How come there wasnt any movement in GW waiting list couple of years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering how that would be possible. They told us in the interview that either last year or year before (i forget), no one got off the waiting list. isn't it a little hard to believe? is there any explanation you can think of? I was also thinking since it is one of the most expensive medical school, people would be more likely to go elsewhere if they have more than one acceptance. oh well..we'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

i was just wondering how that would be possible. They told us in the interview that either last year or year before (i forget), no one got off the waiting list. isn't it a little hard to believe? is there any explanation you can think of? I was also thinking since it is one of the most expensive medical school, people would be more likely to go elsewhere if they have more than one acceptance. oh well..we'll see.

They took no one off the waitlist in 2005; at least a couple of people made it off the high-priority waitlist (you can check for last year's thread o'miracles) in 2006.

Every school overaccepts each class, and a larger percentage than normal decided to go that year. From the way it was described to me, the admissions staff weren't entirely sure why, either. There are a couple of current GW students floating around SDN who might know more.

It was the year before last that there was little movement. There were a very few that got in, however, so there wasn't zero movement.

This past year, there was a fair amount, and not all of it was from the high priority list (I wasn't on the high priority list, and I was accepted!). IMHO, the key for GW is to show them how enthusiastic you are about the school, and why you and the school are such a good fit for each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
In some years, for no explicable reason, the number who accept the offer of admission is high enough that no one need be selected from the waitlist. It could be that the school sent out more offers than in years past, that the adcom was a bit more careful (even subconsciously) to make offers to applicants for whom the school was a "first choice", or that the school made a positive impression on interview day or at second look so that more successful applicants made it a first choice. The difference between going to the waitlist or not can be as little as having 2% more of the offers accepted than in the previous season.

My best friend is a member of the Class of 2009 (two years ago) and she definitely got in off the waitlist....

My best friend is a member of the Class of 2009 (two years ago) and she definitely got in off the waitlist....

Huh. I was specifically told by an admissions staff member that no one was accepted off the waitlist in '05. Maybe they rounded down?