How can my parents practice in America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indian1997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was applying to US universities next in fall of 2107 and my mom was thinking of accompanying me as she don't want me to go alone, so I came up with a random thought of why don't my mom and dad practice in America! But I am not sure about the procedure yet, my parents specialties being-
1)My dad is a surgeon with 32 years of experience he was the topper of his medical school
2)Mom being a gynecologist with 30 years of experience with she being a topper of her medical school too
They both have their own private hospitals and my dad has also been professor in surgery in many medical schools with having written several publications too before he established his own hospital. So I was thinking what steps should my parents go through to be eligible to practice in america as a surgeon and gynecologist respectively. I will be highly indebted for your help guys. :):)

Members don't see this ad.

They have to do all four step exams and then find a residency in that field. I am assuming that they must be older with 32 years of experience. It would be a long road and a grueling residency. Perhaps it wouldn't be the best idea for your parents to start all over again.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems pointless. Retaking 3 steps and then going through residency? No way. Not at 40/50s... Esp surgery and gynecology? that just makes zero sense. better just come over and do something non clinical.