This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, looks like you got 5 interviews this cycle. That's a huge accomplishment right there. There are plenty of applicants who don't even get one interview, so you should be feeling proud that these schools see your potential and recognize the merits of your application.

Look at the positives too - don't just focus on the negatives. I recommend making a list or reflecting on some of your positive attributes and accomplishments. Find ways to channel these positives into your communication, at interviews and in your interactions with others. You can consult family/close friends to get their take on your positive attributes. If they have nothing nice to say, the fault's on them (not you) for not recognizing your strengths - especially among friends who always criticize. You want to surround yourself by people who lift you up, not bring you down.

Once you've gotten a good grasp of your strengths, start tackling some of the feedback that you've received. Look at it as an opportunity for improvement rather than criticism. No need to be so harsh on yourself.
Okay, thanks, I know all the good stuff I have. I mean, I've had to rewrite my resume like a million times lol. I asked for feedback from the second school that rejected me, so we will see what they say. I will post it on here after I hear it. I can't imagine what they will say. It was an MMI, so are they going to talk about what each interviewer thought, or what? Bear in mind that this was the school I fell ill at. Regarding my app, they did at once note my shortage of clinical experience so I'm sure they will bring that up once more. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 514 MCAT and 3.75 GPA, you are very close to getting that acceptance. Between GPA, MCAT, and interview skills, interview skills are the easiest to fix! While I have never interviewed at a medical school, I have interviewed for several engineering positions throughout my career and have also interviewed other people for engineering and drafting positions. In my experience interviewing other people, the most confident interviewee is the one that can answer a question in one to two sentences. I'v seen many people answer a question well and then just start adding to their answer which comes off as rambling (engineers are the worst at rambling). Now I know medical school interviews are much more complex than job interviews BUT this is what looks good to me in an interview:

1) Smile! especially when answering a question. It makes you look interested.

2) Start your answer by first answering the question directly and then (if the question allows) add a short explanation.

3) Give positive answers! It automatically turns me off from an interviewee when they talk about how much they hated school or hated a previous job because their boss sucked. I've had someone go on about how their senior design project could have worked if he was given better team members to work with (question was just simply what was your senior design project) In your case, I would avoid talking negatively about specialties.

4) Everyone is nervous for interviews. Some are really great at hiding it and some are terrible at hiding it. Even though everyone is nervous, showing that you are visibly nervous is going to really bring down your interview. If you are visibly nervous because of a mental health issue, go see your doctor and get it managed. If its not mental health, you are most likely just unprepared. A job interview can we winged a medical school interview CAN NOT.

Like I said, this is just based on my experience interviewing for various engineering/drafting jobs (it's been a while since I've been to one though) and in interviewing candidates at my current job. I'm obviously not a doctor but your posts do make me wonder if you have ADD or anxiety. I have plenty of friends that have one or the other (or both) and they really got it under control after going to see a doctor. If you have anxiety or ADD, it's not your fault. Getting your mental health taken care of could be the difference between 3 Acceptances and reapplying. You've got great stats and it has shown by the 5 II you've netted, all you need to do is crush the interview and you're in!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi OP:

I realize that I'm probably late so my advice probably won't hold too much weight, but what the hell lol.

1. You got a 514 and a 3.75. That's really good for MD, let alone DO!
2. Pardon me for saying this but your self-esteem issues are concerning. As an introvert with social anxiety and constant paranoia that I'm upsetting someone about my appearance or whatever, I also get that. However, an interview is not the place to show that. You seem to have done pretty well in your interview answers but please focus on the positives and reflecting constructively on criticisms that are given to you.
3. In any interview, make no mistake about the "Why do you want to go here?" question. They're not really asking about why that particular school is good (they already think they're good), but why you would be a good fit for them.
4. Beggars can't be choosers. You're the student vying for a position at their university, so you want to avoid any "I don't like this specialty vs another". It's good to have a direction in mind, but try to just spam benefits of all specialties.
5. Don't browse SDN too much. Seeing "bestdocever1996 posted WAMC: MCAT:528, GPA: 4.0" can be pretty disheartening lol.
6. I got a 513 and a 3.5, and I got 1 interview out of all 25 schools, so you did well!

Improving your interview skills (in your case, it's really just improving your confidence and not beating yourself over the head for every small thing) may be difficult but it certainly isn't time consuming as pursuing several years of post-bacc work or retaking the MCAT.

Also, the cashier jobs probably rejected you because you were overqualified, so that happens...

Ah, that's a good idea! "Spam benefits of all specialties." Hm, interesting...
Its not SDN, I go on. Its mdapps, plus that thing 528/4.0 isnt impressive to me. Numbers only go so far. But its the people that find time to do everything in the universe and still have time left over to get exceptional numbers that impress me. Not many people can do that.
It wasnt just the cashier job, it was also the numerous clinical positions I applied to- including med scribe. It's funny because people talk about getting certain opportunities as if it's so easy to get them and the problem is actually doing it over a long period of time and committing to it along with school and other extracurrics. News flash- getting a position in and of itself is difficult. Another thing is that I've had trouble maintaining activities and not because I get tired of them. How do people stay on board with something for 2-3 years?
Lastly, I should know with the other three schools within a week or two. I will also try to get feedback from all of them. All I need is one acceptance and I have a good feeling I can get one. I fell in love with my state school on interview day, I must admit! I hope to get that phone call from the dean of admissions in a couple weeks.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you your plan B is to get a PhD in Physics, medicine probably isn't for you. I truly feel that this is one of the only fields that you choose because you want it more then anything and you can't imagine doing anything else. You can't have a Plan B. You can't have second thoughts, they will destroy you. Good luck with everything. Rise above, get past your issues. Whether or not you seek counseling you should be more receptive to the feed back you've been given on this thread and realize that maybe you are wrong. GOOD LUCK!

With a 514 MCAT and 3.75 GPA, you are very close to getting that acceptance. Between GPA, MCAT, and interview skills, interview skills are the easiest to fix! While I have never interviewed at a medical school, I have interviewed for several engineering positions throughout my career and have also interviewed other people for engineering and drafting positions. In my experience interviewing other people, the most confident interviewee is the one that can answer a question in one to two sentences. I'v seen many people answer a question well and then just start adding to their answer which comes off as rambling (engineers are the worst at rambling). Now I know medical school interviews are much more complex than job interviews BUT this is what looks good to me in an interview:

1) Smile! especially when answering a question. It makes you look interested.

2) Start your answer by first answering the question directly and then (if the question allows) add a short explanation.

3) Give positive answers! It automatically turns me off from an interviewee when they talk about how much they hated school or hated a previous job because their boss sucked. I've had someone go on about how their senior design project could have worked if he was given better team members to work with (question was just simply what was your senior design project) In your case, I would avoid talking negatively about specialties.

4) Everyone is nervous for interviews. Some are really great at hiding it and some are terrible at hiding it. Even though everyone is nervous, showing that you are visibly nervous is going to really bring down your interview. If you are visibly nervous because of a mental health issue, go see your doctor and get it managed. If its not mental health, you are most likely just unprepared. A job interview can we winged a medical school interview CAN NOT.

