with family life, and I was wondering if you could refer me to a female neonatology attending you spoke of, or if there are threads on this. I am ok with working long/odd hours (I expect to work hard no matter what area of medicine I choose) as long as it is something I love, but it sounds like in neonatology some weeks are longer than others, and there is flexibility to make it fit with family life?

Lastly, do you have any advice on what sorts of 4th year opportunities are recommended to confirm that peds/neonatology is right for me (and that I am right for it!)?

Thanks for your time!
Sincerely, MS3

You do not have to go to a highly competitive residency to match in neo. Since 2007, it appears that neo has become somewhat more competitive, although it's hard to quantify this as the match has intervened. It is probably true that the relatively high salary in neo compared to other pedi specialties is a factor in this. Maybe not? Who knows.

There is no medical specialty in which being a parent, mother or father, does not pose challenges. Of the women I know in the field, most are mothers. Of the men, most are fathers. It's okay. I even know lots of single moms who do a great job as neos and moms. You should seek folks out in person to talk to about this in residency.

Fourth year? Some places have sub-Is etc in neo, others don't. Really you don't need to use med school to make this decision, residency will let you know. I advise doing a 4th year elective in derm so you know that the allure of driving a fancy car isn't worth having to be a dermatologist. :smuggrin:

Dear OldBearProfessor,

Thanks for your time!
Sincerely, MS3

Followup on this from an M4 - you should have gotten a little bit of an idea about if pediatrics in general was something you thought you liked. Regardless of that experience, most of my friends and colleagues chose to do a sub I on inpatient pediatrics early this year to get a feel of what being an acting intern is like. As far as neonatology goes, OBP is right (as per usual ;) ). You'll spend plenty of time in the NICU during residency. I've always loved NICU work though and with my hospital having one of the largest NICUs in the country, I spent a month there to gain additional experience. It certainly doesnt seem like a required though.

Also, if you're finding yourself serious about neonatology, be sure to check out opportunities at all the places you apply for residency to find out how much baby time you get (well baby vs. NICU). Each program is a little different.

Best of luck next year!!

Well, I've been an attending neonatologist for about 20 years. It's now 3:30 AM on a Friday night and I am enjoying the night at the hospital. This does not argue well for 8-5 hours during the week I'm afraid.

Since in your intro post to SDN you said that you really want to take care of kids, then there are some choices in pediatrics. General pediatrics can have daytime office hours but you'll usually have to take telephone calls at night at some frequency depending on the size of your group. There are some specialties of pediatrics that are relatively 8-5 without a lot of night work (hospitalist, rheumatology, developmental, come to mind).

Or you might change your mind and decide that doing what you really want to do with your life is worth working at 3:30 AM on Friday night every once in a while. ;)
oldbearprofessor Hi, Im a high school student. I love to be prepared for things and clearly thinking so far is a little crazy since I'm only currently 15 but I was wondering if you could answer a few of my questions since you seem to be an expert.
1. When you go through residency is it hard to make a life? Since your not paid as much and your working a lot?
2. What do you do exactly during residency?
3. And what exactly happens after you finish your fellowship?
4. Lastly if you had a lot of college debt after you become a neonatologist are you able to pay it off within 5-10 years?
5.Also how does board certification work?

Last edited: