Housing? In Southern California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornunderatree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common to put down two months worth of rent as a security deposit in addition to first months rent?

Seems crazy to me, coming from Northern California where it's common to put down first and last with a lease (with last = security deposit and you don't pay last months rent)

Enlighten me please.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it common to put down two months worth of rent as a security deposit in addition to first months rent?

Seems crazy to me, coming from Northern California where it's common to put down first and last with a lease (with last = security deposit and you don't pay last months rent)

Enlighten me please.
That's normal, at least on the east coast. Anything between 2-3 months' rent total is expected.

Reactions: 1 user
It is normal based on your credit score, renting history, etc. It's also not uncommon for the landlord to keep security deposits in So Cal for normal cleanup after the lease ends, so I suggest you negotiate the smallest security deposit possible.

Reactions: 1 user