Like I said, this is just based on my experience interviewing for various engineering/drafting jobs (it's been a while since I've been to one though) and in interviewing candidates at my current job. I'm obviously not a doctor but your posts do make me wonder if you have ADD or anxiety. I have plenty of friends that have one or the other (or both) and they really got it under control after going to see a doctor. If you have anxiety or ADD, it's not your fault. Getting your mental health taken care of could be the difference between 3 Acceptances and reapplying. You've got great stats and it has shown by the 5 II you've netted, all you need to do is crush the interview and you're in!
Oh, that's interesting. Are you thinking about switching career paths to medicine? Ok, so being concise in interviews is important. Ok, Ill try to smile when answering although I dont usually do that. I typically smile at the beginning and end and maybe with some questions, but not for every question. Yes, I realize the thing about talking negatively about peds.
Its funny you say that med school interviews cannot be winged. At one of my interviews, there was plenty of time before me and two others had our interviews. And we hung outside and started talking and I quickly realized that they probably hadn't prepared. Mind you, one of them already had two acceptances at UPitt and UMaryland, talked about smoking weed, talking about a girl that walked by, and whining about how he did not get an interview at another school. The other one was a reapplicant that had not been accepted yet, just like me. They both said they didn't know about the interview at this school. I told them well this is a school that may ask about healthcare policy or ethical situations. I knew this because I had done some research prior. So I brought out my phone and went on an SDN thread for the schools interview and we went over Obamacare and we did some classic ethics situations like patient confidentiality, for example. I had the feeling that these other two prepared less than me. I don't necessarily think that I "wing" interviews, but there's only so much prep you can do. I did do a couple mock interviews, I did research on traditional interviews and MMI, I researched schools, and I looked at threads discussing school interviews. I mean, what more can I do? Sheesh. Do I have to interview every student and learn every detail about the school? Because I did that when I took advantage of the student hosting at two schools- even at an instate school where they were shocked that I had done it because mostly OOS applicants who don't have a place to stay do it. But I did it because I thought it may be good interview prep to pick their brains about the interview and school. Do I have to hack adcoms computers to see every interview question they ask word for word and go around asking every single interview expert in America what the best answer would be and work for days crafting my answer and rehearse all of my answers with hours and hours of mock interview? Because I can't- my only mock interviewer is busy most of the time, I don't know interview experts, and hacking is illegal. What exactly should I do to prepare? And no I dont have the funds to get professional interview prep. Im hopelessly and pathetically poor.
Not ADD, but yes anxiety.
Thanks.

If you your plan B is to get a PhD in Physics, medicine probably isn't for you. I truly feel that this is one of the only fields that you choose because you want it more then anything and you can't imagine doing anything else. You can't have a Plan B. You can't have second thoughts, they will destroy you. Good luck with everything. Rise above, get past your issues. Whether or not you seek counseling you should be more receptive to the feed back you've been given on this thread and realize that maybe you are wrong. GOOD LUCK!
A Plan B can save me just as much as it can destroy me. Yes I admit that Im wrong, but does that make it so that I may not rationalize why I did something?

Oh, that's interesting. Are you thinking about switching career paths to medicine? Ok, so being concise in interviews is important. Ok, Ill try to smile when answering although I dont usually do that. I typically smile at the beginning and end and maybe with some questions, but not for every question. Yes, I realize the thing about talking negatively about peds.
Its funny you say that med school interviews cannot be winged. At one of my interviews, there was plenty of time before me and two others had our interviews. And we hung outside and started talking and I quickly realized that they probably hadn't prepared. Mind you, one of them already had two acceptances at UPitt and UMaryland, talked about smoking weed, talking about a girl that walked by, and whining about how he did not get an interview at another school. The other one was a reapplicant that had not been accepted yet, just like me. They both said they didn't know about the interview at this school. I told them well this is a school that may ask about healthcare policy or ethical situations. I knew this because I had done some research prior. So I brought out my phone and went on an SDN thread for the schools interview and we went over Obamacare and we did some classic ethics situations like patient confidentiality, for example. I had the feeling that these other two prepared less than me. I don't necessarily think that I "wing" interviews, but there's only so much prep you can do. I did do a couple mock interviews, I did research on traditional interviews and MMI, I researched schools, and I looked at threads discussing school interviews. I mean, what more can I do? Sheesh. Do I have to interview every student and learn every detail about the school? Because I did that when I took advantage of the student hosting at two schools- even at an instate school where they were shocked that I had done it because mostly OOS applicants who don't have a place to stay do it. But I did it because I thought it may be good interview prep to pick their brains about the interview and school. Do I have to hack adcoms computers to see every interview question they ask word for word and go around asking every single interview expert in America what the best answer would be and work for days crafting my answer and rehearse all of my answers with hours and hours of mock interview? Because I can't- my only mock interviewer is busy most of the time, I don't know interview experts, and hacking is illegal. What exactly should I do to prepare? And no I dont have the funds to get professional interview prep. Im hopelessly and pathetically poor.
Not ADD, but yes anxiety.
Thanks.
You certainly seem more prepared than the average student when it comes to interviews. It all might just boil down to your anxiety. Everyone gets nervous, but if you are coming prepared (sounds like you are) and your nervousness is getting in the way of a solid interview, I would go see a doctor and get it managed. And yes I am trying to apply this year to med school (my stats aren't nearly as good as yours).

Also, I don't think your posts come off as rambleing, I think you just add lots of detail to your posts. As someone who has never had a med school interview before, thank you for posting about your interviews in such great detail.

I get your overall point about commitment, but I wouldn't agree it's quite that absolute. Going into my app cycle, I knew I'd be devastated if I never got in, but I had a plan B tentatively formed if I failed in multiple cycles. And I drew a solid line at staying in the country - if my only option was to go Carib or abroad, I'd have walked away. There are plenty of students and doctors for whom medicine isn't a calling, and more of a job. It's okay to feel that way. And I don't think second thoughts (to a certain extent) are a bad thing at all. Actually, imo it's the lack of taking the time to consider second thoughts that leads so many college students to blindly charge forward as premeds.

When my dad went to counseling, it did nothing for him. He's still depressed all day long making everyones life miserable. When my mom went to counseling, she still had psychological issues. "Counseling" doesn't do anything unless the problem is removed. My problem is my lack of independence and freedom to be myself and that could be removed if I went to med school. From the time I was a baby, it seemed my dad did not approve of any kind of happiness or fun. My mom thought it was okay to take away my freedom, make ridiculous rules, and make my life a misery when I didn't abide by them. I think you're making the assumption that these psychological issues are inherently part of my personality. For some people, it is. Not for me. I take on a different persona at home, but I really just want to be myself. I know what it's like to think normally, so I don't think I'm being the real me when I have these issues. Rather, I think there is a trigger. So therefore, I don't think these issues would cripple me in med school. On the contrary, I think they would go away and I could be the person I want to be.
I know what you are thinking. "He is saying he's going to change but not really. I've seen this many times before." However, I would throw caution to this way of thinking. This may not be the case with me. I just want to go out on my own and see if I can expel some of my demons if I am indeed allowed to be myself, instead of chronically suppressing my true personality and character. Its not fair I just want to be myself!!!! But i cant. :(
But I am secretly honored that the great Goro replied to my thread! But it's still doesn't help my problem. Thanks anyway for reaching out to me. Btw I come from an extremely religious conservative traditional family where fun and freedom is basically death.
Damnnnn dude I feel your pain, Helicopter parents are definitely the worst I felt like my whole life I have been the only one going through this stuff. If you ever find out how to improve let me know, I could never put it into words this actually made me feel better.

