This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, okay I will try not to give up hope. But at the same time, I really think I should be looking towards a plan B- any plan B. I don't want to fool myself trying to keep hope up and find out later that I have nothing. Did you get accepted from any waitlists?

Unfortunately not, but the schools i was waitlisted at are notorious for little WL movement at all.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, but application fees would be over a thousand anyway. EMT's get paid 13-15 dollars an hour? I think? But the shifts are long (12 hour shifts for some), so I don't think it would work because you are involved in research too.

Definitely consider non-clinical volunteering. One of my recommendations was from a supervisor of a tutoring/creative-writing program that worked with K-12 kids. Helping those kids sometimes didn't even feel like work; we just talked and joked around while getting homework done. It was incredibly relaxing to talk with children about subjects other than pre-med and medical school with my peers. Interacting with students from different backgrounds and neighborhoods also gives you some perspective.

I know it just seems like additional chores to jump through hoop after hoop to build your resume for a third time to a career that you think seems to hate you. You have a broad range of achievements and experiences. I think you will get into an MD school eventually. Don't think your experiences are for naught. You'll do well in whatever field you choose.

Sorry if what I'm saying isn't really helpful.
Yes, and that's why Im worried about how Im going to get the money to apply again. This year, it took five thousand dollars to apply. Wow, that's pretty decent pay. Actually, I am no longer involved in the research. I don't think it's that necessary to do EMT because is it really any that much different that the hospital volunteering Im doing currently? I think it fulfills the same clinical competency. I don't know if I want to give up the flexible hours and easy feel of hospital volunteering for something that costs a lot of money and has rigid demands. Okay, I will look into some non clinical volunteering. Im just wondering: the research I was doing I wasnt being paid for. Can I consider that non clinical volunteering? That sounds like a nice activity you had there. How did you get it, through your university? When you say "you'll do well in whatever field you choose?" do you mean field within medicine or any field, profession, or career in general? Because I was finding a hard time getting job interviews with my resume when I was applying earlier in the year.

Unfortunately not, but the schools i was waitlisted at are notorious for little WL movement at all.
Well, with one of my schools I called in and they said I was in the middle third of the waitlist. So I have doubts I'll get a chance to get into that one. The other one is weird because they waitlist pretty much all late interviewees as told by the threads on this website. And I was a February interviewee, hence the waitlist. I think there is decent waitlist movement. The most I can say is that they matriculate about one third of the people they interview, according to MSAR, which is actually pretty high because that doesn't account for acceptance offers.That probably means that they accept at least 50-60% of people they interview- so an interview actually means something at this school. Other schools, in comparison, sometimes matriculate a seventh, a fifth, or a fourth of OOS interviewees- but rarely a third of OOS interviewees. One discouraging point is that their 10th percentile verbal scores is 9 and my 125 is in limbo between being an 8 and a 9. Looking at MSAR's compilation of statistics, one should wonder how people with verbal scores less than a 9 get in at all. Looks like it will hamper my chances of getting an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still think you're failing to recognize that your problems at home are keeping you from acheiving success. You won't get the chance to try "counseling if you still have problems when you leave the home," if you never get out of the house.

You've got to start taking the severity of your issues seriously or you'll be stuck in this life pattern for far too long for someone clearly as intelligent as you are.

Reactions: 1 users
I still think you're failing to recognize that your problems at home are keeping you from acheiving success. You won't get the chance to try "counseling if you still have problems when you leave the home," if you never get out of the house.

You've got to start taking the severity of your issues seriously or you'll be stuck in this life pattern for far too long for someone clearly as intelligent as you are.
Well, first I'm going to try to remedy the problems by myself because I think I know certain things I can do to ease them and they seem to have a reasonable rate of success. In doing so, I will have learned a little bit more about myself. For example, dehydration=bad, coffee=may be bad, frequent hydration=good. I don't know why, but that seems to be an emerging pattern and something I will pay attention to more in the coming days, months, and years. Another one: my constant habit of picking my lips=maybe not so good, using chapstick=may be good, but this connection is a bit tenuous. And like I said before: going outside and keeping away from family=good. See, every time I talk to my parents I feel like they see me as the kid they have always known. Along with that comes notions of foolishness, lack of awareness, no common sense, inexperience, and so forth. With people I have just met or I have never met before, I see them as opportunities to begin new and I see new people as more neutral and less judgmental. So I get some peace of mind talking to new people like the people in the hospital.
Also, this is difficult because I love coffee and it has been hard to stop drinking... ugh... but it seems to work. I'm sort of running experiments on myself and seeing what produces results and what doesn't. I'd rather take things into my own hands than take a medication that will alter my neurochemistry. I am very sensitive about that type of stuff.

