Hospital ID Badge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed at a hospital where the DPM's and all other MD/DO white coats go

Dr First Last
Specialty (F&A Sx rather than pod)

with a red badge behind it that says DOCTOR, I guess for easy differentiation around the hospital from nurses and midlevels.

Any Residents/Attendings get that badge at your hospital also? Also any where the MD/DO's get the badge but DPMs don't?

My apologies if there's and obvious answer. This was my first hospital pod experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed at a hospital where the DPM's and all other MD/DO white coats go

Dr First Last
Specialty (F&A Sx rather than pod)

with a red badge behind it that says DOCTOR, I guess for easy differentiation around the hospital from nurses and midlevels.

Any Residents/Attendings get that badge at your hospital also? Also any where the MD/DO's get the badge but DPMs don't?

My apologies if there's and obvious answer. This was my first hospital pod experience.

The podiatrist I talked to in New York had itt where the badges didn't show a differentiation between the MD's and him. It has been a while but I think they actually just gave him a badge that said MD on it anyways so there wasn't confusion that he was a doctor...I remember talking to him about his badge but I can't quite remember if it said MD or just Doctor. I can always ask if you want.

:eyebrow: Why does this matter ? Why does this need to be asked on this forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
:eyebrow: Why does this matter ? Why does this need to be asked on this forum?

Why are you so angry? Sorry someone has a question. No need to be so rude.

And it matters a lot actually. Podiatry is still an emerging field. The general populace as well as other health care professionals do not know what podiatrists do. In a hospital setting with lots of different types of professionals and lots of different acronyms (DPM, RN, MD, DO, PA,etc.) make it very confusing who's who and who can do what. Now they themselves do know, but many patients want to be seen by a doctor, and not just a nurse even if the nurse themself could explain perfectly what's going on and what's the problem. There are a lot of different scenarios where this does matter a lot not just for patients but for other professionals in a professional setting. If certain individuals are putting differentiation between an MD or DPM, it can waste time and resources. Both are doctors, yet if a nurse is asked to get something from a DPM yet she/he thinks that simply because he has the letters DPM instead of DO or MD, they have to go and get someone else or can't trust their opinion. Yes there should be some sort of education about this in a setting such as this, and should understand, but the scope of practice for every single different type of individual professional is vastly different. And the fact of the matter is again that Podiatry is still relatively new in such a setting and people do need to learn what they can do. I for one think that Podiatrist should simply have DPM on their badges or what not even if there is some initial confusion. Yet there are still doctors or nurses that will discriminate based on just those letters. I am not a podiatrist yet, and maybe his question wasn't so general, but it does touch on certain practices that can be debated whether or not they should be happening.

Both of the hospitals I am on staff at have my name on my ID badge as:
"Dr. ldsrmdude, Podiatrist"
Where I did my residency, physicians had "Dr." in big letters on their badge. Residents and attendings both had "Dr." but in different colors to distinguish them from one another.
The hospital doesn't provide my white coat, my office does, so I can put whatever I want on it.

Reactions: 2 users
My badges all say my name followed by DPM.

I am at a large university program. All the resident badges say "clinical instructor, housestaff" and list your name as "first and last name, degree" and then says what department you are under which is orthopedics here.

Attendings are similar except instead of clinical instructor, housestaff - it says what level of clinical professor they are - assistant, associate, processor.

Reactions: 1 user