You certainly seem more prepared than the average student when it comes to interviews. It all might just boil down to your anxiety. Everyone gets nervous, but if you are coming prepared (sounds like you are) and your nervousness is getting in the way of a solid interview, I would go see a doctor and get it managed. And yes I am trying to apply this year to med school (my stats aren't nearly as good as yours).

Also, I don't think your posts come off as rambleing, I think you just add lots of detail to your posts. As someone who has never had a med school interview before, thank you for posting about your interviews in such great detail.
Wow, that's awesome that you decided to do medicine. May I ask why you switched over? Was it not enough social interaction, the work is boring, not enough jobs in the field, not enough job security, flexible hours, autonomy, etc.? Or did you always have in medicine in mind and you finally got around to it? Because it must take a lot to get someone in a nice-paying field like engineering to put everything down and go for medicine.
No problem for posting about my interviews. If you have any questions, let me know. Overall, I've been to 6 med school interviews because I had one last cycle so I might be able to tell you some things. Like for example, the food that they offer is not enough and you might get hungry throughout the day lol. Also, don't be mad if you get rejected post-interview. You are trying to find the school that brings out the best in you and I think you should be able to figure that out during the interview. I feel as though I did with at least one interview and I will find out the decision soon enough. I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for the post.

Damnnnn dude I feel your pain, Helicopter parents are definitely the worst I felt like my whole life I have been the only one going through this stuff. If you ever find out how to improve let me know, I could never put it into words this actually made me feel better.
No problem. Some people are liberated by knowing that there's someone else who faces a similar problem. I'm glad that my rather embarrassing disclosure has been helpful for someone else. Idk, I think I feel better when I'm simply away from them. Sometimes, people give off negative energy and it's bad to be around them. Furthermore, it typically hurts not helps when a parent is authoritarian because most likely that parent doesn't value your abilities and competence. Instead of bringing out those strengths, they may be stifled. My other two friends I had in college who I was really close with, I began to notice that they too had some confidence problems and both of them had problems with their parents. For example, my female friend had a mother who always treated her terribly. She complained to me one time that her mother never liked her. Now, she is like 26 or 27 and won't apply because she doesn't have the confidence to apply. She passes it off as "being bad" at applications. I don't know how that's possible. My male friend has some serious confidence problems. Imagine having a project to do for school and the professor critiques it once and the student is so turned off by the criticism that he doesn't complete it by the end of the semester. Furthermore, he is given more time by the professor to complete it after the semester. It's been a year and half since that semester ended and it still hasn't been done. And the professor is still welcoming him to get it done. Aside from that anecdote, I realize he has confidence problems frequently. Also, he told me how his mother used to be with him when he was younger. Whenever he would ask his mom for academic help, she would give him the answer and say "it's easy." It's funny because whenever I would tutor him and say something he didn't understand, he would say "Oh, that's easy" and come around later and ask me the same question. "That's easy" became a defense mechanism whenever someone knew something that he didn't. His dad wasn't around much in his childhood, but when I met him and stayed over there for like a couple weeks, his dad wasn't exactly the supportive type. He gave him a lot of BS when he was around.
And I have seen it in the opposite way, as well. I knew someone in high school who was such a jerk and had to point out every time someone was doing something wrong or stupid. He didn't seem to have any confidence problems even though he himself was made fun of in high school. One time, I heard him talk about a suicide victim and he called that person weak. He said no one should care about what others say and they should get their confidence from what their parents say. It should never matter what others say. So this makes me think that his parents were able to interact with him well and give him confidence.
All in all, this makes me think that people's confidence may be largely derived from their dealings with their parents. Idk the solution, but I will let you know how everything pans out when I eventually leave this place. I don't think I will stay another year. My dad is really getting to me. This post will be my personal diary as things in my life begin to take shape.

Wow, that's awesome that you decided to do medicine. May I ask why you switched over? Was it not enough social interaction, the work is boring, not enough jobs in the field, not enough job security, flexible hours, autonomy, etc.? Or did you always have in medicine in mind and you finally got around to it? Because it must take a lot to get someone in a nice-paying field like engineering to put everything down and go for medicine.
No problem for posting about my interviews. If you have any questions, let me know. Overall, I've been to 6 med school interviews because I had one last cycle so I might be able to tell you some things. Like for example, the food that they offer is not enough and you might get hungry throughout the day lol. Also, don't be mad if you get rejected post-interview. You are trying to find the school that brings out the best in you and I think you should be able to figure that out during the interview. I feel as though I did with at least one interview and I will find out the decision soon enough. I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for the post.
You're welcome. As for the switch, it has nothing to do with engineering and everything to do with medicine. I like engineering but to me, medicine is like engineering but with a purpose. Most engineers are working to make other people money. If I put in the extra time to make one of my designs more efficient, I'm only putting more money into the owners pocket. In medicine, extra time and effort can mean catching a rare diagnosis or being more thorough with patient visits. I get great job satisfaction from engineering but I also want to go home and I know I bettered someones life. Not a knock against engineering as I don't find anything wrong with going to work just for a paycheck.

As for your questions:

1) I do get social interaction but it's usually with other engineers and/or people who are interacting with me as part of their job. I do like how doctors get more time with people are in need of help as opposed to people who are just interacting with me as part of their job. This was a big part of the reason I am trying to switch. I really like working with regular people who just need help or advice.

2) The work is actually not boring at all. I work for a lightning protection contractor and I like getting to design lightning protection systems and diagnose electrical problems. Diagnosing electrical problems is the favorite part of my job. This helped me decide to make my switch because I am very interested in the diagnosing and problem solving aspects that doctors are involved in.

3) There are plenty of jobs in the field. It is not as stable a career as most people try to make it out to be but almost all of my classmates had jobs within a month of graduation making 60-80k. Doctors obviously have many more options and can pick up a job quicker than an engineer but this was not really a factor in my decision to switch.

4) Job security at my current job is great. I'm the only engineer at my company with a licence to do lightning protection design. As for other engineers, they get laid off just like every other job but that's not part of the reason for my switch.

5) Hours are basic 9-5. I do like how doctors (especially EM) are typically not working routine 9-5 jobs but this is not really a reason for my switch as I don't mind regular office hours.

6) Engineers at smaller companies can often have the same type of autonomy as physicians. At my current job (small company) I get full control over design work and consulting work as long as my designs are within the contract amount.

7) If I was a better student in my early years I might have started out as a premed, but I never would have thought that I would be able to handle medical school as I had a very poor work ethic. I turned around my work ethic during my second year and I have really enjoyed school since then.

8) Salary had nothing to do with my career change (I should say attempted career change because I'm a long shot for an acceptance). Engineer's salaries don't even crack 6 figures until 10-15 years in the field so its not like I'm sacrificing a luxurious life to go to medical school. The way I look at it, my wife and I are going to be living very frugally for 4 years of medical school, live like we currently do during residency and then have fun after residence/loans are paid. To me it sort of balances out.