Well, first I'm going to try to remedy the problems by myself because I think I know certain things I can do to ease them and they seem to have a reasonable rate of success. In doing so, I will have learned a little bit more about myself. For example, dehydration=bad, coffee=may be bad, frequent hydration=good. I don't know why, but that seems to be an emerging pattern and something I will pay attention to more in the coming days, months, and years. Another one: my constant habit of picking my lips=maybe not so good, using chapstick=may be good, but this connection is a bit tenuous. And like I said before: going outside and keeping away from family=good. See, every time I talk to my parents I feel like they see me as the kid they have always known. Along with that comes notions of foolishness, lack of awareness, no common sense, inexperience, and so forth. With people I have just met or I have never met before, I see them as opportunities to begin new and I see new people as more neutral and less judgmental. So I get some peace of mind talking to new people like the people in the hospital.
Also, this is difficult because I love coffee and it has been hard to stop drinking... ugh... but it seems to work. I'm sort of running experiments on myself and seeing what produces results and what doesn't. I'd rather take things into my own hands than take a medication that will alter my neurochemistry. I am very sensitive about that type of stuff.
To put it as gently but clearly as possible, even through text its clear you have many issues interfering in your success. I don't think you're capable of "taking things into your own hands." You need help. It doesn't have to be medication. Even just talk therapy will help. You're stuck in your own world/head right now and the more you spin your wheels trying to solve your problems on your own, the more time you're ultimately wasting. You need to think about why you're being so stubborn about getting help now rather than some magical time in the future.

To put it as gently but clearly as possible, even through text its clear you have many issues interfering in your success. I don't think you're capable of "taking things into your own hands." You need help. It doesn't have to be medication. Even just talk therapy will help. You're stuck in your own world/head right now and the more you spin your wheels trying to solve your problems on your own, the more time you're ultimately wasting. You need to think about why you're being so stubborn about getting help now rather than some magical time in the future.
It won't be a magical time in the future. It will be next year. I first want to see what's going to happen next year so, if I have to, I can reach out to a therapist in the same area that I will be living in.

I was the same. I used to stutter REEEEEEEALLY badly during interviews- I don't have a stuttering problem per se, I was just so nervous. I could literally barely finish a sentence. Did a couple of mock interviews with the medical school guru (Welcome), made a huge difference for me. Helped me put together answers for a lot of common questions (most of which were actually asked in my interviews) and how to explain some issues in my transcript. Definitely helped me feels loads more confident and now I've been accepted into a bunch of postbaccs.

Reactions: 1 user
I was the same. I used to stutter REEEEEEEALLY badly during interviews- I don't have a stuttering problem per se, I was just so nervous. I could literally barely finish a sentence. Did a couple of mock interviews with the medical school guru (Welcome), made a huge difference for me. Helped me put together answers for a lot of common questions (most of which were actually asked in my interviews) and how to explain some issues in my transcript. Definitely helped me feels loads more confident and now I've been accepted into a bunch of postbaccs.
I'm not a stutterer, I just have anxiety that builds up over the course of the interview. Here's how it works: I say something- maybe an incomplete thought or an answer that I think wasn't good and I'm unable to go back and correct myself. Then, I can't get it out of my head and I keep thinking about it while the interview goes on. Sometimes, I forget what triggered my neurosis in the first place so I can't think it off and I try to remember what it was in the first place that made me neurotic. And this thinking may even persist after the interview is over maybe even for hours or a day or two. And not doing or saying the right thing can give me heart palpitations and headaches, while my performance on everything else suffers. Wait, you used the med school guru for postbacc programs? Do postbaccs even have interviews? That's good to hear.
As a quick update, I found a shadowing opportunity and I hopefully will get something out of it. Looks like it will be internal med. No acceptances yet. I heard middle third of the waitlist at one of the med schools I was waitlisted at can possibly result in an acceptance. Although, it's better to be on the top third. The other school they don't disclose where you are on the WL, how many people there are, and they don't accept updates. I am also waiting for an LOR from my orgo 2 prof. The 2018 AMCAS opens up today as I will gear up for another cycle. I have a complete list of 25 schools, very few of which I will apply for the third time. I made decisions based on pre-reqs, stats, and OOS friendliness. I hope my year of volunteering will have a significant impact on my application and I believe that it is the one thing that will push me over.

Please apply to some DOs this time around.

