Hospital pharmacy TB test requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PromisedNeverland

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ya'll, quick question regarding working at a hospital pharmacy. They require a TB test and I was wondering...how often do you need to do this test ? I volunteered at a hospital during my high school years and I'm sure I did a TB test then, it should still be valid right (Been more than 10 years since high school)?

Members don't see this ad.

We did them yearly at my last job. Every 5 years at my current job.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello ya'll, quick question regarding working at a hospital pharmacy. They require a TB test and I was wondering...how often do you need to do this test ? I volunteered at a hospital during my high school years and I'm sure I did a TB test then, it should still be valid right (Been more than 10 years since high school)?
Most places will require it yearly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Annually.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

+1 annual

Every time they've required it for me, they've paid for it (unless it's for rotations or something, but always free for employment).

You can try your local county health department. Sometimes the bigger cities will have it cheaper or free for residents.

We do quantiferon annually. Usually your school can refer you somewhere that can a PPD or chest X-ray free or cheaply. I can't do PPD and as a student the school told me where to go to have the chest X-ray paid for.

Yearly and paid for by the employer for every job I've had.

Reactions: 4 users
I got mine at the Walgreens Take Care Clinic. They were able to bill my insurance, so it didn't cost me anything. However, most hospitals will give you the test for free. I had to do mine every year.

Your employer doesn't pay for them? I think that's crazy. It's usually annually and free (at least where I've been).
Edit* So yes they actually do -_- the HR person just forgot to mention it apparently

Last edited:
I got mine at the Walgreens Take Care Clinic. They were able to bill my insurance, so it didn't cost me anything. However, most hospitals will give you the test for free. I had to do mine every year.
interesting ill look into walgreens, CVS looks like it's just a flat fee of 65 .. with no way to bill insurance -___-

I just got hired, they asked for the latest TB test, so I was planning on getting it before heading to HR with my license & certificates
Can't you just tell them you aren't current and let them do it? I also know my local public health department does them for about $10, but the hours are inconvenient.

Or you can just lie and tell them you test positive because you've gotten the BCG vaccine, but then they might require a CXR or something.

depends on the risk for your area - we used to be yearly, then we changed to an annual questionnaire (where have you visited, any symptoms, etc) - high risk people were tested. Now our area rates went up and we do it annually.

But - ya - any new employer should pay for it thou - I have never had to pay out of pocket for any work required vaccinations, tests

so expensive @ $65 ... :(

If it's for a job it's included.

For school I feel like the student health center did them cheap.

But I am yet to work in a hospital where this is in any way negotiable (if you are like80% of the foreign born pharmacists and test positive you have to get an annual chest X-ray).

yearly test or yearly cxr if you've tested positive in the past. But this should be paid for by your employer--are you working in a hospital pharmacy? The hospital will do the test for you on-site. Talk to your manager or HR to get it set up.

Just tell them that you've tested positive before and you took a course of meds for latent TB. No more tests!!!