You're welcome. As for the switch, it has nothing to do with engineering and everything to do with medicine. I like engineering but to me, medicine is like engineering but with a purpose. Most engineers are working to make other people money. If I put in the extra time to make one of my designs more efficient, I'm only putting more money into the owners pocket. In medicine, extra time and effort can mean catching a rare diagnosis or being more thorough with patient visits. I get great job satisfaction from engineering but I also want to go home and I know I bettered someones life. Not a knock against engineering as I don't find anything wrong with going to work just for a paycheck.

As for your questions:

1) I do get social interaction but it's usually with other engineers and/or people who are interacting with me as part of their job. I do like how doctors get more time with people are in need of help as opposed to people who are just interacting with me as part of their job. This was a big part of the reason I am trying to switch. I really like working with regular people who just need help or advice.

2) The work is actually not boring at all. I work for a lightning protection contractor and I like getting to design lightning protection systems and diagnose electrical problems. Diagnosing electrical problems is the favorite part of my job. This helped me decide to make my switch because I am very interested in the diagnosing and problem solving aspects that doctors are involved in.

3) There are plenty of jobs in the field. It is not as stable a career as most people try to make it out to be but almost all of my classmates had jobs within a month of graduation making 60-80k. Doctors obviously have many more options and can pick up a job quicker than an engineer but this was not really a factor in my decision to switch.

4) Job security at my current job is great. I'm the only engineer at my company with a licence to do lightning protection design. As for other engineers, they get laid off just like every other job but that's not part of the reason for my switch.

5) Hours are basic 9-5. I do like how doctors (especially EM) are typically not working routine 9-5 jobs but this is not really a reason for my switch as I don't mind regular office hours.

6) Engineers at smaller companies can often have the same type of autonomy as physicians. At my current job (small company) I get full control over design work and consulting work as long as my designs are within the contract amount.

7) If I was a better student in my early years I might have started out as a premed, but I never would have thought that I would be able to handle medical school as I had a very poor work ethic. I turned around my work ethic during my second year and I have really enjoyed school since then.

8) Salary had nothing to do with my career change (I should say attempted career change because I'm a long shot for an acceptance). Engineer's salaries don't even crack 6 figures until 10-15 years in the field so its not like I'm sacrificing a luxurious life to go to medical school. The way I look at it, my wife and I are going to be living very frugally for 4 years of medical school, live like we currently do during residency and then have fun after residence/loans are paid. To me it sort of balances out.

If I were in your situation I get how the grass may seem greener or what not, but do definitely make sure to know if your wife is supportive of you going into the field, realize that with the changes in healthcare too a more cost efficient model more and more doctors are relatively unhappy with their careers so far. That is not to say it is that way for everyone. The time it takes to become a doctor in medical school is ridiculous and if you quit halfway or decided it wasn't worth it, you do realize how much loans that you have to borrow. I don't know the reasons for it, but I would stick with engineering. You don't get as much interaction, if you work at some hospitals its all about cost and efficiency seeing as much patients at you possibly can. You are stuck with a lot of paperwork and hassle, all in all just not worth it. You won't be thinking of helping patients and saving lives, medicine can slowly desensitize you too how you feel towards patients, there was a study on burn-out and what not. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but you actually have it really good now, so just be cognizant if this is indeed worth it. Electrical stuff and everything is fun, no need to kill yourself if you actually enjoy what you are doing now. If you take into the amount of time and stuff this is pretty much an all or nothing deal, and not everyone is happy cause the all is getting less and less.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem. Some people are liberated by knowing that there's someone else who faces a similar problem. I'm glad that my rather embarrassing disclosure has been helpful for someone else. Idk, I think I feel better when I'm simply away from them. Sometimes, people give off negative energy and it's bad to be around them. Furthermore, it typically hurts not helps when a parent is authoritarian because most likely that parent doesn't value your abilities and competence. Instead of bringing out those strengths, they may be stifled. My other two friends I had in college who I was really close with, I began to notice that they too had some confidence problems and both of them had problems with their parents. For example, my female friend had a mother who always treated her terribly. She complained to me one time that her mother never liked her. Now, she is like 26 or 27 and won't apply because she doesn't have the confidence to apply. She passes it off as "being bad" at applications. I don't know how that's possible. My male friend has some serious confidence problems. Imagine having a project to do for school and the professor critiques it once and the student is so turned off by the criticism that he doesn't complete it by the end of the semester. Furthermore, he is given more time by the professor to complete it after the semester. It's been a year and half since that semester ended and it still hasn't been done. And the professor is still welcoming him to get it done. Aside from that anecdote, I realize he has confidence problems frequently. Also, he told me how his mother used to be with him when he was younger. Whenever he would ask his mom for academic help, she would give him the answer and say "it's easy." It's funny because whenever I would tutor him and say something he didn't understand, he would say "Oh, that's easy" and come around later and ask me the same question. "That's easy" became a defense mechanism whenever someone knew something that he didn't. His dad wasn't around much in his childhood, but when I met him and stayed over there for like a couple weeks, his dad wasn't exactly the supportive type. He gave him a lot of BS when he was around.
And I have seen it in the opposite way, as well. I knew someone in high school who was such a jerk and had to point out every time someone was doing something wrong or stupid. He didn't seem to have any confidence problems even though he himself was made fun of in high school. One time, I heard him talk about a suicide victim and he called that person weak. He said no one should care about what others say and they should get their confidence from what their parents say. It should never matter what others say. So this makes me think that his parents were able to interact with him well and give him confidence.
All in all, this makes me think that people's confidence may be largely derived from their dealings with their parents. Idk the solution, but I will let you know how everything pans out when I eventually leave this place. I don't think I will stay another year. My dad is really getting to me. This post will be my personal diary as things in my life begin to take shape.

Yeah, I think that it has taken a toll on my confidence levels, the support of your parents does mean a lot even if you do try to deny it. My parents keep my on a short leash and have to know what I am doing all the time. I had a great time in college and made a lot of friends, but they have all become jaded with life and have avoided me, ever since coming back from college I was stuck in a very small apartment, shared by three tenants. I had no time to really study well or see any friends to be honest, and I get blamed for everything and am forced to deal with mother's tantrums every time. It really is wearing me out, I think I'm slowly losing it... I have nowhere to go and I live in really bad neighborhood, its really bad. I feel so miserable like choking, I know that if I was given more opportunity or a better location I could do so much, but its extremely hard especially where I live. I really tried to get a job or work somewhere, but the location is really bad and I don't know how to interview or who to go to seek help for. I tried a lot of different things, but I am not sure what to do next or what is my next course of action. I feel like I'm in the darkest place of my life. I don't know if its my problem, because I'm trying my best every day and keep getting shot down. I don't know I just wanted at least my parents to support me or say its ok, but its always my fault my problems. I don't know really, come from a low socioeconomic status and I don't know really what to do. All my other friends are already in medical school and they are by no means smarter than me or anything, I think its really boils down to the interview and I don't know what to do to improve myself for next year. I need help or anything, its been so isolating and so miserable.