Please apply to some DOs this time around.
Why? Is my app still not good enough? Im improving upon a 5-interview app, as well as applying to more schools. I'm not saying I'll get more than 5 interviews- but I still do believe I can get into a state school. I just really think this year was mired by bad luck. There was one major event I didn't talk about on this thread that interfered with the cycle on top of family separation issues, lack of self-confidence, and falling ill during an interview that was arguably more detrimental to my success than those combined, but it's a bit stigmatizing so I will not mention it. It cost me success at my priority school after disclosing it to the adcom. I thought disclosure and honesty would help- but it worked against me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this cycle was a "perfect storm." I don't believe I will have these same issues next cycle. But regardless, just purely looking at my application and disregarding anything intangible- is there any reason why this would not be a successful MD application? The main critiques I heard were clinical involvement and interview performance and I have dedicated time to make my clinical experience a commitment. Is there anything that else that may be deficient with my application that should relegate it to AACOMAS? I understand that my non clinical volunteering is weak, but I don't think that's a deal-breaker. Thoughts?

Why? Is my app still not good enough? Im improving upon a 5-interview app, as well as applying to more schools. I'm not saying I'll get more than 5 interviews- but I still do believe I can get into a state school. I just really think this year was mired by bad luck. There was one major event I didn't talk about on this thread that interfered with the cycle on top of family separation issues, lack of self-confidence, and falling ill during an interview that was arguably more detrimental to my success than those combined, but it's a bit stigmatizing so I will not mention it. It cost me success at my priority school after disclosing it to the adcom. I thought disclosure and honesty would help- but it worked against me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this cycle was a "perfect storm." I don't believe I will have these same issues next cycle. But regardless, just purely looking at my application and disregarding anything intangible- is there any reason why this would not be a successful MD application? The main critiques I heard were clinical involvement and interview performance and I have dedicated time to make my clinical experience a commitment. Is there anything that else that may be deficient with my application that should relegate it to AACOMAS? I understand that my non clinical volunteering is weak, but I don't think that's a deal-breaker. Thoughts?

What do you get to lose by add a few more DO schools? You will get to be a doctor if all else fails. It's far cheaper than going on your 5th cycle (this is your 4th if I understand correctly?)

From someone who have been through multiple rounds of applying to med school, residency, fellowship, the day you stop thinking about safeties is the day you get bite in the back.

What do you get to lose by add a few more DO schools? You will get to be a doctor if all else fails. It's far cheaper than going on your 5th cycle (this is your 4th if I understand correctly?)

From someone who have been through multiple rounds of applying to med school, residency, fellowship, the day you stop thinking about safeties is the day you get bite in the back.
No, this was my second and I'm going on my third cycle. You've been through multiple rounds of med school application, but you still became an MD, as your username implies. How many times did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I always recommend that people try "Sound of your voice” by Dr. Carol Fleming, it helped me a lot before my interviews!

Hey, okay I will try not to give up hope. But at the same time, I really think I should be looking towards a plan B- any plan B. I don't want to fool myself trying to keep hope up and find out later that I have nothing. Did you get accepted from any waitlists?

I only applied to med school once. When I said multiple rounds, I mean for residency and fellowship.

Please apply to some DO schools if you are serious about becoming a physician vs using this as a way to escape your precieved low self worth

I only applied to med school once. When I said multiple rounds, I mean for residency and fellowship.

Please apply to some DO schools if you are serious about becoming a physician vs using this as a way to escape your precieved low self worth
I think I'm serious about it if I want to apply a third time despite what has happened in the past few years. No, it has nothing to with low self-worth. Those two are independent from one another. I want to be an MD- I don't want the easy way out. I know it seems like a harmless idea from your point of view, but asking me to settle for an easier degree program is like telling me to lower my standards and be complacent with underachieving. What if someone told you when you were younger not to study in school that much. "Just settle for a trade school because you won't make it in a university." Well, I know you would have been a fool to comply with that advice. Likewise, I would be cheating myself if I didn't go for things that I think I deserve. And its not the first time someone had discouraged me, but every time I ignored discouragement I came out better than before. I want to be an MD and I always want to be the best I can be and go for the best things and I will not compromise my values.

I think I'm serious about it if I want to apply a third time despite what has happened in the past few years. No, it has nothing to with low self-worth. Those two are independent from one another. I want to be an MD- I don't want the easy way out. I know it seems like a harmless idea from your point of view, but asking me to settle for an easier degree program is like telling me to lower my standards and be complacent with underachieving. What if someone told you when you were younger not to study in school that much. "Just settle for a trade school because you won't make it in a university." Well, I know you would have been a fool to comply with that advice. Likewise, I would be cheating myself if I didn't go for things that I think I deserve. And its not the first time someone had discouraged me, but every time I ignored discouragement I came out better than before. I want to be an MD and I always want to be the best I can be and go for the best things and I will not compromise my values.

