Step Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jafeel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know what types of scores Peds people have gotten?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your step 1 score is not necessarily the most important part of your application. Things like research, letters, grades, AOA, where you go to med school, etc. matter a lot. That being said, some of the places you mentioned are not that competitive so you probably have a decent shot unless there are other red flags in your application.

Aways can help or hurt (and I've seen them hurt more than help). In a specialty like Peds that isn't very competitive overall, I'd recommend not doing one for most people (in case that was something you were thinking of doing).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Your score is decent and shouldn't close any doors by itself. Your chances at the more competitive programs will likely depend on the strength of your application as a whole. Without knowing more, I would recommend applying broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine matching somewhere. As others have said, where exactly will depend on the rest of your application.

Your competitiveness for the top California programs will largely depend on your clinical rotation grades, and most importantly the peds clerkship and peds sub-I scores. Keep your focus on what you can change at this point, which is your sub-I and other 4th year summer rotation grades, getting letters of rec from the right people, writing a stellar personal statement, being well prepared for your interviews and step II if you haven't taken it yet. Once interview season starts, you'll quickly realize that things will work out for you one way or the other, and not to worry too much!

I would actually suggest that you do an away in CA unless you go to school there or have very strong ties there. When I applied last year I noticed major geographic bias with where I was given interviews and I knew many other students have expressed the same thing. If you don't go to school near CA then doing an away would show that program and other CA programs that you're serious about CA and not just throwing out apps.

You shouldn't be worried. I got 203 and 209 on my steps and still got 5 interviews in California. Get great letters of recommendation from professors that know you and do your best during the peds rotation.

Hey everyone,

I received my board scores recently: 224 in Step I and I'm worried about my chances of a California residency for pediatrics.

I know they say 230+ is usually a good score for Step so does getting below that hurt my chances at a California program? I know my score isn't a "bad" score but is it still decent enough?

I'm interested in top programs like CHLA or CHO but realistically speaking I would also be interested in places like USC+LAC, Kaiser LA, Loma Linda. Anyone happen to know what types of scores students who have matched here have gotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.