If I were in your situation I get how the grass may seem greener or what not, but do definitely make sure to know if your wife is supportive of you going into the field, realize that with the changes in healthcare too a more cost efficient model more and more doctors are relatively unhappy with their careers so far. That is not to say it is that way for everyone. The time it takes to become a doctor in medical school is ridiculous and if you quit halfway or decided it wasn't worth it, you do realize how much loans that you have to borrow. I don't know the reasons for it, but I would stick with engineering. You don't get as much interaction, if you work at some hospitals its all about cost and efficiency seeing as much patients at you possibly can. You are stuck with a lot of paperwork and hassle, all in all just not worth it. You won't be thinking of helping patients and saving lives, medicine can slowly desensitize you too how you feel towards patients, there was a study on burn-out and what not. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but you actually have it really good now, so just be cognizant if this is indeed worth it. Electrical stuff and everything is fun, no need to kill yourself if you actually enjoy what you are doing now. If you take into the amount of time and stuff this is pretty much an all or nothing deal, and not everyone is happy cause the all is getting less and less.
I've been making the switch and going through all the processes for the past two years to apply for this cycle. I really enjoy my clinical volunteering and shadowing. There are many doctors where I volunteer that spend 30 seconds with their patients and go back to their desks and there are many doctors that go into patient's rooms and spend 15 minutes with them. Most of that 15 minutes is spend chit chatting with the patient on a personable level. It's little things like that that get me excited for medicine. I know doctors spend a large amount of their time doing meaningless tasks and dealing with administration but 50% of my current job is paperwork, meetings, talking with architects that throw a fit over the aesthetics of design, and dealing with high and mighty EORs. Whether I stay as an engineer or go on to become a physician, I'm going to devote a large amount of my time to areas that do not interest me. I do it right now and I still love my job.

Lol, if that's your plan I'm not going to stop you, but why stop at something if you love your job now? Its not going to get better for medicine, at least in terms of economics and stuff, but if you feel like its something you would enjoy and want to go through that endless work and suffering waking up at 3 am in a residency or something be my guest. I'm sharing my views now, not to discourage you but its prob gonna suck a lot more then from where you are at. If its the same either way in terms of devoting areas to stuff that don't interest you then just stay at where you are. Its going to be too late after your 200k or so in debt and decide its hella not worth it. But if you are at a good place in your life, go for it and really find it something you love don't let me stop you. Different things work for different people, I would stay with engineering, because people after a while get old. The shimmer dies for a lot of people, and it probably will for me, but I'm probably pessimistic not sure if I'm grounded or not. Its just really nice after getting back at 5 and seeing your kids/wife or having some down time for the day, often having a spouse who isn't supportive of your decision or so can make it even more difficult, medicine does not really solve your problems which is probably idiotface expects it will cause we probably both feel trapped or somewhat depressed, but at the end of day we probably need to make the most of it and see what we can do with our situations. The only real key to solving this is to control how you react to life, and how to improve I don't know what to do or what I need. But I need to take the necessary steps to get there. I honestly just want a quiet peaceful life, and have some downtime with friends and family work no matter what you do at the end of the day will get cyclical and that is just the nature of things.

Lol, if that's your plan I'm not going to stop you, but why stop at something if you love your job now? Its not going to get better for medicine, at least in terms of economics and stuff, but if you feel like its something you would enjoy and want to go through that endless work and suffering waking up at 3 am in a residency or something be my guest. I'm sharing my views now, not to discourage you but its prob gonna suck a lot more then from where you are at. If its the same either way in terms of devoting areas to stuff that don't interest you then just stay at where you are. Its going to be too late after your 200k or so in debt and decide its hella not worth it. But if you are at a good place in your life, go for it and really find it something you love don't let me stop you. Different things work for different people, I would stay with engineering, because people after a while get old. The shimmer dies for a lot of people, and it probably will for me, but I'm probably pessimistic not sure if I'm grounded or not. Its just really nice after getting back at 5 and seeing your kids/wife or having some down time for the day, often having a spouse who isn't supportive of your decision or so can make it even more difficult, medicine does not really solve your problems which is probably idiotface expects it will cause we probably both feel trapped or somewhat depressed, but at the end of day we probably need to make the most of it and see what we can do with our situations. The only real key to solving this is to control how you react to life, and how to improve I don't know what to do or what I need. But I need to take the necessary steps to get there. I honestly just want a quiet peaceful life, and have some downtime with friends and family work no matter what you do at the end of the day will get cyclical and that is just the nature of things.
I appreciate the advice but I've been set on this for a while. Every engineer I've talked to has said get out of engineering go into medicine. Every doctor I've talked to has said stay away from medicine and stick to engineering. I was a draftsman before I was an engineer and guess what, every draftsman told me to get out of drafting and become and engineer but every engineer told me to stay in drafting. I've enjoyed every job I've ever had whether it be retail jobs when I was in high school, drafting job while I was in engineering school or my current engineering job while in postbac. I think I'm about as prepared as anyone who is getting ready to apply.

Yeah, I think that it has taken a toll on my confidence levels, the support of your parents does mean a lot even if you do try to deny it. My parents keep my on a short leash and have to know what I am doing all the time. I had a great time in college and made a lot of friends, but they have all become jaded with life and have avoided me, ever since coming back from college I was stuck in a very small apartment, shared by three tenants. I had no time to really study well or see any friends to be honest, and I get blamed for everything and am forced to deal with mother's tantrums every time. It really is wearing me out, I think I'm slowly losing it... I have nowhere to go and I live in really bad neighborhood, its really bad. I feel so miserable like choking, I know that if I was given more opportunity or a better location I could do so much, but its extremely hard especially where I live. I really tried to get a job or work somewhere, but the location is really bad and I don't know how to interview or who to go to seek help for. I tried a lot of different things, but I am not sure what to do next or what is my next course of action. I feel like I'm in the darkest place of my life. I don't know if its my problem, because I'm trying my best every day and keep getting shot down. I don't know I just wanted at least my parents to support me or say its ok, but its always my fault my problems. I don't know really, come from a low socioeconomic status and I don't know really what to do. All my other friends are already in medical school and they are by no means smarter than me or anything, I think its really boils down to the interview and I don't know what to do to improve myself for next year. I need help or anything, its been so isolating and so miserable.
I see that your situation has some similarities to mine although I can't say that I live in a bad area. But yeah everything seems bleak and it feels like there may not be any way out. And yes getting into med school is not easy. When it comes to getting into med school, I think communication is key. Many states have public schools that go out of their way to help their resident applicants get into med school. It may be application counseling or post-decision feedback. I would recommend you try to get into contact with the admissions committee of your state school and tell them about your situation and ask how likely it is for you to get accepted into med school. You might want to prepare certain things ahead of time, such as your stats, resume, personal statement, or even a full AMCAS draft application for them to review. You might want to tell them some of the problems you have living and see how understanding they are. It could help a ton and if they are accommodating and helpful then you can keep them updated throughout application season. Hopefully, they will keep track of your application and give you an invite early in the season and you may have a competitive edge over others. I really recommend this because people have certain situations that impede them from success but it doesn't mean they should never have a chance to get the career they desire. Dont be afraid to ask adcoms for help.
Best wishes, I hope everything works out. Let me know if you have success with this. Thanks

As for your questions:

