Hospital Experience with no Residency: Next Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got to stand up for dining choices in small towns. My small town has a lot more reasonably accessible (< 20 minute drive) independent restaurants than the larger city I moved from. I'm sure that's not the case everywhere, but lack of food options is not a universal truth for small towns.

That said, there are two types of places that either don't exist or are in short supply here. There are no super fancy, black tie restaurants (it's a touristy area, so there are places with wine lists and table cloths and such, but patrons wear polo shirts ect). There are very few mid range counter service chains (e.g. Chipotle, Noodles & Company). A couple exist, but it's mostly independent restaurants or fast food.

The one weird thing in my small town is that people don't really recognize chains. I had someone tell me about a great little ice cream shop that was an absolute must try, a staple of the community. It turned out to be a Coldstone Creamery. I mean, they were right. It was very good. :)

My family is the same way. They live in a town of about 10k that happens to be the largest town in the area. When I ask if there's anywhere good to eat they usually recommend Chili's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What doesn't sit well with me is the prospect of having no choice BUT to live in a BFE area due to job market saturation issues. Naturally wanting to live in a rural area is one thing, but if you've got no choice but to do so because there are practically no entry-level jobs in the profession you've picked in anywhere EXCEPT for BFE areas, then the whole thing becomes a deal-breaker for people who place a fairly high premium on location considerations and who can't imagine living in the middle of nowhere (I'm not talking about 30-50 mins. from a large city -- I'm talking south GA, which you even said you wouldn't want to live in). Just out of curiosity, how many of the people who graduated from your class had to move to extreme BFE areas like south GA or rural AL to find a job? According to job searches on sites like Indeed.com, there are basically zero job openings in the medium-sized cities in GA as well as Atlanta, so I'm just curious to know how far "out" people had to go.

Honestly, I know of a few who did take jobs in AL or smaller cities in GA, but those people also lived near those areas prior to school, which was likely a contributing factor to going back to those areas. Others got offers for districts around the metro area. We also had a lot of out of state people who went back to Fl, NC, and SC, which from my understanding NC and SC are not nearly as saturated as the ATL market.

Honestly, I know of a few who did take jobs in AL or smaller cities in GA, but those people also lived near those areas prior to school, which was likely a contributing factor to going back to those areas. Others got offers for districts around the metro area. We also had a lot of out of state people who went back to Fl, NC, and SC, which from my understanding NC and SC are not nearly as saturated as the ATL market.

Really? From what I've read on the Pharmacy Manpower PDI site, it looks like NC and SC are both pretty saturated (along with TN).

BTW, also just curious, but are you familiar with any unemployment horror stories from any of the graduates in your class?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm beginning to see why pharmacists think their salary is too low. They eat out way too much. I can't even count the amount of times my friends want to try out a place and I look at the menu and I'm thinking $20 to $30 for that? I could make it for $5 and our local shop for $8.

I'm sorry but in all my years, I've tried just about every cuisine and I will gladly stick to the basics.

I keep hearing how Mexican food is so amazing in certain areas. I'm pretty sure my independent shop has access to the same ingredients

Last edited:
I keep hearing how Mexican food is so amazing in certain areas. I'm pretty sure my independent shop has access to the same ingredients

I'm still trying to figure out why people think it's amazing.

I'm beginning to see why pharmacists think their salary is too low. They eat out way too much. I can't even count the amount of times my friends want to try out a place and I look at the menu and I'm thinking $20 to $30 for that? I could make it for $5 and our local shop for $8.

I'm sorry but in all my years, I've tried just about every cuisine and I will gladly stick to the basics.

It's posts like this that shows you have most definitely not tried "just about every cuisine" or anywhere even close to it.

Reactions: 2 users
I've only visited briefly. I'm not huge on black tie restaurants, so I don't miss it. I'm pretty into hole in the wall takeout though which works well with where I currently live. Also, less than 20min drive time seems out the window in LA. :)

It's not just "black tie"/Michelin restaurants, it's semi high end/hole in the wall restaurants too. I'm discovering new things every week. Just awhile ago I was sitting at a restaurant and thinking, hmmm that's a twist to chicken I have never seen before.

