Houston area programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this coming up year for residency FM in Texas and wanted to know if anybody could shed some light about any of the programs in Houston area (Baylor, UT houston, Methodist, Sugarland, Conroe, etc...)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from the from the Methodist program last year so I can speak to that but not the others. When I started there were 2 Methodist programs, the opposed program which I went through in the med center and an unopposed program out in Baytown. These have since merged and new residents will spent time at both locations in addition to their continuity site which is either at Denver Harbor in 5th ward and Legacy in Baytown. The education is balanced between the sites and you get a good feel for both inpatient and outpatient medicine and have the exposure and tools to be successful anywhere; urban, rural, city, suburbs, etc. There is a sports medicine fellowship program as well and as a current fellow I am setting up a sports medicine track for the residency. Resident pay is the highest in Texas, at least when I went through and the benefits are great....my wife just had a kid and the delivery with a 2 night stay cost me $600. There is good work/life balance throughout. A little less during intern year possibly but that is pretty standard anywhere and this gets better as you progress. Let me know if you have any other questions.