Hospitalist jobs in Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into Hawaii for pay, job satisfaction etc. and how it compares to the mainland?

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who worked there as a hospitalist

it was chill, they got a lot of surfing in

the big thing about Hawaii is that island fever is a real thing
it's very very expensive and tiny
the produce is never really fresh besides pineapple
seafood is amazing though
it can be hard to make friends because the people from there can be a bit guarded since so many people come and go over time, few people that move there stay there long term, others are only there short term
everyone else is really friendly though

that's all I really know

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. and Locum tenen agent is only paying for 1 round trip flight for my entier assignment... VS I got another offer in SD 180/hr and they pay all travel expenses..

For your refernce...

Dear Dr. Fetor Hepaticus

Our client in Hawaii is seeking a Hospitalist, Board Certified in Internal Medicine, who can work 7/on 7/off starting in Nov or Dec. This is a 6 month assignment with a furnished 1 bedroom condo and one round trip flight provided. Our client is only seeking serious providers who are more focused on patient care than being in Hawaii. No procedures, EPIC EMR experience preferred, excellent inpatient skills, with no malpractice history. Encounters are only 10-15 patients per day shift (7a-7p) and 6 admissions at night (7p-7a) with plenty of backup. Hourly rate is firm at $140/hr + condo, and rental car for the entire 6 months. We will license you for this opportunity! Only serious inquiries, please.

Talk soon,

That is another $2000-2500/month (housing and car) for that gig...which works out to about another $15/h. But still...not great.

Love that they're asking for a locums person to come to Hawaii for the patient care, not the beach.

That is another $2000-2500/month (housing and car) for that gig...which works out to about another $15/h. But still...not great.

Love that they're asking for a locums person to come to Hawaii for the patient care, not the beach.

They are looking for a serious provider... but only for six months...

Good luck with that.

Reactions: 1 user
like gutonc said...crap pay...and Hawaii is expensive.
$140/hr ,12 hr shifts 26 weeks a year would be $305k. I know pay varies a lot but 250-300k seems to be about the average for job postings I've seen elsewhere in the US. The part about looking for serious applicants for a 6 month posting on Hawaii is pretty funny, though.

$140/hr ,12 hr shifts 26 weeks a year would be $305k. I know pay varies a lot but 250-300k seems to be about the average for job postings I've seen elsewhere in the US. The part about looking for serious applicants for a 6 month posting on Hawaii is pretty funny, though.

please...locums hospitalist per hour is easily $ 150- 180/hr on the mainland...you can't compare locums per hour with salaried positions...salaried positions look like a lower salary, but there are benefits (health, retirement, life/disability insurance, etc) that you don't get as a 1099.

Reactions: 1 user
For all your reference... I am doing locum tenens hospitalist with close ICU... here is what I have.

ALL CLOSE ICU

MN: 180/hr
SD: 180/hr
NM: 135/hr (this is with Indian Health Service)

If you would like to know more... feel free to PM me.