But yeah, traffic here is just the worst

It's posts like this that shows you have most definitely not tried "just about every cuisine" or anywhere even close to it.

Posts like that huh? Please tell me what cuisines I haven't tried since you know me better then I do. We visit a different country every year, while I'm definitely not Anthony Bourdain, nothing has impressed me that I don't still have access to.

Anyways, are you really living somewhere solely for a restaurant you like? I'm not doubting people like different cuisines, it's just not worth picking a place to live. Just learn to make it on your own.

Living in a tourist trap town, food is basically whatever your average tourist would want

A black tie restaurant is not tourist friendly, so there aren't any black tie restaurants. A casual restaurant serving polenta braised carrots and local beef is tourist friendly, so that restaurant exists.

A jimmy johns is not tourist friendly, so there is not a jimmy johns here. A small sandwich shop that makes an awesome pork belly sandwich is very tourist friendly so it exists.

Not bad food or worse food, just different expectations. :)

I have BCCCP and huge hospital experience .but no pharm d nor residency how to change from clinical staff to a clinical pharmacist .what I can do next.thanks for the advice

Posts like that huh? Please tell me what cuisines I haven't tried since you know me better then I do. We visit a different country every year, while I'm definitely not Anthony Bourdain, nothing has impressed me that I don't still have access to.

Anyways, are you really living somewhere solely for a restaurant you like? I'm not doubting people like different cuisines, it's just not worth picking a place to live. Just learn to make it on your own.

If all the food you have tried you can somehow make it yourself, then I would say you really haven't tried anything worthwhile.

Reactions: 1 users
wow, so this is what its like to have your thread derailed! Besides the food issue, there is the social isolation that comes with living in bfe.

You'll have no one to hang out with. No one to watch football with, talk movies or even worldnews with. If you are single, you WILL stay single. Unless you are really into solo hobbies and don't mind learning by yourself, it gets old real fast. However, the biggest thing you miss out on is diversity of perspectives (I'm sure there's a better term out there) as everybody thinks the same way.

I have more willpower than @PAtoPharm and am young enough that I can burn a few years here, but he is right in that it does suck, and "grinding my life away for experience" is the best way to describe it.

Last edited:
If all the food you have tried you can somehow make it yourself, then I would say you really haven't tried anything worthwhile.

With YouTube, you can make anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, so this is what its like to have your thread derailed! Besides the food issue, there is the social isolation that comes with living in bfe.

You'll have no one to hang out with. No one to watch football with, talk movies or even worldnews with. If you are single, you WILL stay single. Unless you are really into solo hobbies and don't mind learning by yourself, it gets old real fast. However, the biggest thing you miss out on is diversity of perspectives (I'm sure there's a better term out there) as everybody thinks the same way.

I have more willpower than @PAtoPharm and am young enough that I can burn a few years here, but he is right in that it does suck, and "grinding my life away for experience" is the best way to describe it.

You definitely have more will-power and passion for pharmacy than I do. Good luck; I hope you are able to make it out of there soon

Hey! You brought up food first. Fair enough though :)

Addendum: lack of diversity is not a problem where I'm currently living, but I had a similar experience when I briefly lived in a 6000 person town.

Last edited:
There are plenty of openings, you just have to be patient and keep applying. Even if they say residency preferred, your experience in hospital will at least get your resume to the hiring manager. Luckily you already have a job so you have time to be patient.

Look into St. Louis, there are always hospital openings there. It's a low cost of living city that gets a bad rep but is great and is growing. There's plenty to do and it's in the middle of the country so it's close to fly or drive to many places in the US.

What doesn't sit well with me is the prospect of having no choice BUT to live in a BFE area due to job market saturation issues.

Except that isn't true. No one denies it is difficult to get a job in a major city--double if you only want to do hospital--triple if you have no experience whatsover.