MD and DO are equivalent degrees. You will have a harder time specializing.

Hardly the difference between Trade school vs college.

I am telling you to apply to DO school in ADDITION to md schools...what kind of harm will that do? Still cheaper than applying another cycle.

MD and DO are equivalent degrees. You will have a harder time specializing.

Hardly the difference between Trade school vs college.

I am telling you to apply to DO school in ADDITION to md schools...what kind of harm will that do? Still cheaper than applying another cycle.
They are not equivalent degrees if one wants to do something in addition to just being in the clinic. An MD degree is more prominent and probably yields better results if seeking out other pursuits. You're right, that was a bad example. Actually, I would contest that it may be more expensive. It's a whole separate application system. If I get into MD, that money will have been a waste.

They are not equivalent degrees if one wants to do something in addition to just being in the clinic. An MD degree is more prominent and probably yields better results if seeking out other pursuits. You're right, that was a bad example. Actually, I would contest that it may be more expensive. It's a whole separate application system. If I get into MD, that money will have been a waste.

Quick example, the chairman of UPMC's radiology department is a DO. Just take it from me, you need to apply to DO school more than they need an applicant like you.

Quick example, the chairman of UPMC's radiology department is a DO. Just take it from me, you need to apply to DO school more than they need an applicant like you.
Why do they need an applicant like me, if they are supposedly equivalent degrees? And no, not necessarily, that. That's still clinical. I mean research, authorship, business exec. positions, policy, service foundations, global health, leadership positions, public health, medical innovation and the gamut of options that allows one to have a deeper impact than possible within a patient room.

It's not "relegation". It's not settling, it's not a trade school, it's not easier (the curriculum itself, I mean). You're making the difference between MD and DO out to be much more significant than it actually is. And all this talk of high level business exec positions and medical innovations and high level leadership etc is putting the cart miles before the horse. Dude you're on your third application cycle. You should be worrying about just getting into med school to begin with, not how the peak of your career is going to play out. Including DO significantly increases your chances of becoming a doctor. Isn't that the most important thing?

As far as increased cost goes, what would you rather be in the fall of 2018? A medical student who spent a lot on application fees, or a fourth-time applicant?

Last edited:
Why do they need an applicant like me, if they are supposedly equivalent degrees? And no, not necessarily, that. That's still clinical. I mean research, authorship, business exec. positions, policy, service foundations, global health, leadership positions, public health, medical innovation and the gamut of options that allows one to have a deeper impact than possible within a patient room.
Uh....? You've gone through two unsuccessful cycles--- you need to consider other options here.

Also, if you keep getting all these interviews and you're still not getting accepted anywhere, I STILL very strongly recommend you get some mental health help/support before applying again MD or DO. Its very clear after all these interviews, that whatever you're struggling with on the inside, is apparent to those who interact with you in the interview setting. And DO schools aren't stupid OR hard up for excellent candidates--they don't want someone whose struggling mentally either. (For their sake AND yours)

It would benefit you most to stop being so stubborn and insistent. (In what I'm saying and in also resisting the advice to go DO)

Those other things have nothing to do with MD vs DO degree.

Just trust me, those money will be the money most well spent in your life.

When I was applying for fellowship this year, I got cocky and only applied to programs in CA, NY and the coast. I thought any programs in Boston not affilated with a certain med school not worth applying to and did not apply to them, due to advice from my senior.

I did not nearly do as well as I thought, then I ran into guys with 15 pages of CV and NIH grant slumming it out at community fellowship interviews, because we wanted to be IR docs. It would be nice to have a nice name, but it's the training that matter.

Believe me, even though I got enough interviews at the end, the wait was terrible and my mind would have been more at ease of I applied to other entirely awesome places like BU or Jefferson rather than only UCSF and UPenn.

The end result will be the same regardless if you apply DO or not if you get into a good MD program, but the end result would be pretty different if yoh didn't.

NEVER get cocky.

It's not "relegation". It's not settling, it's not a trade school, it's not easier (the curriculum itself, I mean). You're making the difference between MD and DO out to be much more significant than it actually is. And all this talk of high level business exec positions and medical innovations and high level leadership etc is putting the cart miles before the horse. Dude you're on your third application cycle. You should be worrying about just getting into med school to begin with, not how the peak of your career is going to play out. Including DO significantly increases your chances of becoming a doctor. Isn't that the most important thing?
The most important thing is getting the best opportunities at whatever I do. If I get a PhD in research, I want to go to a high-tier program. If I go into the medical field, I want to be an MD. If I want to do something else, I want to have a doctorate-level degree at a great institution. I dont think I want to do business or innovation; I just want options. I want to help in different ways. I want to be great, I want to give my all, I want to use every bit of energy and potential that I have. I don't want to end up like my parents, I don't want to end up like the kids I went to high school with, I don't want to be like the people in my church. I want to be something more. It's not cool being ignorant, lazy, cynical, etc. like the people I've been around all my life. I want to be more than that.