That's important that you know what you are getting into and that you like it. That probably means you will be a great clinician. As for the engineering, it doesn't sound amazing to me because I want to be able to set my own schedule and work whenever I want. I see this as a big advantage for medicine. Im not exactly a morning person and most clinics close early. I would like to be that one doctor who is working after 5 or 6 as well as on weekends so I can take people when they are off from work. Also, the laying off part I'm not a fan of either. That's another benefit of medicine. You can open your private practice and be your own boss. And there's no layoffs anyway of doctors. Theres high demand for doctors especially as the physician shortage problem grows in America. I just can't imagine not being a doctor mostly because I dont know what else I would do. I mean I like physics but Im not that good at it. It's more like a hobby. That's not to say medicine is the least of many evils, but rather there are many pros and cons to all careers. And medicine has a high pro/con ratio. I guess what Im trying to say is that it's not my calling, but I still like it and am excited by certain parts of it. Also, what kind of stuff do you have to do. Do you have to know how to do complex circuit analysis. Do you have to know Maxwells equations? It seems very hands-on, procedural, and algorithmic the way you describe it rather than innovative and conceptual. And that's not what I had in mind for engineers. I think of engineers as freaking geniuses that have to do quantitative and physics problems in accordance with their vision for the building, bridge, or structure they are designing. Sort of like a movie director that instead of telling actors, cameramen, and set designers what to do, they manipulate variables and apply equations to procure their vision.

That's important that you know what you are getting into and that you like it. That probably means you will be a great clinician. As for the engineering, it doesn't sound amazing to me because I want to be able to set my own schedule and work whenever I want. I see this as a big advantage for medicine. Im not exactly a morning person and most clinics close early. I would like to be that one doctor who is working after 5 or 6 as well as on weekends so I can take people when they are off from work. Also, the laying off part I'm not a fan of either. That's another benefit of medicine. You can open your private practice and be your own boss. And there's no layoffs anyway of doctors. Theres high demand for doctors especially as the physician shortage problem grows in America. I just can't imagine not being a doctor mostly because I dont know what else I would do. I mean I like physics but Im not that good at it. It's more like a hobby. That's not to say medicine is the least of many evils, but rather there are many pros and cons to all careers. And medicine has a high pro/con ratio. I guess what Im trying to say is that it's not my calling, but I still like it and am excited by certain parts of it. Also, what kind of stuff do you have to do. Do you have to know how to do complex circuit analysis. Do you have to know Maxwells equations? It seems very hands-on, procedural, and algorithmic the way you describe it rather than innovative and conceptual. And that's not what I had in mind for engineers. I think of engineers as freaking geniuses that have to do quantitative and physics problems in accordance with their vision for the building, bridge, or structure they are designing. Sort of like a movie director that instead of telling actors, cameramen, and set designers what to do, they manipulate variables and apply equations to procure their vision.
Engineering students at MIT are geniuses. Engineering students at your average engineering school (like mine) are just as lazy, if not lazier than your average science majors. Maxwell Equations? Forgot about those years ago. Complex electric circuit analysis? I'll relearn that if I work at a job that requires it. Engineering is just like premed. 80% of the stuff you learn, you forget about after the final. Whatever you need to know later on you brush up on.

What kind of medicine are you looking to get into? I imagine you would like the EM hours as the bulk of shifts start between 10am-5pm.

Yeah definitely a hustle...everything sucks, but at least you get time off and can eat at mcdonalds or go to the park/video games, instead of being chained to desk. I feel like most people who want to go into medicine haven't even taken the time to explore other options, but I know I have and probably would be happier in another field or so. Thanks for yall help tho, legitimately drained out by now though.

Engineering students at MIT are geniuses. Engineering students at your average engineering school (like mine) are just as lazy, if not lazier than your average science majors. Maxwell Equations? Forgot about those years ago. Complex electric circuit analysis? I'll relearn that if I work at a job that requires it. Engineering is just like premed. 80% of the stuff you learn, you forget about after the final. Whatever you need to know later on you brush up on.

What kind of medicine are you looking to get into? I imagine you would like the EM hours as the bulk of shifts start between 10am-5pm.
Idk yet, does is matter? I could open up a practice and stay open till 10-11pm and be open weekends regardless of specialty, right?

Yeah definitely a hustle...everything sucks, but at least you get time off and can eat at mcdonalds or go to the park/video games, instead of being chained to desk. I feel like most people who want to go into medicine haven't even taken the time to explore other options, but I know I have and probably would be happier in another field or so. Thanks for yall help tho, legitimately drained out by now though.
Okay, I was just trying to give you options.

Just got feedback from the second interview I was rejected from (the one I fell ill at). Was able to get no specifics. Neither regarding the interview nor my application. Extremely vague. She said the MMI boils down to communication and content. My communication was expected to be poor since I was ill. Also, my content was "a little bit off." She said I didn't say anything wrong, but I may have not elaborated enough. That seems weird because I used the full time allotted for each station. Also, it may be because I didn't talk about what I was thinking and how I was thinking to get to the conclusion that I reached. Regarding my application, I asked about a few things. She said I may want to get more clinical, but that I had enough to understand the profession. I asked about the writing style of my experiences and personal statement and she told me not to apply without changing the personal statement and adding some experiences. She didn't comment on my writing style. I asked about my secondary and she said it was good. Not specific and thus I don't exactly know what I did wrong.
Also, I have an interview for a med scribe position today so wish me luck!
Lastly, I got waitlisted at the school I thought I had my best interview at. Looking at the forums, many people do end up getting off the waitlist. There's massive movement on the deadline for people to hold one acceptance. Should I call them for feedback or should I wait until a final decision has been made? I think I should call at some point just to show continued interest.

If you're on the waitlist, I'd suggest waiting until you get a firm rejection for feedback. Why have them look over your app again looking specifically for the negatives while you're still in the running? Good job though, a waitlist keeps your chances of matriculation in 2017 alive. Sorry to hear about your experience with feedback from the school that rejected you, sounds like they mostly just gave you the usual cop-out lip service. Looking back on this thread, multiple people have noted that you come across as rambling in some of your responses. Any chance she was alluding to that when she said the "MMI is about communication" bit? Do you talk the same way you write?

So that's 3/5 accounted for, two rejections and a waitlist, what's going on with the other 2 schools?

Just got feedback from the second interview I was rejected from (the one I fell ill at). Was able to get no specifics. Neither regarding the interview nor my application. Extremely vague. She said the MMI boils down to communication and content. My communication was expected to be poor since I was ill. Also, my content was "a little bit off." She said I didn't say anything wrong, but I may have not elaborated enough. That seems weird because I used the full time allotted for each station. Also, it may be because I didn't talk about what I was thinking and how I was thinking to get to the conclusion that I reached. Regarding my application, I asked about a few things. She said I may want to get more clinical, but that I had enough to understand the profession. I asked about the writing style of my experiences and personal statement and she told me not to apply without changing the personal statement and adding some experiences. She didn't comment on my writing style. I asked about my secondary and she said it was good. Not specific and thus I don't exactly know what I did wrong.
Also, I have an interview for a med scribe position today so wish me luck!
Lastly, I got waitlisted at the school I thought I had my best interview at. Looking at the forums, many people do end up getting off the waitlist. There's massive movement on the deadline for people to hold one acceptance. Should I call them for feedback or should I wait until a final decision has been made? I think I should call at some point just to show continued interest.
Good luck! There should be significant movement around april, may because of the one acceptance policy. Maybe the interviewers mistook any signs of fatigue from your illness as a lack of enthusiasm for the college? IDK.

