How difficult is the PTCE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmluvr123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did you guys spend studying for it? What topics should I focus on? I take it in about a bit less than 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi pharmluvr123,

I am here to answer ur question. The PTCE is not that hard. It is 50% actual pharm tech material and 50% common sense. You will pass. They on score 80 of 90 questions. Just use the study guide from the ptcb website. I have a pharmacy technician diploma from Penn Foster Career School and I still have my study guides. Do you want me to send them to u through ur email?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi pharmluvr123,

I am here to answer ur question. The PTCE is not that hard. It is 50% actual pharm tech material and 50% common sense. You will pass. They on score 80 of 90 questions. Just use the study guide from the ptcb website. I have a pharmacy technician diploma from Penn Foster Career School and I still have my study guides. Do you want me to send them to u through ur email?
Hi, can I have a copy of your study guide as well? that'd be so great :D
my email is [email protected]. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi pharmluvr123,

Hi! Can I please have a copy of your study guide as well? I will be taking it in June, and I have been self studying for it. It will be a great help!

My email: [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's very easy. I wish you the best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi pharmluvr123,

Could you also email them to me? I'd really appreciate it.

How long did you guys spend studying for it? What topics should I focus on? I take it in about a bit less than 2 weeks.
It's hard but not unbearably so. I used the pocket prep ptcb app (its like $13) and I passed and only missed one question. If you're not familiar with hospital tech work I'd definitely study more. I'm a retail tech at a non compounding pharmacy in a state that requires no test for state certification so some of the stuff was completely new.

The exam itself was not as bad as I expected! I studied intensively for about a week and a half before I took it. I would focus mostly on the laws and math since they make up a lot of the exam. I rented a copy of Mosby's Pharmacy Technician from Amazon for about ~$30 and took the practice test offered by PTCB the night before my exam (some questions from here were also on the actual exam). I also took full advantage of this website: http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/
I didn't feel too good about the pharmacology section (interactions, 200 drugs) but I ended up getting 7 out of the 11 questions that I had on it right! Good luck!

Hi folks! anyone is taking PTCE now? From what I read here in your previous posts Mosby's review should be used, pocket prep from ptcb anything else? Where that study-guide is from? Can I please ask you guys send one to me too? or give me a hint where I can reach/download. Much much thanks you guys. I'm planning on starting right now and studying for full one whole week.

Hi pharmluvr123,

Hey can you also email them to me please? [email protected]

I took it last Summer. It's pretty easy as long as you have a good foundation in math. Other than math, it's mostly memorization. If I'm correct, each question is weighed differently and you need to score at least a 1400/1600 to pass. Best of luck!

Hi pharmluvr123,

Can you also send them to me please? [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi pharmluvr123,

Hi,
Can you please send the study guides on [email protected]

Really? You guys all sound like you just took the exam and passed no problem. I have been studying for 2 months now and have 50 pages of notes, front and back. I have 50% of those notes memorized and very familiar with the other 50%. I have all 200 drugs memorized; brand name, generic name, and function. Did I go overboard on the studying here? About to take it in a week.

Hi pharmluvr123,

Hi pharmluvr123,

Hi
hi
Can I get a copy also please , email me at [email protected]
Much thanks

Hi pharmluvr123,

Can I have a copy as well please
[email protected]

I just took the PTCE this morning and passed. It was actually a lot easier than I expected.

Here is the book i used to study for it, its completely free but a pretty lengthy book:
http://freepages.school-alumni.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dpok/APhA - The Pharmacy Technician, 4th Edition.pdf
I would skip chapter 1, the chapter is absolutely useless.

Also I used https://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/ to study as well. Make sure to do the practice quizzes. They are good for catching little mistakes you might make.
Good luck to the rest of you.

Hi I am a pharmacy tech and I am scheduled to take my exam on the beginning of September. I am really scared though. I have been studying the modules that CVS offers and the books as well. I am really good with math too!! I have some of the 200 drugs memorized like 50 of them and I kind of know the rest of them. I been taking practice exams online and My average is like 70-90% and I have a whole month to study more and more. Also planning to purchase a mock exam. Do you think that will be enough to pass the exam. Please let me know. Thank you so much in advance

Hi I am a pharmacy tech and I am scheduled to take my exam on the beginning of September. I am really scared though. I have been studying the modules that CVS offers and the books as well. I am really good with math too!! I have some of the 200 drugs memorized like 50 of them and I kind of know the rest of them. I been taking practice exams online and My average is like 70-90% and I have a whole month to study more and more. Also planning to purchase a mock exam. Do you think that will be enough to pass the exam. Please let me know. Thank you so much in advance

If you are taking the practice exam supplied by PTCB, I'd say to take that first to gauge yourself on where you stand. To me, that practice test showed me what the test was like and what to really focus on when studying. As for the drugs, I'd say at least get the first 100 of them down. There were a few drugs on the test that are not part of the top 200 but the other drugs listed as answers were part of the top 200 so this gave me a better shot at narrowing down answers. I think you should be good to go with a months time, not sure what CVS provides you but I assume its good enough.

Hola. I used the book by Mizner which helped me not in the slightest for the actual exam material. I still passed. I agree with some aforementioned advice...a lot of it is common sense and customer service related questions. Know your unit conversions and such. GOOD LUCK! And make sure you know what the "orange book" is.

Hey I'm a tech too for cvs . Where do you find the modules ? Learn net ?