The most important thing is getting the best opportunities at whatever I do. If I get a PhD in research, I want to go to a high-tier program. If I go into the medical field, I want to be an MD. If I want to do something else, I want to have a doctorate-level degree at a great institution. I dont think I want to do business or innovation; I just want options. I want to help in different ways. I want to be great, I want to give my all, I want to use every bit of energy and potential that I have. I don't want to end up like my parents, I don't want to end up like the kids I went to high school with, I don't want to be like the people in my church. I want to be something more. It's not cool being ignorant, lazy, cynical, etc. like the people I've been around all my life. I want to be more than that.

Think seriously about why you want to be a physician. It's about more than being more successful versus the jones

Uh....? You've gone through two unsuccessful cycles--- you need to consider other options here.

Also, if you keep getting all these interviews and you're still not getting accepted anywhere, I STILL very strongly recommend you get some mental health help/support before applying again MD or DO. Its very clear after all these interviews, that whatever you're struggling with on the inside, is apparent to those who interact with you in the interview setting. And DO schools aren't stupid OR hard up for excellent candidates--they don't want someone whose struggling mentally either. (For their sake AND yours)

It would benefit you most to stop being so stubborn and insistent. (In what I'm saying and in also resisting the advice to go DO)
Well, I had an interview at a DO school before and it was nothing like the MD interviews I've been to. I didn't like it, ok. However, the only DO that I like is UNECOM. I went to an open house there cuz my friend lives in Maine and it was amazing. I don't have the pre-reqs though because they want a certain amount of behavioral science. If I did, I would apply. My friend wants me to apply so bad that he asked his dad to pay the courses for me (he's rich) lol. He knows that if we both got into UNE, he would annoy me all four years. But I don't like the experience I had at the one DO interview and I don't like the concept of DO mainly because I saw a lot of people in my school who knew they weren't good candidates and went for DO. Since then, it seems merely like a cop-out to me more than anything. The MD kids at my school went hard and I could tell. There was one kid who I thought was really good, but couldn't get into MD but he did get into DO/PhD so there was something special about him indeed. I feel as though the underlying premise behind everyone's message to go DO is that DO schools aren't sensitive to interview performance. But that's precisely why I eventually got rejected from the DO school I applied to the first time. If a bad interview was my demise for MD, who's to say it won't happen for DO?

Those other things have nothing to do with MD vs DO degree.

Just trust me, those money will be the money most well spent in your life.

When I was applying for fellowship this year, I got cocky and only applied to programs in CA, NY and the coast. I thought any programs in Boston not affilated with a certain med school not worth applying to and did not apply to them, due to advice from my senior.

I did not nearly do as well as I thought, then I ran into guys with 15 pages of CV and NIH grant slumming it out at community fellowship interviews, because we wanted to be IR docs. It would be nice to have a nice name, but it's the training that matter.

Believe me, even though I got enough interviews at the end, the wait was terrible and my mind would have been more at ease of I applied to other entirely awesome places like BU or Jefferson rather than only UCSF and UPenn.

The end result will be the same regardless if you apply DO or not if you get into a good MD program, but the end result would be pretty different if yoh didn't.

NEVER get cocky.
What do you mean "those money will be the money most well spent in your life."?
Jeez, I'm not being cocky. If I hadn't applied the first two times and I waited till next cycle, the conversation would be totally different. No one would be asking me to consider DO. I shouldnt have applied the first two times and I wasn't ready. I simply rushed through everything. The first 3 MCAT exams and the first two app cycles. I took my first MCAT before I took orgo 2, after my sophomore year in college with minimal study. I took it 3 times in 5 months! I think about that and realize that was a bit drastic. I applied the first time without a lick of volunteering on my app. The second time I had major life events. I'm not being cocky, I'm applying to MD with an MCAT higher than the average matriculant and GPA of average matriculant. It's not like I'm applying with a 505 and 3.3.

Think seriously about why you want to be a physician. It's about more than being more successful versus the jones
Most of the reasons people have for being a physician can be fulfilled by being an nurse, NP, PA, podiatrist, medical assistant, etc. You know that most people who want to be a physician do so because of success and prestige, to some extent. Am I wrong?