BUT, there are recent stories here of people getting their first pharmacist job in a major, saturated area. Obviously, pharmacy is not right for you, for a host of reasons. BUT, for someone who is majoring in pharmacy, if they intern during school and get valuable experience (and possibly a residency), they certainly have a shot at getting a job in a major city. It probably won't be their "ideal" bells & whistles job, but it does happen. As for "job postings", that is a notoriously bad way to get a job. Networking is best, and 2nd best is just applying to places you want to work (and updating your application every 60 or 90 days, whatever their policy is on disregarding old applications.) When places need to hire they will 1) see if they have any good leads from in-house or current employees 2) see what kind of applications they already have on file. Places only advertise job postings if 1) the job sucks, so current employees won't recommend it to friends and they don't have any applications on file or 2) they are required to advertise the job (in which case the job is already essentially filled before it's advertised.)

With YouTube, you can make anything.

No... you literally can't... keep living under a rock.

That's one thing I didn't like about small town mentality. You think you know everything when there's so much out there to be explored. Food is just one example.

No... you literally can't... keep living under a rock.

That's one thing I didn't like about small town mentality. You think you know everything when there's so much out there to be explored. Food is just one example.

I guess I have to agree with you. You already know more about my life then I do so you clearly must know everything that's on YouTube. Please continue to comment back though, this is quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Only being able to shop at Walmart drastically limits the number of things you can experiment with

I'm beginning to think some people aren't getting my sarcasm.

If you live in a city of like 10k and there isn't a decently sized city within an hour of you, yes it would suck.

I guess I have to agree with you. You already know more about my life then I do so you clearly must know everything that's on YouTube. Please continue to comment back though, this is quite enjoyable.

Eh I don't have to know everything about you to know that you are so close minded that you literally think you can make everything yourself just by watching YouTube videos. Food is more than something you put in your mouth to get full, it's an art in a way and forever changing. But like I said, it's more than just the food, it's that small town mentality a lot of people like you have. It's not enjoyable... it's quite sad really...

Eh I don't have to know everything about you to know that you are so close minded that you literally think you can make everything yourself just by watching YouTube videos. Food is more than something you put in your mouth to get full, it's an art in a way and forever changing. But like I said, it's more than just the food, it's that small town mentality a lot of people like you have. It's not enjoyable... it's quite sad really...

I think you may what to read what you wrote and ask who has the worse mentality but please continue, I've never had someone act like they know someone based on anonymous posts. This is quite funny.

Oh wait you post pictures of your food don't you? I think your obsession with food is clouding your judgement. You still can't tell that I'm just having a good time responding.

I think you may what to read what you wrote and ask who has the worse mentality but please continue, I've never had someone act like they know someone based on anonymous posts. This is quite funny.

Oh wait you post pictures of your food don't you? I think your obsession with food is clouding your judgement. You still can't tell that I'm just having a good time responding.

You may think you are having a good time, but I really do feel sorry for you. I mean you literally don't even comprehend how ridiculous you sound by talking about you know how to cook everything by watching YouTube.

Like I said, it's not even about food. It's that know it all mentality. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

FYI I don't post pictures of anything anymore... but I don't see a problem with other people who do post them... you just keep being ridiculous.

You may think you are having a good time, but I really do feel sorry for you. I mean you literally don't even comprehend how ridiculous you sound by talking about you know how to cook everything by watching YouTube.

Like I said, it's not even about food. It's that know it all mentality. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

FYI I don't post pictures of anything anymore... but I don't see a problem with other people who do post them... you just keep being ridiculous.

You seem a little uptight, is everything ok?

Side note, my wife is the cook in the family. I can't even make toast without burning it.

At some point you are going to realize when you make comments on here like you know everything, all you're going to get is ridiculous responses.

You seem a little uptight, is everything ok?

Side note, my wife is the cook in the family. I can't even make toast without burning it.

At some point you are going to realize when you make comments on here like you know everything, all you're going to get is ridiculous responses.

Lmao look at your post history dude... you literally argue with everyone about how you are the best pharmacy manager in the world.

Even in this thread you have been nothing but ridiculousness. I literally just said big cities have more to offer, then you jump in here and were all like "please! I can make everything by watching YouTube!!!" Now you are backtracking to you can't even make toast. How dense are you?