If you're on the waitlist, I'd suggest waiting until you get a firm rejection for feedback. Why have them look over your app again looking specifically for the negatives while you're still in the running? Good job though, a waitlist keeps your chances of matriculation in 2017 alive. Sorry to hear about your experience with feedback from the school that rejected you, sounds like they mostly just gave you the usual cop-out lip service. Looking back on this thread, multiple people have noted that you come across as rambling in some of your responses. Any chance she was alluding to that when she said the "MMI is about communication" bit? Do you talk the same way you write?

So that's 3/5 accounted for, two rejections and a waitlist, what's going on with the other 2 schools?
I hope not lol, I had an interview today and I don't think I rambled yet I wasn't concise either. I tried to keep my words purposeful by relating them to the overall point that I was trying to make, and finish off by reiterating that overall point. During my med school interview, I don't believe I was rambling simply because you absolutely must articulate developed thoughts that convey how you reach your conclusion. While it is about communication, she said my problem was the content. The MMI is tasked with gauging applicants' thoughtfulness and approach to situations, rather than the conclusion. Under this context, it appears difficult to ramble because you are supposed to develop your thoughts. Furthermore, I was done by the end of the allotted time and at the same time I don't feel like the finishing bell interrupted me, either. I thought I talked for an appropriate amount of time while also developing my thoughts- at least that's wanted it seemed like to me. Then again, I am the one talking and not hearing myself so who knows. They are purposeful words to me, but maybe not to someone else.
I haven't heard back from the other two. One will send a letter instead of sending an e-mail, I believe. That's the one I'm not confident in. Anyway, this school pretty much waitlists all late interviewees according to a fellow interviewee who does his research on schools. This fellow interviewee was a piece of work, man. He talked a lot non-stop lol and tried to talk trash when I was playing the surgical games in the surgical education center. Then, it was his turn and he couldn't do it either and I wanted to say a little something back to him but I restrained myself. Btw, those surgical games are impossible I dont know how the med students complete them. The other one is a state school so I believe that I have a chance. They have a freaking game room! I could be taking my breaks playing 2k or battlefield or COD. Or even playing billiards cuz they have tables. See, that's the med school for me! Here, you don't get an e-mail, you get a call.

Good luck! There should be significant movement around april, may because of the one acceptance policy. Maybe the interviewers mistook any signs of fatigue from your illness as a lack of enthusiasm for the college? IDK.
Thanks! Yes, I will call and inquire where I am on the waitlist. Hopefully, I am on the higher tier. I think the interviewers were wary of my situation as some of them talked about it during the interview or I told them. For example, one interviewer said "You are sick so I won't shake your hand."

Middle third of the waitlist, so basically a polite rejection

You've got a weird undergrad premed office, dude. Nothing you can do about that though. If you're looking to adapt LordLana's method of preparation, I've attached a list of questions that a friend and I put together over the course of our undergrad of all the interview questions from any position we ever applied to, including med schools. Could serve as a starting point. Best of luck for the next one!
You mind pm'ing the list?

I think the problem mainly is the mindset, people that do well are the paranoid and insecure, but the problem with interview is the area of confidence and soft skills, which is probably not the same ap
Not at all. But I need you to change your profile settings to accept new conversations.
ok thanks dude.

So I heard back from the other two schools. One rejection and one waitlist. So I have two schools left both OOS. Both schools that are excellent, as well. But none in state, which kind of is really inconvenient. I dont think I will make it out this cycle alive. Already considering a third cycle...

Good luck bro. All it takes is one.

So I heard back from the other two schools. One rejection and one waitlist. So I have two schools left both OOS. Both schools that are excellent, as well. But none in state, which kind of is really inconvenient. I dont think I will make it out this cycle alive. Already considering a third cycle...

Two waitlists? Or pending decisions? What's your status right now with regards to waitlists and pending?

Good luck bro. All it takes is one.
Thanks, but I doubt I will get in. I don't know what I am going to do. I was depending on an in state waitlist or acceptance, but two rejections from my state schools. One criticism I have received from the dean is my CARS score is a concern and another is that I could have done more extracurrics. I guess 100 volunteering hours just doesn't cut it anymore. I am on pace to get 400 hours by the time I apply again (if I apply again). Add onto that 50 hours of biology research, which isn't much but I might as well put it on my app.

Two waitlists? Or pending decisions? What's your status right now with regards to waitlists and pending?
No more pending decisions. Just two WL's from OOS schools, which ironically were the two best programs I interviewed at. And three rejections- two from state schools.

Good luck on hearing back! Was your CARS lower than 125 or significantly lower than the other scores. That's odd.

No more pending decisions. Just two WL's from OOS schools, which ironically were the two best programs I interviewed at. And three rejections- two from state schools.

So now comes the wait. In the meantime however, I think its clear now that the limiting factor in your application is your interview. After all, you got more interviews than most applicants get. That means a whole bunch of schools liked you on paper. And I think it's also fair to consider that your difficulties with the interviews are probably tied to your struggles with your mental health. These struggles aren't gonna go away by themselves regardless of what the outcome is with those two waitlists. They are not caused purely by academics. They will either haunt you when it comes to networking/residency applications/building relationships in med school, or they'll bite you again in a second app cycle. Reapplicants are told to shore up their weaknesses. This is yours. You want to start med school or AMCAS round 2 on the best footing. Now is the right time, it's in the best interest of your career to try some serious, dedicated counseling/therapy for a few months without quitting. Please please give it a shot. It could pay off tremendously come this fall.

Forgive me, as I'm just glancing over this thread and may not have read all the details. But to the OP - it seems you may have issues with anxiety that is hindering you during interviews. Are you on any medication? There are lots of safe meds out there (SSRIs, etc.) and no shame in taking them if indicated. You'd be surprised how many people (medical students/residents/attendings included) are on them. It may help you appear more relaxed and comfortable during the interview phase.

Good luck on hearing back! Was your CARS lower than 125 or significantly lower than the other scores. That's odd.
131/125/128/130
More like a typical mcat score from a science major lol... what do you expect, mr. dean of admissions- oops, i mean dr. dean of admissions