Most of the reasons people have for being a physician can be fulfilled by being an nurse, NP, PA, podiatrist, medical assistant, etc. You know that most people who want to be a physician do so because of success and prestige, to some extent. Am I wrong?

You are wrong. Most people want to be a physician because they want to DIAGNOSE and/or treat human illness while being paid well for it, not so they can leave the house or feel different from their neigbhor.

What do you mean "those money will be the money most well spent in your life."?
Jeez, I'm not being cocky. If I hadn't applied the first two times and I waited till next cycle, the conversation would be totally different. No one would be asking me to consider DO. I shouldnt have applied the first two times and I wasn't ready. I simply rushed through everything. The first 3 MCAT exams and the first two app cycles. I took my first MCAT before I took orgo 2, after my sophomore year in college with minimal study. I took it 3 times in 5 months! I think about that and realize that was a bit drastic. I applied the first time without a lick of volunteering on my app. The second time I had major life events. I'm not being cocky, I'm applying to MD with an MCAT higher than the average matriculant and GPA of average matriculant. It's not like I'm applying with a 505 and 3.3.

It doesn't matter how many time you reapplied. My whole story is about how you should have alternative plans even if you are the best applicant. Would have told you the same thing even if you are applying for the first time. This isn't about your ego.

You are wrong. Most people want to be a physician because they want to DIAGNOSE and/or treat human illness while being paid well for it, not so they can leave the house or feel different from their neigbhor.
And NP's, PA's, and podiatrists don't do that?

It doesn't matter how many time you reapplied. My whole story is about how you should have alternative plans even if you are the best applicant. Would have told you the same thing even if you are applying for the first time. This isn't about your ego.
My backup is physics, I guess. But like I said, I would like to get a PhD at a high-tier institution if I were to do so. Because I want the best opportunities. But that's really not guaranteed. I'm decent at physics, but I have no idea how far I can go with it. I talked about this before in the thread, so that's what it is in terms of my back-up plan. I apologize for my ego and my ego does too. But please realize it's not a selfish ego trying to get things at the expense of others. It's just an ambitious ego, trying to get things because I want to be the best I can be.

Well, I had an interview at a DO school before and it was nothing like the MD interviews I've been to. I didn't like it, ok. However, the only DO that I like is UNECOM. I went to an open house there cuz my friend lives in Maine and it was amazing. I don't have the pre-reqs though because they want a certain amount of behavioral science. If I did, I would apply. My friend wants me to apply so bad that he asked his dad to pay the courses for me (he's rich) lol. He knows that if we both got into UNE, he would annoy me all four years. But I don't like the experience I had at the one DO interview and I don't like the concept of DO mainly because I saw a lot of people in my school who knew they weren't good candidates and went for DO. Since then, it seems merely like a cop-out to me more than anything. The MD kids at my school went hard and I could tell. There was one kid who I thought was really good, but couldn't get into MD but he did get into DO/PhD so there was something special about him indeed. I feel as though the underlying premise behind everyone's message to go DO is that DO schools aren't sensitive to interview performance. But that's precisely why I eventually got rejected from the DO school I applied to the first time. If a bad interview was my demise for MD, who's to say it won't happen for DO?
Right, so what I'm saying is that it probably will happen at a D.O. school as well. You need to get help for the underlying issues that are tanking all of your interviews.

Like I said before, whatever is you're struggling with internally, has been externally obvious to your interviewers. Or at least they know you're off-kilter (right now).

It appears as though you really need to address your underlying issues before you can gain the type of acceptances you're looking for.

Trust me, if you don't, you'll likely be sitting on another pile of rejections next year. Med schools can't take a risk like this on someone they know needs mental health help which they clearly have picked up on given that you have so many post-interview rejections.

DO does not prevent you from being great and giving it your all, nor does it excessively dampen ambition. Any number of people will corroborate that. Unfortunately it seems to be you who's standing in the way of your own path to greatness, since your unique misconception of what DO means and how it's perceived is preventing you from applying broadly and increasing your own chances of success. That seems a little sad, in an ironic, shoot yourself in the foot kinda way. But not selfish.

And NP's, PA's, and podiatrists don't do that?

They do not practice medicine independently and across all organ systems. They do not have an unrestricted license lile I do.

Right, so what I'm saying is that it probably will happen at a D.O. school as well. You need to get help for the underlying issues that are tanking all of your interviews.

Like I said before, whatever is you're struggling with internally, has been externally obvious to your interviewers. Or at least they know you're off-kilter (right now).

It appears as though you really need to address your underlying issues before you can gain the type of acceptances you're looking for.

