Closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali20002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Like many incoming D1's, I've had some trouble deciding where to live next year. I recently put down a $650 non-refundable deposit at an apartment (apt #2), but I was just notified that another apartment has become available (apt #1). Based on the apartments, which one would you choose? Living close to school seems very very very convenient to me!

Apartment #1
-Right across the street from the dental school, < 5 min walking
-20 min bus ride to grocery store
-Dental and med student housing only
-In-unit washer/dryer
-Rent is $744/mo all inclusive (heating, water, A/C, university internet, etc.)

Apartment #2
-20 minute bus ride from school --> 40 min total commute everyday
-Less than 10 min walk to grocery store
-Coin-op laundry in basement
-Rent is $685/mo all inclusive (heating, water, no A/C, xfinity internet)
pretty sure everyone will say apartment 1. For how close it is to the school alone. I bet with the extra amount you're driving to school and back + cost of laundry in apartment 2, the difference in cost is about equalized. Unless you're going to the grocery more than your school anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Dang, I'd take apartment one in a heartbeat, but that deposit....

I would rather be closer to the things i know i will need to visit at a strict time everyday (The school) and i would rather have an in unit washer/dryer. If the bus is delayed taking you to the grocery store, you're just getting your things a little bit later.

If the bus is delayed and you need to get to school, that's going to be a little bit more of an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
In unit washer dryer is really important to me too. Is finance an issue for you?

Apartment 1, losing the deposit sucks but in the grand scheme of things being close to school is what is most important.

Reactions: 2 users
Apartment 1! Living close to school and saving 40 minutes of commuting time each day (over 3 hours a week!) for the next four years is worth it. And you won't have to worry about being late for the bus (or the bus being late).

Reactions: 1 users
Apt 1:
-Time saved commuting and not paying for bus fares
-washer/dryer money saved
-AC!

The only thing that would cause me to hesitate is that the school internet may be bad... I think you need to mourn the money lost, but think of all the money eventually saved, time, and stress saved by having a better apt. Those bus fares will add up real fast... I would have spend $250+/ month if I used the bus everyday... That's not even including laundry....

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I'm repeating everyone else, but Apartment #1!!

I live about 6 minutes walking distance from my dental school and it was the best decision I've ever made in dental school. I can stay at the library late studying or working (I work at the library ~10 hrs/week) I can stay late after class to ask questions without thinking about missing the bus and having to wait another 10-15 min. The benefits severely outweigh the greater price you are paying. That 650 $$ deposit sucks tho...

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 user