How competitive is acgme EM as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefuldoc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a 213 step 1. Would be willing to match anywhere. Is this unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer/Bump: Not an attending, just a M4.

I imagine it would depend on the rest of your app. Got kick ass clerkship grades? Got multiple kick ass SLORs? Have a kick ass step 2?

If all those are the case, then the answer is probably hell ya. If most are true, grey zone. If none are true, it seems like an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 user

213 is below average for even MD applicants. You may be auto-screened out at some places. You need a much better Step 2 CK score, great evals and broad applications. You should also do an away rotation and shine. That being said, EM is one of the more DO-friendly specialties, but you have your work cut out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
If only there was a document which "charted the outcomes" of those who participated in the Match... I would imagine that, although perhaps slightly out-of-date, it would provide some objective data relevant to your question.

I think @dadaddadaBATMAN provided some great advice.

A lot of other things come in to play with your app.

That being said, you will have an uphill climb as setting up away rotations at MD affiliated programs requires a Step 1 score on VSAS, and many programs have cutoffs of 220 or 225. Not all, but a lot do. On my first away, they sent us helpful documents regarding the match process. The Step 1 avg for those who matched EM was a 230, meaning there were people above that and below that. Best thing you can do is be early on setting up aways, do really well on step 2, and do well on audition rotations to get a good SLOR

You need to do some aways.

Multiple.

Id be surprised if you got more than 5 interviews at places you didnt rotate at.

Do a rotation, kill it, and match.

-jigga

Another thing to mention regarding away rotations, not all are through VSAS. A couple large and well known programs have their own applications. Look around for these and apply very early. It may help, but not guaranteed in getting away rotations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I got a couple points higher on Step 1 and matched ACGME this past season. I had below average basic 1/2 grades, above average 3rd year grades, and 1 HP, 1 H SLOE. I did score significantly better on Step 2 (30+ points over step 1). I matched at a place I didn't rotate at and actually only ranked 1 of my aways in my top 1/3.

So basically it is doable as long as you can interview pretty well and are willing to spend some money on apps. I applied very broadly (60+ ACGME programs and 20+ AOA). I was also applying mainly East Coast so a lot of those were fairly competitive programs. I applied AOA as backup and got ~15 invites before receiving my first ACGME invite. I cancelled most of them as soon as I hit 8 ACGME invites and felt pretty certain I had a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
had similar scores. worked hard on away rotations. improved on Step 2 by a lot. impressed with personal/clinical skills. matched at my #1` ACGME.

Ah okay. Thanks for the posts. I guess I'm not completely dead in the water yet but there's a def an uphill battle that I'll face. Comlex scores come out next week so hopefully osteo EM can at least be an option

I was perusing Fredia and it looks like there are a decent number of programs with Step 1 scores in the 201-220 range. OP, I think you might be better off than you think but obviously you'll want to make sure y ou have strong clinical grades and an even better step 2 score

I was perusing Fredia and it looks like there are a decent number of programs with Step 1 scores in the 201-220 range. OP, I think you might be better off than you think but obviously you'll want to make sure y ou have strong clinical grades and an even better step 2 score
Those numbers really don't mean anything, not to say that your post is wrong.

Hey folks,

I've been hearing some hearsay that to match EM ACGME as a DO that we need to do far above the average match boards scores. Is that true? I got above a 230 on step 1, which I thought was sufficient but I'm starting to wonder. Hoping to match somewhere out west closer to family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,

I've been hearing some hearsay that to match EM ACGME as a DO that we need to do far above the average match boards scores. Is that true? I got above a 230 on step 1, which I thought was sufficient but I'm starting to wonder. Hoping to match somewhere out west closer to family.

You'll be fine as long as you apply appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agree.

Should be fine unless you only apply to competitive programs on the coasts.

A lot of other things come in to play with your app.