Trust me, if you don't, you'll likely be sitting on another pile of rejections next year. Med schools can't take a risk like this on someone they know needs mental health help which they clearly have picked up on given that you have so many post-interview rejections.
Ok I get it. Get help. Understood. I have 3 post interview rejections and 1 last year. Is it that bad? Im still on two WL's. Also, all of the interview were in Feb or March so I was probably interviewing for the waitlist anyway.

Guys, I admire your heroic efforts to provide excellence advice, but didn't you notice the cognitive dissonance filling the thread?

DO does not prevent you from being great and giving it your all, nor does it excessively dampen ambition. Any number of people will corroborate that. Unfortunately it seems to be you who's standing in the way of your own path to greatness, since your unique misconception of what DO means and how it's perceived is preventing you from applying broadly and increasing your own chances of success. That seems a little sad, in an ironic, shoot yourself in the foot kinda way. But not selfish.

Well, I don't mean I want to be great like publicly great. I mean great by my own standards. How do you know what great is to me? And yes, I am sure I have a misconception of DO but I didn't like my interview day. I mean there was no organization going on. It seemed like they weren't ready for me. I was waiting for a while. There was one other interviewee. I couldn't relate to the med students or the other interviewee. The interviewer was mean and judgmental. I didn't like the area it was in. It seemed rather isolated. I didn't like it. However, UNECOM was awesome. It was right by the water. The med students were so nice. The guy who I think was either a professor or adcom was really nice and understanding. It was connected to the rest of the university, so it wasn't isolated. It was in a beautiful area. Now, that's a school!

Well, I don't mean I want to be great like publicly great. I mean great by my own standards. How do you know what great is to me? And yes, I am sure I have a misconception of DO but I didn't like my interview day. I mean there was no organization going on. It seemed like they weren't ready for me. I was waiting for a while. There was one other interviewee. I couldn't relate to the med students or the other interviewee. The interviewer was mean and judgmental. I didn't like the area it was in. It seemed rather isolated. I didn't like it. However, UNECOM was awesome. It was right by the water. The med students were so nice. The guy who I think was either a professor or adcom was really nice and understanding. It was connected to the rest of the university, so it wasn't isolated. It was in a beautiful area. Now, that's a school!

You know what's another interview day that did not have organization? One of the Harvard med school's IR fellowship two years ago according to my senior resident.

Clearly all Harvard hospital sucks cuz unorganized interview day.

Ok I get it. Get help. Understood. I have 3 post interview rejections and 1 last year. Is it that bad? Im still on two WL's. Also, all of the interview were in Feb or March so I was probably interviewing for the waitlist anyway.
Yes. It's pretty much unheard of to have that many post interview rejections (that don't come in July). It is "that bad."

@Goro you're totally right but I hate that you are because this is so painful to watch, ya can't help but want to try to get through!!

They do not practice medicine independently and across all organ systems. They do not have an unrestricted license lile I do.
So, in other words, they are autonomous? Good, cuz that's also one of the reasons I want to be a physician (see post #120). All organ systems? Maybe not podiatrists... but being that np's and pa's have to go into that patient room by themselves in a primary care setting, I believe they do need to practice across different organ systems.

You know what's another interview day that did not have organization? One of the Harvard med school's IR fellowship two years ago according to my senior resident.

Clearly all Harvard hospital sucks cuz unorganized interview day.
Well, that's worrisome, yet not a deal-breaker. I'm sure Harvard is redeemed by its reputation. By harvard hospital, you mean mass gen hospital? Its kind of a good hospital lol.

Go for it Idiotface, I actually think you can do it. I get where your coming from. Just practice interviews and think positively, if you honestly question yourself, I believe you know where you went wrong and you know how to improve, your mind is in a negative feedback loop, don't worry though just gotta use all that energy to improve yourself and if MD is the only way for you, be prepared to deal with the consequences if you don't want to apply D.O., and understand that you must absolutely get better and remember all the people who say you can't and take what they say and learn from it. Not necessarily the right path, even though it may be a more reasonable way to go about it, humans being are irrational creatures, but we also live in an irrational world. Just take time to reflect on what it is you truly want and try to examine yourself and your actions. Honestly I get where your coming from, we all have doubts and its really stressful, but take a step back to look at where you are at and how you can improve, that how we learn and adapt. If it means living up to your standards, try your best to show the admission committee what it is that you need to do and how to get there. I'd buy you a beer just to help you out, but I'm broke as hell you got this. Sometimes might just be unlucky with admissions as everything is getting more competitive.

Well, that's worrisome, yet not a deal-breaker. I'm sure Harvard is redeemed by its reputation. By harvard hospital, you mean mass gen hospital? Its kind of a good hospital lol.

