How common is it for residents to practice full time for 2-3 years before applying for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.0ne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for residents to become a full time for 2-3 years before applying for fellowship, specifically the more competitive ones like GI or Cards?

And what are some barriers to matching at a competitive program when a resident takes time off to become an attending? I've heard LORs can be an issue but anything else?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How common is it for residents to become a full time for 2-3 years before applying for fellowship, specifically the more competitive ones like GI or Cards?

And what are some barriers to matching at a competitive program when a resident takes time off to become an attending? I've heard LORs can be an issue but anything else?

Thanks!

this thread seems familiar...i think there is another one out there that asked the same question.
not common unless you didn't match the 1st time...

this thread seems familiar...i think there is another one out there that asked the same question.
not common unless you didn't match the 1st time...

Tried looking around for the other post, but couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

My circumstance is that I have the option to take a scholarship that would pay for school provided that I work in an underserved area for the years that I received financial help. So I'm just trying to see if going back to a fellowship would be possible after 3 years of full time practice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The competitive ones might be a big problem if you spend 2-3 years in the boonies.
If you want to do nephrology or ID, it should not matter.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's pretty common. Some of my classmates worked for two-three years and are now doing GI, cards, etc. They didn't have too much trouble to match.

Again, how you spend those 2-3 years matters. Don't be misled by anecdotes.
if you work as a hospitalist in an academic institution and continue networking and remain involved in research in your specialty of interest, that's not going to kill your chances.
But if you spend 2-3 years doing locums and night shifts making cash in the boonies and completely disconnect yourself from academics and research, it will negatively affect your chances in any competitive fellowship to a significant degree.

It definitely happens. I know of 2 people who took 3 years out to work as hospitalists, one actually returned to his home country for a year. One is a GI fellow and one is a Cardiology fellow. Neither are at elite places but they ended up in decent programs.