That being said, you will have an uphill climb as setting up away rotations at MD affiliated programs requires a Step 1 score on VSAS, and many programs have cutoffs of 220 or 225. Not all, but a lot do. On my first away, they sent us helpful documents regarding the match process. The Step 1 avg for those who matched EM was a 230, meaning there were people above that and below that. Best thing you can do is be early on setting up aways, do really well on step 2, and do well on audition rotations to get a good SLOR
Agree! Not applying into EM for the match, but I am having a hard time getting an away EM rotation with ~220 step1. Just don't want to do the M4 required EM rotation at my institution...

Just don't want to do the M4 required EM rotation at my institution...
My school's EM residency director (ACGME) went to the residency director national conference and is telling us to do one home and one away rotation. You should try to get SLOEs from two EM programs.

My school's EM residency director (ACGME) went to the residency director national conference and is telling us to do one home and one away rotation. You should try to get SLOEs from two EM programs.
I am not applying to EM; therefore, I don't need any SLOE. EM is a required 4th year rotation at my school...

I am not applying to EM; therefore, I don't need any SLOE. EM is a required 4th year rotation at my school...

In that case, there are a lot of ACGME programs that will accept a rotator during 4th year after November when the crush for students who need SLOEs is over with. PM me if you are having problems locating a time slot in November or after.

In that case, there are a lot of ACGME programs that will accept a rotator during 4th year after November when the crush for students who need SLOEs is over with. PM me if you are having problems locating a time slot in November or after.
Ok... I have a few applications out in places that I would like to visit... Will PM you by October if none of them come thru... Thanks!

Agree! Not applying into EM for the match, but I am having a hard time getting an away EM rotation with ~220 step1. Just don't want to do the M4 required EM rotation at my institution...
It will be an uphill climb to try and get some program to use a audition slot for somebody that doesn't want to do it. Maybe there are some rural EM rotations that are run by FM that you might be able to use.
You're probably going to end up doing it at your home institution.

Reactions: 1 users
I posted this on another thread a few months back.

Moral of the story to anyone reading this, if you have low board scores it's not a nail in the coffin. Bust your ass, get yourself out there and show them how good you are. Be enthusiastic and friendly, and know what you're doing. Kick ass on auditions and get good SLOEs. You have more control in this process than you think.

DO student. 205/222. President of my schools EMIG. Prior Firefighter/EMT and prior ER tech experience. Some national EM leadership experience. Applied to 60 programs, 10 of which were dual or newly ACGME accredited. I was split when I first was setting up auditions which match I would do. So I did 3 MD aways and 2 DO aways, and both of those wound up being dually accredited. On top of those aways, I did "shadowing shifts" whenever I could. Wound up shadowing at 3-4 more places between audition shifts. I got 2 straight DO interviews and 10 at ACGME/Dual programs. Of those I had either rotated or shadowed at 8 of them. Two of those I received interview invites the week after "shadowing", so I know that it helped. Wound up matching in Michigan, the very first place I rotated at. I had a great time there and really jived with the residents and attendings. It took a lot of cold calling and emailing to schedule these "shadowing" shifts, but I know that it definitely helped me get interviews in the end.

I also went back and attended conference at places I rotated at when my schedule allowed to show them I was still interested and to keep my face fresh in their minds later in the year. My APD actually told me "oh we noticed that."

Last edited:
Nice job! Just curious about this part:

I also went back and attended conference at places I rotated at when my schedule allowed to show them I was still interested and to keep my face fresh in their minds later in the year. My APD actually told me "oh we noticed that."

When you say conference, do you mean the weekly resident conference? Like you'd just show up uninvited and take a seat?

Nice job! Just curious about this part:

When you say conference, do you mean the weekly resident conference? Like you'd just show up uninvited and take a seat?

Yes the weekly resident conference. And no, not uninvited. I emailed the APD or coordinator and asked. "Hey I'm going to be in the area this week, could I stop by and attend conference with you guys?"

I scored 216 and matched acgme. Step 2 is more important, aim for 240+ and you have a good shot. but I would go full on DO as well because they open first and you're going to need them if you dont rock step 2. Do a few early DO interviews and schedule the rest late. If you get 8+ acgme interviews (they aren't offered til October) cancel your remaining DO interviews.