I think some people have heard of mass general, prob more than those who have heard of LECOM or Touro.

You know what's funny though? Their graduates get paid for the same per RVU

Yes. It's pretty much unheard of to have that many post interview rejections (that don't come in July). It is "that bad."

@Goro you're totally right but I hate that you are because this is so painful to watch, ya can't help but want to try to get through!!
Okay, then. I'll come back better the next time. I don't regret failure. I would rather try and fail then never try. I dont care if I got all 6 rejections. That's all a part of climbing your way up. The friends I had in high school lived in the trailer park and not even they respected me. You guys take your status for granted, but I never do. I owe it to myself to try my best to get out of the BS I've been through and I don't apologize for it. It might be bad to you, but I'm proud of it. I kept everything from my interview days. I even took the place card that they had set on the dinner tables that had my name on it and I'm never throwing it out. And I'll always strive to be better.
What cognitive dissonance? lol Cognitive dissonance is when evidence is perceived that runs counter to one's belief. I see none here. If it seems I have cognitive dissonance, then I must not be articulating myself well enough.

Alright, alright. You know you best. Wishing you luck on the two remaining waitlists anyway, hopefully they'll get back to you soon now that we're post-traffic day.

Okay, then. I'll come back better the next time. I don't regret failure. I would rather try and fail then never try. I dont care if I got all 6 rejections. That's all a part of climbing your way up. The friends I had in high school lived in the trailer park and not even they respected me. You guys take your status for granted, but I never do. I owe it to myself to try my best to get out of the BS I've been through and I don't apologize for it. It might be bad to you, but I'm proud of it. I kept everything from my interview days. I even took the place card that they had set on the dinner tables that had my name on it and I'm never throwing it out. And I'll always strive to be better.
What cognitive dissonance? lol Cognitive dissonance is when evidence is perceived that runs counter to one's belief. I see none here. If it seems I have cognitive dissonance, then I must not be articulating myself well enough.
Dude. What part of what I've said in any of these posts makes you think I'm trying to make you feel badly in any way?

I'm trying to get through to you the obvious severity of your situation. If it's not normal to have so many post interview rejections, don't you think you owe it to yourself to really understand what's going on that makes these interviews end so badly for you?

You're not going to get in without doing things extremely differently. You can go ahead and tack on hundreds of great EC hours year after year but you'll never get in if every interviewer you get worries about your mental health.

Solve that by taking care of yourself FIRST. Getting in will follow VERY easily once you are healthy.

You're the only thing standing in your way right now. Realize that and do something about it

No, it has nothing to with low self-worth. Those two are independent from one another.
You ever consider there's an underlying issue surrounding everything?

Go for it Idiotface, I actually think you can do it. I get where your coming from. Just practice interviews and think positively, if you honestly question yourself, I believe you know where you went wrong and you know how to improve, your mind is in a negative feedback loop, don't worry though just gotta use all that energy to improve yourself and if MD is the only way for you, be prepared to deal with the consequences if you don't want to apply D.O., and understand that you must absolutely get better and remember all the people who say you can't and take what they say and learn from it. Not necessarily the right path, even though it may be a more reasonable way to go about it, humans being are irrational creatures, but we also live in an irrational world. Just take time to reflect on what it is you truly want and try to examine yourself and your actions. Honestly I get where your coming from, we all have doubts and its really stressful, but take a step back to look at where you are at and how you can improve, that how we learn and adapt. If it means living up to your standards, try your best to show the admission committee what it is that you need to do and how to get there. I'd buy you a beer just to help you out, but I'm broke as hell you got this. Sometimes might just be unlucky with admissions as everything is getting more competitive.
Thanks, it means a lot. I noticed how Goro liked every post except for this one. Lol. But yes, I realize I have to deal with the consequences and I will. Life won't end, I'll be fine. Maybe Ill do physics or math or something theoretical. I like theoretical work more than anything. Im not a lab person, unfortunately. But who is to say what the right path is? It's completely subjective. I can't believe how people think that they're entitled to have people blindly obey their advice. Man, if I always listened to what everybody said to me, I would be a fool. I understand people giving their advice but if someone doesnt want to take it, then let it be. I'm being ambushed out here by these people- especially Goro's likes that subtly undermine my message, but promote anything contrary to it. No thanks I dont drink. Yes, things are insanely competitive but I won't shift blame to that. Thanks.

I think some people have heard of mass general, prob more than those who have heard of LECOM or Touro.

You know what's funny though? Their graduates get paid for the same per RVU
Good to know. Its not about the money, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.