Lmao look at your post history dude... you literally argue with everyone about how you are the best pharmacy manager in the world.

Even in this thread you have been nothing but ridiculousness. I literally just said big cities have more to offer, then you jump in here and were all like "please! I can make everything by watching YouTube!!!" Now you are backtracking to you can't even make toast. How dense are you?

Update: I successfully made toast.

Update: I successfully made toast.
But can you truly experience all that toast has to offer without going to a premier 5 star toast restaurant? YouTube can only teach you so much about toast.

Congrats. Some of us can do it without looking at a YouTube vid

Thank you!! Turns out there's a switch you can move to make the toast light or dark. Thank you YouTube.

But can you truly experience all that toast has to offer without going to a premier 5 star toast restaurant? YouTube can only teach you so much about toast.

Don't get me started on the different kinds of bread and topping selections. Mind blown.

For anyone that's interested:
The Ultimate Power Ranking Of The Best Free Restaurant Breads

Last edited:
It is actually possible to cook any type of food yourself. I know this may come as a surprise.

It is actually possible to cook any type of food yourself. I know this may come as a surprise.

I mean if you put it that way, then anything's possible. But can anyone actually do it and do it well? Name one chef in the world that can actually make everything. I can play basketball, but it doesn't mean it's possible for me to be good enough to be in the NBA, doesn't matter how hard I try.

I can also look up a YouTube video of a surgical procedure, like Lasik. Thus I guess it is also actually possible to perform that type of surgery too. But that doesn't mean I am doing it the best way, or can expect optimal outcomes.
Same can kinda be applied for cooking. Gordon Ramsay and other top chefs share their recipes on YouTube, TV, etc. but you think they'd do that if it threatened their main source of income, which is getting customers into their restaurants? The taste from eating a meal from a recipe cooked at home cannot necessarily compare to the restaurant's. Add in the ambiance/atmosphere of dining in a nice place and having your food served to you, waiter top your wine off, etc and you can see why plenty of people would enjoy these experiences, which are largely found in big cities. Of course, it also comes at a price - and then we get into marginal utility/law of diminishing returns, etc but that's a different subject for a different day.

I can also look up a YouTube video of a surgical procedure, like Lasik. Thus I guess it is also actually possible to perform that type of surgery too. But that doesn't mean I am doing it the best way, or can expect optimal outcomes.
Same can kinda be applied for cooking. Gordon Ramsay and other top chefs share their recipes on YouTube, TV, etc. but you think they'd do that if it threatened their main source of income, which is getting customers into their restaurants? The taste from eating a meal from a recipe cooked at home cannot necessarily compare to the restaurant's. Add in the ambiance/atmosphere of dining in a nice place and having your food served to you, waiter top your wine off, etc and you can see why plenty of people would enjoy these experiences, which are largely found in big cities. Of course, it also comes at a price - and then we get into marginal utility/law of diminishing returns, etc but that's a different subject for a different day.
There's a big difference between performing surgery and cooking. However, with sufficient practice both are possible. I consider myself a decent chef and cooking is a passion of mine. It's rare that I come across a meal that I couldn't prepare myself. I consider it a personal challenge to recreate any amazing meal I have at a restaurant.

There's a big difference between performing surgery and cooking. However, with sufficient practice both are possible. I consider myself a decent chef and cooking is a passion of mine. It's rare that I come across a meal that I couldn't prepare myself. I consider it a personal challenge to recreate any amazing meal I have at a restaurant.
What about toast?

I have a book for you then if you say that:
Amazon product

Not saying that cooking can't be learned to a personally satisfactory degree, but there's certainly a difference in skill level between a good cook, someone who actually has worked as a line chef, and one who is a specialist gastronomique. I totally agree with @wagrxm2000 and @gwarm01 that with some good practice, it's very doable to be an acceptable and even good cook. I don't have the skill myself to run a 200 plate restaurant in the same way that I hate being a solo pharmacist with three techs with 500 script/8 hour shift. For the quality control, that takes some real skills that requires more than just knowledge of cooking to pull off. I do agree with @wagrxm2000 that if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you can do fairly well as a home cook.

