Army How applying to both a specialty and 1YAEGD works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barley111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply to a specialty program (prosth/endo/etc) straight from school, but am not selected, do I automatically get entered into the running for a slot in the 1Y AEGD program? If so, do I have to submit a separate personal statement/MoI (as my personal statement would be geared toward the specialty I am applying instead of the AEGD)? And also, would applying to a specialty instead of just the 1Y AEGD hurt my chances of getting the 1Y AEGD?

Otherwise, is there anything special I have to do to apply for the 1Y AEGD, or is it more or less 'automatic'?

Members don't see this ad.

Search through old threads - everything you seek is there

I got a lot of info from searching through old threads, but the questions above were the questions that I still couldn't find answers for. Mainly just curious if I have to submit any sort of application or personal statement geared toward the AEGD, or if they just use my specialty-geared personal statement/letters of recommendation/application and just "automatically" enter me into the running for an AEGD slot. Thanks anyway though. A little burnt out on searching old threads, but will try looking through MODS again

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a specialty program and the 1-year AEGD and was accepted to both. Since we were told that we couldn't accept a 1-year AEGD on top specialty training, I accepted the offer for specialty training and declined the AEGD. They gave me a courtesy call to let me know that I was accepted to the AEGD program but that they would be expecting a formal letter of declination since I already accepted the offer for specialty training.

I didn't feel that applying to both hurt my chances for either. I wrote separate LOIs and submitted LORs from different faculty.

Feel free to PM me with questions

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to a specialty program and the 1-year AEGD and was accepted to both. Since we were told that we couldn't accept a 1-year AEGD on top specialty training, I accepted the offer for specialty training and declined the AEGD. They gave me a courtesy call to let me know that I was accepted to the AEGD program but that they would be expecting a formal letter of declination since I already accepted the offer for specialty training.

I didn't feel that applying to both hurt my chances for either. I wrote separate LOIs and submitted LORs from different faculty.

Feel free to PM me with questions

Congrats! If you don't mind, what specialty was it?

I thought the AEGD application don't even let you submit a personal statement