So now comes the wait. In the meantime however, I think its clear now that the limiting factor in your application is your interview. After all, you got more interviews than most applicants get. That means a whole bunch of schools liked you on paper. And I think it's also fair to consider that your difficulties with the interviews are probably tied to your struggles with your mental health. These struggles aren't gonna go away by themselves regardless of what the outcome is with those two waitlists. They are not caused purely by academics. They will either haunt you when it comes to networking/residency applications/building relationships in med school, or they'll bite you again in a second app cycle. Reapplicants are told to shore up their weaknesses. This is yours. You want to start med school or AMCAS round 2 on the best footing. Now is the right time, it's in the best interest of your career to try some serious, dedicated counseling/therapy for a few months without quitting. Please please give it a shot. It could pay off tremendously come this fall.
I don't think that is fair reasoning, since the average applicant does not get in. I'd rather know about the average matriculant than the average applicant. Also, it should be noted that they were ALL late interviews- which is an important point. I think the interview is a factor, but so are my EC's- I imagine. During school, I always thought my EC's would be my strong suit because I always felt busy. Yet, I did not commit to volunteering and my reasoning for that was that I did not consider it to be an intensive activity like tutoring, research, or class. I always told myself I would not regret that decision since I always imagined I would go back and do volunteering whenever I felt I had to. I need not be a university student to do so. With a prospective third cycle in view, I am starting to regret it, however. And yes, it would be a third cycle- not second. That's why this post is in the reapplicant forum. Like I said, I will give counseling a shot if I continue to have problems when I am away from home. I typically feel a lot better about myself when I am away from home and I doubt it's just a coincidence.
A little background, I applied earlier with a 30 and no clinical volunteering. 0/14 on MD apps and 1/1 on DO interviews. After my DO interview, I was waitlisted and later withdrew.
I really don't know how I will do a third cycle. I dont know what im gonna do for my letters, the costly fees, and having to stay home another year. It's going to be difficult to get good letters of rec. I volunteer with guest services- not clinicians or professors. Idk if my dad is going to support the fees for another cycle because he loves his savings the way it is. And as far as I understand, my dad does not want me to apply another time because he thinks the applications never end and I will never get in. I'm really in a precarious position. Why do I see a future in which I work as a cashier trying to talk about the Casimir effect or how cool the claustrum is with my colleagues while they all stare at me bewildered? I think im destined to die in med school purgatory- a quite appropriate death.

Forgive me, as I'm just glancing over this thread and may not have read all the details. But to the OP - it seems you may have issues with anxiety that is hindering you during interviews. Are you on any medication? There are lots of safe meds out there (SSRIs, etc.) and no shame in taking them if indicated. You'd be surprised how many people (medical students/residents/attendings included) are on them. It may help you appear more relaxed and comfortable during the interview phase.
My medication is being and sleeping by myself. That's why I felt so good in the interview I rented a motel at. I answered everything perfectly, I smiled, I connected with my interviewers, and I felt no anxiety whatsoever. I didn't feel like my usual self, I felt like I died and reincarnated into a different person. I even woke up EARLY! Like 6am instead of the usual 10 or 11am like the usual bum that I am. I felt at peace- no worries and someone who just felt happy by simply living. An irreplaceable feeling which I would do anything to perpetuate. But since my rejection from my state school, I am dead inside. I doubt if my parents will ever realize how terrible I feel every day. My dad is unbelievably deluded- almost detached from reality. I doubt he realizes, but my mom probably understands.

btw in my last reply post to you, that attitude wasnt directed towards you- it was directed towards the dean of admissions that told me that

btw in my last reply post to you, that attitude wasnt directed towards you- it was directed towards the dean of admissions that told me that
lol, yea, don't worry about it! Do you think it would be worth it to take a year off and work in a clinical/healthcare position? EMT training, for example, is less than a couple thousand dollars, and pay isn't great, but it's a job that will keep you heavily involved in healthcare, boost your confidence in talking to people, and may give you an great experience to talk about in a PS. You could also get a letter of rec from a fire chief or equivalent.

These are just suggestions.

Hey again!
Two waitlists are still a good thing. DO NOT give up hope until they literally tell you no.

lol, yea, don't worry about it! Do you think it would be worth it to take a year off and work in a clinical/healthcare position? EMT training, for example, is less than a couple thousand dollars, and pay isn't great, but it's a job that will keep you heavily involved in healthcare, boost your confidence in talking to people, and may give you an great experience to talk about in a PS. You could also get a letter of rec from a fire chief or equivalent.

These are just suggestions.
What did you do during the application cycle this year?

So far this year:
125 hours of paid employment
48 hours of biology research
118 hours of hospital volunteering (218 in total)
With more to come, I expect more volunteering. I think I can get to a total of 300-400 by next cycle.
Thus, I will have volunteering, tutoring, bio research, physics research, vice pres of club, health insurance enrollment assisting, shadowing, essay contest win, scholarship, bio honors society membership, undergraduate bio department award for highest ETS field test score among senior class, paid employment, and humanitarian effort to raise money for Haitian school along with my 514 and 3.75 gpa, some letters (clinicians and professors), and my personal statement which I worked on for a billion years that I suppose I will have to revise or else I would be a fool. Furthermore, I am contemplating retaking the freakin mcat, unfortunately because of my stupid 125 on cars. What I want to do is do some verbal practice and see what my practice scores are like to appraise my prospects of scoring higher. I should probably also consider some non clinical volunteering as well as recreational activities.
Now as for EMT as you suggested, that money you said a thousand dollars for training I fear is not available at the moment. I didnt know they were paid and I thought it was volunteering. How long would it take for the wages to match the training expenses? Funny you say that I was talking to a fire man volunteer today who I was transporting throughout the hospital. It was hard for me to engage with him or anyone else because I still have residual depression from my recent rejection.

Hey again!
Two waitlists are still a good thing. DO NOT give up hope until they literally tell you no.
Hey, okay I will try not to give up hope. But at the same time, I really think I should be looking towards a plan B- any plan B. I don't want to fool myself trying to keep hope up and find out later that I have nothing. Did you get accepted from any waitlists?

So far this year:
125 hours of paid employment
48 hours of biology research
118 hours of hospital volunteering (218 in total)
With more to come, I expect more volunteering. I think I can get to a total of 300-400 by next cycle.
Thus, I will have volunteering, tutoring, bio research, physics research, vice pres of club, health insurance enrollment assisting, shadowing, essay contest win, scholarship, bio honors society membership, undergraduate bio department award for highest ETS field test score among senior class, paid employment, and humanitarian effort to raise money for Haitian school along with my 514 and 3.75 gpa, some letters (clinicians and professors), and my personal statement which I worked on for a billion years that I suppose I will have to revise or else I would be a fool. Furthermore, I am contemplating retaking the freakin mcat, unfortunately because of my stupid 125 on cars. What I want to do is do some verbal practice and see what my practice scores are like to appraise my prospects of scoring higher. I should probably also consider some non clinical volunteering as well as recreational activities.
Now as for EMT as you suggested, that money you said a thousand dollars for training I fear is not available at the moment. I didnt know they were paid and I thought it was volunteering. How long would it take for the wages to match the training expenses? Funny you say that I was talking to a fire man volunteer today who I was transporting throughout the hospital. It was hard for me to engage with him or anyone else because I still have residual depression from my recent rejection.

OK, but application fees would be over a thousand anyway. EMT's get paid 13-15 dollars an hour? I think? But the shifts are long (12 hour shifts for some), so I don't think it would work because you are involved in research too.

Definitely consider non-clinical volunteering. One of my recommendations was from a supervisor of a tutoring/creative-writing program that worked with K-12 kids. Helping those kids sometimes didn't even feel like work; we just talked and joked around while getting homework done. It was incredibly relaxing to talk with children about subjects other than pre-med and medical school with my peers. Interacting with students from different backgrounds and neighborhoods also gives you some perspective.

I know it just seems like additional chores to jump through hoop after hoop to build your resume for a third time to a career that you think seems to hate you. You have a broad range of achievements and experiences. I think you will get into an MD school eventually. Don't think your experiences are for naught. You'll do well in whatever field you choose.

Sorry if what I'm saying isn't really helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.