How can leaving an SMP affect my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon112

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting the second year of a 2 year SMP. The second year is optional and I was not going to do it originally because I only needed the one year to prove myself academically. I decided to use the second year to gain more experiences (leadership, volunteer, research). I want to leave this SMP now because of bullying. I will not give details, but I cannot stay here anymore and be happy.

But I want to know how this would affect my medical application if I only complete the first year and a summer course. Will I be rejected because it might look like I've given up? I would leave with a 3.8 GPA and I would use the rest of the coming months to study for my MCAT, volunteer and shadow...possibly find a job and get some recommendation letters from professors. If I leave this week I will have no debt from this program. I also already have some leadership experience from my first year.

If I continue through the second year I will have debt and no guarantee of a job as well as having to spend a lot of money on the MCAT, my application and I will have less time to study for the MCAT, volunteer and shadow. However, if I leave I am giving up a publication I have been working on recently that's very likely to be published. But I do not feel I can sacrifice my peace of mind for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the second year is truly optional, it seems like you should be OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting the second year of a 2 year SMP. The second year is optional and I was not going to do it originally because I only needed the one year to prove myself academically. I decided to use the second year to gain more experiences (leadership, volunteer, research). I want to leave this SMP now because of bullying. I will not give details, but I cannot stay here anymore and be happy.

But I want to know how this would affect my medical application if I only complete the first year and a summer course. Will I be rejected because it might look like I've given up? I would leave with a 3.8 GPA and I would use the rest of the coming months to study for my MCAT, volunteer and shadow...possibly find a job and get some recommendation letters from professors. If I leave this week I will have no debt from this program. I also already have some leadership experience from my first year.

If I continue through the second year I will have debt and no guarantee of a job as well as having to spend a lot of money on the MCAT, my application and I will have less time to study for the MCAT, volunteer and shadow. However, if I leave I am giving up a publication I have been working on recently that's very likely to be published. But I do not feel I can sacrifice my peace of mind for that.
We have no way of knowing if an SMP is one or two years.

We have no way of knowing if an SMP is one or two years.

What if it is a well known DO program? For example, if a admissions committee reads the name of the program and medical college and starts wondering about the summer course that's only for second years? Also, I am hoping this doesn't affect faculty's views of me and they refuse to write a letter, but I know it will for some including my PI.

What if it is a well known DO program? For example, if a admissions committee reads the name of the program and medical college and starts wondering about the summer course that's only for second years? Also, I am hoping this doesn't affect faculty's views of me and they refuse to write a letter, but I know it will for some including my PI.
I'm at a DO school, and see AACOMAS apps all the time. Nothing on the transcripts tells me if it's a one or two year program, and we honest;y have no knowledge of which schools have same.

Thank you for your replies. I'm am still conflicted and I would like to gather further opinions from other admissions members @gonnif , @gyngyn? My biggest concern is how giving up my current opportunities (leadership, volunteer, research) at this program can reflect on me in a negative way.

Thank you for your replies. I'm am still conflicted and I would like to gather further opinions from other admissions members @gonnif , @gyngyn? My biggest concern is how giving up my current opportunities (leadership, volunteer, research) at this program can reflect on me in a negative way.
What's the alternative? You already said that you are going to leave so what difference does it make. You apply with what you have. If you don't think you are ready, take another gap year to rack up some more ECs.