The two I have trouble doing well are sauces and vegetarian cooking (my household are decisively not committed vegetarians as I enjoy veal and reindeer), but it's really not easy to get the balance of flavors to make vegetables palatable. That takes some culinary engineering. If you bake your own sweets, you'll also find that to be quite a PITA especially for pate feuilletee (puff pastry). Thank god for modern ingredient acquisition as the hell I'd want to make some of these base ingredients by hand.

Cooking is such a time sink that there's plenty of recipes that I would prefer eating in restaurants because either the preparation takes too damn long for the output unless you do it in bulk (Chinese Roasted Duck and arguably Tamales) or that you are eating someone's particular skill (Heritage Andouille from Kramarczuk's in MN is too specialist for my cooking ability that I'll order it shipped). And there's certain recipes that even though you know how to make it, you would prefer someone else's interpretation on the recipe since it would taste like yours if you made it yourself (my wife's Grisfotter and Flaskpannkaka is something that I couldn't make the same way even watching the recipe as it takes a technique that I can't get right). That said, I detest Swedish cuisine, use any excuse to not eat it, and only tolerate it due to the in-laws.

And on Mexican food, I'd be willing to debate anyone on the finer points of Baja versus Tex-Mex versus Cal-Mex versus Yucatan versus Chiapas versus Oaxaca. They all make tasty arguments that Mexican food can be a specialist cause. Unfortunately, I live in a place where adding black pepper gets a Lutheran response of "oh, that might be too spicy, now, you know."

At the end of the day, it is your money and your time. If you absolutely enjoy being able to eat specialty foods multiple times per week (or even daily), then that is perfectly fine. I can agree that some foods cannot really be made at home, especially not foods from specialty restaurants. However, not everyone really cares about going to eat at a restaurant where the guests actually know the name of the chef. I enjoy being able to go get a variety of foods (eg Vietnamese, Indian, or Ethiopian cuisine), however, I am also fine doing that once every couple of weeks. In that case, I would not mind driving 30 min- 1 hr for a meal, especially if I am making a day of it in the city and going to a restaurant that I know serves food I like. It also depends what you like to eat. For most of my meals, I like steak, chicken, BBQ, Brats, and other fairly simple foods and simple sides (a variety of beans, peas, pasta, potatoes, etc). I can make most of those as good or better than what I can typically get a restaurant (yes, I am sure some notable chef can cook any of those better than me, but I also don't want to pay $40 for an 8oz steak). Also, I have watched 0 Youtube videos on cooking and I don't burn toast.

Baking is definitely my big weakness. Baking and pasta.

You know what, OP...if you want to move to a more populated area, there is nothing wrong with that. I've almost always lived in a large city and going to undergrad in a small college town was enough for me. Just apply to jobs in the areas you like (also look into the surround suburbs). You have 2 years of hospital experience, so eventually you'll get a bite. At some point your experience will trump a residency. Keep your job until you have something you like lined up. Get involved as much as you can in your current job..work on projects, new services, stuff for P&T, and get BCPS when you qualify. Don't let these people tell you it isn't possible. I am a manager for a community hospital in the suburbs of a large city (10mn from the city border) and I would absolutely hire someone with hospital experience even if they did not do a residency.

Reactions: 4 users
You know what, OP...if you want to move to a more populated area, there is nothing wrong with that. I've almost always lived in a large city and going to undergrad in a small college town was enough for me. Just apply to jobs in the areas you like (also look into the surround suburbs). You have 2 years of hospital experience, so eventually you'll get a bite. At some point your experience will trump a residency. Keep your job until you have something you like lined up. Get involved as much as you can in your current job..work on projects, new services, stuff for P&T, and get BCPS when you qualify. Don't let these people tell you it isn't possible. I am a manager for a community hospital in the suburbs of a large city (10mn from the city border) and I would absolutely hire someone with hospital experience even if they did not do a residency.

