Holding off paying interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pneum0nitis1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on entering REPAYE after graduation and having the monthly payments be $0 for the first year. I've been told that it may not be a bad idea to hold off on paying the monthly interest every month and put the money that I would use to pay off my portion of the interest (after the subsidy) into a savings account to let it grow, since there's no interest on interest. My question is when would be the best time to pay down the accumulated interest? I know that it should be paid down if I switch out of REPAYE so that the interest doesn't get added to the principal, but is there a point where it would be beneficial to pay the interest even before switching payment plans or is that point just when my monthly payments become higher than the monthly interest accrual?

Members don't see this ad.

Accrued interest does not capitalize while in REPAYE. Accrued interest capitalizes if, and when, you leave REPAYE. So, pay down the accrued interest just before you leave REPAYE to enter a non-IDR repayment option. In the interim, save that money in an interest bearing account such as Ally Bank.