MD How common are bad clinical evaluations ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caltechstud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a "Pass" on my IM SubI - despite above average ratings across the board. I thought that was bad - until my friend recently finished up Surgery clerkship - and on his main rotation his eval was 50% "low pass" and 50% "pass" with no comments.

On SDN - it seems like any eval lower than Honors is deficient - what is the real deal? Has anyone ever gotten a bad evaluation that is below average (lower than a 3 on a 1-5 scale)??

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got a "Pass" on my IM SubI - despite above average ratings across the board. I thought that was bad - until my friend recently finished up Surgery clerkship - and on his main rotation his eval was 50% "low pass" and 50% "pass" with no comments.

On SDN - it seems like any eval lower than Honors is deficient - what is the real deal? Has anyone ever gotten a bad evaluation that is below average (lower than a 3 on a 1-5 scale)??

I've gotten a couple of 2.5's...(For the record I've honored most of my clerkships). Some people are just angry and take it out on evaluations. Sort of like how some people get a kick out of cutting people off in traffic. Fortunately most people are not like this.

I only got "pass" on all my clerkships; that's right, didn't honor a single one. Still matched to my preferred field at a program I love.

I nailed all the shelves, but the "subjective" nature of the evaluations precluded me from getting that allusive "H."

You're not the only one OP, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I only got "pass" on all my clerkships; that's right, didn't honor a single one. Still matched to my preferred field at a program I love.

I nailed all the shelves, but the "subjective" nature of the evaluations precluded me from getting that allusive "H."

You're not the only one OP, you'll be fine.

Is it considered a bad if many of my evals are "performed at a very good level" or "had a very good fund of knowledge" or "was able to provide a good differential". Just wondering if these meant that I didn't really do so well.

At the end of the day its just whether your classmates did better or worse than you and that you can see on the MSPE

Is it considered a bad if many of my evals are "performed at a very good level" or "had a very good fund of knowledge" or "was able to provide a good differential". Just wondering if these meant that I didn't really do so well.

"very good" is code word for above average. good is average.

Sounds fine to me. Better than negative responses. The IMED evaluation on my dean's letter was more bland than that; I believe the term used in mine was "adequate fund of knowledge."

"very good" is code word for above average. good is average.
yep, at my school good is the worst you can do and still pass (maybe adequate is the lowest passing actually). It's (adequate), good, very good, excellent, outstanding in increasing order.