What are your thoughts on bcps vs bcacp vs cde?

BTW, also just curious, but are you familiar with any unemployment horror stories from any of the graduates in your class?
Why don't you ask about the success stories instead? You seem to focus so much on the negative.

There are plenty of openings, you just have to be patient and keep applying. Even if they say residency preferred, your experience in hospital will at least get your resume to the hiring manager. Luckily you already have a job so you have time to be patient.

Look into St. Louis, there are always hospital openings there. It's a low cost of living city that gets a bad rep but is great and is growing. There's plenty to do and it's in the middle of the country so it's close to fly or drive to many places in the US.
St. Louis is very saturated. Just because there are jobs posted does not mean it's not saturated. A pharmacy director there told me that in one day of posting a position, they got over 100 qualified applicants.

Besides, places are not usually going to interview people who are not licensed in that state. St. Louis is a major metropolitan area. Major metro areas have been saturated now for years. I know St. Louis has been saturated since 2009. Same with Chicago. That doesn't mean it's impossible to land a job. It just means it's not as simple as just applying to a job and hearing back the next day.

This goes for any major city in the US. Heck, people are lucky to land a hospital job in a small town without residency, much less landing one in cities. I hate to say it, but I really do think luck and connections play a huge role. Picking the best person for the job seems to be the lowest priority in a lot of places. Lol. It's all about who you know.

So, finally after nearly three years I made it down to Birmingham AL to do the in person interview required by the Board of Pharmacy. It was the last thing needed so that my AL license could be issued. They did not have a meeting in July so the turnout in the building was two months worth of pharmacists. In total there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 80+ pharmacists, so theoretically if they had had a July meeting there would have been 40+ pharmacists then, and another 40+ in August. Maybe I am being naive but I just did not expect to see that many people there for the interview, especially given that it is Alabama. While there were many Alabama natives the mix of non local applicants was amazing. One of the board members stated how it seemed like every state in the country seemed to be represented there. I couldn't help thinking that if Alabama is this crowded then for sure the saturation has reached a new high.

St. Louis is very saturated. Just because there are jobs posted does not mean it's not saturated. A pharmacy director there told me that in one day of posting a position, they got over 100 qualified applicants.

Besides, places are not usually going to interview people who are not licensed in that state. St. Louis is a major metropolitan area. Major metro areas have been saturated now for years. I know St. Louis has been saturated since 2009. Same with Chicago. That doesn't mean it's impossible to land a job. It just means it's not as simple as just applying to a job and hearing back the next day.

This goes for any major city in the US. Heck, people are lucky to land a hospital job in a small town without residency, much less landing one in cities. I hate to say it, but I really do think luck and connections play a huge role. Picking the best person for the job seems to be the lowest priority in a lot of places. Lol. It's all about who you know.

Not everybody's hobby is food, and it doesn't mean someone is missing out or hasn't tried anything worthwhile, if they don't care if they eat at a different 5-star restaurant every night, or if they can cook everything they are interested in eating. We all have different hobbies and interests, and nobody has enough time or money to enjoy every possible hobby. I'm sure Wagrxm has his own hobbies that give him enjoyment.

Not everybody's hobby is food, and it doesn't mean someone is missing out or hasn't tried anything worthwhile, if they don't care if they eat at a different 5-star restaurant every night, or if they can cook everything they are interested in eating. We all have different hobbies and interests, and nobody has enough time or money to enjoy every possible hobby. I'm sure Wagrxm has his own hobbies that give him enjoyment.

What does he have other hobbies have anything to do with this discussion? Look at how this started. Also it's fine if you don't really care for food, but don't pretend like you are a know it all.

The most fascinating thing about food is how different each person's palate is. Usually when we go somewhere new I'll ask the staff what they recommend. They usually offer customer favorites. I honestly can't count the amount of times I've turned to my wife and said, this is horrible. It's most likely I'm just your typical American, but I just hate a ton of different cuisines.

Oh and of course I have hobbies. I'm old, I like to golf. You know that sport millennials seemed to have forgotten about.