Holding a job as pre-med?

SnowInVenice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents are really pressuring me to get a job while I am in college, but I know that being pre-med takes a lot of dedication to academics and volunteering. Does anyone know if it is okay to hold a job?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is necessarily stopping you from getting a job. That being said a typical schedule for a typical biology major for the first two years involves essentially 2 lab courses a week ( 4-5 hours each) and ~12 hours of lecture. So scheduling a job in that will require fitting into that schedule. For many students a ~20 hour part time job when added into the mix on top of studying for tests, quizzes, or in general preparing it'll likely end up being challenging but possible if you don't tire out easily.

I would however say that starting college and having a job the first semester is not something I can recommend. You need to understand how to survive college before you start adding in more work.

Reactions: 1 users
My parents are really pressuring me to get a job while I am in college, but I know that being pre-med takes a lot of dedication to academics and volunteering. Does anyone know if it is okay to hold a job?
Yes of course, holding a job would be wonderful. GPA comes first. Focus on GPA, volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, research, leadership, shadowing, and hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can do it. Just dont plan on socializing much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I wouldn't hold a job yet. I would make sure your GPA is right on target. 3.75+ for the first 2 years. After that, I think it would be appropriate. GPA is much more important than anything. Starting off strong will help you in the future.

But you could get a job if you want. My friend had a job his freshman year, and ended up getting a 2.3. I didn't have a job, and ended up getting a 3.84. It's about how you manage your time.

I would highly suggest getting a healthcare-related job after your first or second semester of college if your grades are decent.It looks a little better than just volunteering when you apply.

I got my "CNA" over the summer and got a job in the emergency department at a local hospital as a tech. A lot of my friends became scribes. I focused on school during the week and went to work once a week on a Saturday (the shifts are typically around 12 hours).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would highly suggest getting a healthcare-related job after your first or second semester of college if your grades are decent.It looks a little better than just volunteering when you apply.

I got my "CNA" over the summer and got a job in the emergency department at a local hospital as a tech. A lot of my friends became scribes. I focused on school during the week and went to work once a week on a Saturday (the shifts are typically around 12 hours).

I disagree with

I disagree with

I think volunteering is just as important. What I am saying is that when you volunteer AND work in the healthcare field, it looks even better than JUST volunteering.

I have heard that directly from an admissions interview presentation at a medical school.

I think volunteering is just as important. What I am saying is that when you volunteer AND work in the healthcare field, it looks even better than JUST volunteering.

I have heard that directly from an admissions interview presentation at a medical school.

I would rather work for free/volunteer to show my true dedication towards medicine, and healthcare rather than working for money.

I could work if I want, but I decide I will show my true altruism.

I would rather work for free/volunteer to show my true dedication towards medicine, and healthcare rather than working for money.

Well the only issue for me is that I had to support myself in college. I would of rather had a job in medicine than work at a fast food place for money. Additionally, a lot of times when you volunteer, you can't actually touch the patient without a CNA certification or something similar.

I have volunteered and worked at a hospital. When I work at the hospital, I do CPR, draw blood, do EKGs, etc. When I volunteered, I just got to clean hospital beds. So whatever floats your boat! There is more than one way to get into medical school;)

Well the only issue for me is that I had to support myself in college. I would of rather had a job in medicine than work at a fast food place for money. Additionally, a lot of times when you volunteer, you can't actually touch the patient without a CNA certification or something similar.

I have volunteered and worked at a hospital. When I work at the hospital, I do CPR, draw blood, do EKGs, etc. When I volunteered, I just got to clean hospital beds. So whatever floats your boat! There is more than one way to get into medical school;)

If you have to work then go for it. That's a different story.

You are in your second year of undergrad IIRC, JB has been accepted to medical school. His opinion probably holds a bit more weight than yours.

While volunteering is important, holding down a job looks good on an application. Having residency be the first job you have ever held is not a good thing.

OP start volunteering. Shoot for 500+ hours, research, leadership positions, great MCAT, shadowing, and a plethora of non-clinical volunteering.

Then find a job. But the job should be on the bottom of the bucket list, unless you need one.

Competition is fierce. Everyone and their mother is doing pre-med because "MONEY AND GURLZ DUH!"

So knock those kids out of the race, and show them who is boss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to kill two birds with one stone. I worked in a research lab for 3 years of undergrad. It was great because I could get out of class then walk straight to the research building that was 50 yards away. In addition to this, most PIs understand academics comes first and taking a day or two off is no big deal, you wont get away with that at McDonalds.

As stated above, start volunteering.

You are in your second year of undergrad IIRC, JB has been accepted to medical school. His opinion probably holds a bit more weight than yours.

While volunteering is important, holding down a job looks good on an application. Having residency be the first job you have ever held is not a good thing.
Why are you viewing my threads?

Just curious.

Having a job builds character. Go build some character.

oh yeah, and not being broke in college is nice too :).

I worked 24 to 36 hours per week during college as a paramedic, get a job it builds character. Choose one that will let you build meaningful connections. The connections you make will be way more valuable than the money you earn.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm graduating next month and in my four years at college I don't think I have met a single pre-med or pre-PA person that didn't work a part-time job at some point in college. It's definitely do-able and I'd really encourage it. You earn a little pocket money and gain self-discipline and time management skills.

I work full-time in an emergency department and I'm taking a full course load at school as well (organic chem and a years worth of gen. bio in one semester.. next semester i have organic, genetics, physics, stats, and bio lab). very doable :)

I worked two part-time jobs and volunteered and am going straight in. It's totally doable

I am in my 30's now and I have five regrets in my life up till now. Working 22 hours a week during my first two years of undergrad is #2.

Take that for what it's worth.

Want to throw this out there...

My #1 best decision so far was becoming a paramedic before college. If you go to school to actually *do* something of value before college, it hugely increases your standard of living during college if you're on your own financially.

It's like oh, I want to climb in Patagonia this winter, cool I got the $$$ for that! Or hey this hottie wants to go skiing in Breck, I'm down. Having a job & esp a 'high paying one' is awesome -- lets you live better & have an actual resume when you're applying.

If you do what you love, it doesn't even feel like work

I work full-time in an emergency department and I'm taking a full course load at school as well (organic chem and a years worth of gen. bio in one semester.. next semester i have organic, genetics, physics, stats, and bio lab). very doable :)

What's your job in the ED?

I'm an ED Technician

I'm an ED tech too! Honestly, it was one of the best things I could have done in my undergrad. I connected so many things I learned in school to things I saw at work. Also, it gave me a leg up on my application. I could talk confidently about current healthcare issues in my interview.

You can do that, but you're shooting yourself in the foot. I'd argue people with healthcare jobs that also volunteer are not only more dedicated, they also have skills people can't get by volunteering. As for altruism, people in the military, Peace Corps and AmeriCorps show it more than a hospital volunteer, and they still get paid.

OP don't listen to this guy's post I quoted. It's a naive pre-med mentality that's false. It's ok and even desirable to work a job if you can handle it. Work hard your first semester or even year of college. If that goes well, try a little volunteering, and if that goes well try for a job if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You can do that, but you're shooting yourself in the foot. I'd argue people with healthcare jobs that also volunteer are not only more dedicated, they also have skills people can't get by volunteering. As for altruism, people in the military, Peace Corps and AmeriCorps show it more than a hospital volunteer, and they still get paid.

OP don't listen to this guy's post I quoted. It's a naive pre-med mentality that's false. It's ok and even desirable to work a job if you can handle it. Work hard your first semester or even year of college. If that goes well, try a little volunteering, and if that goes well try for a job if you want.

Lol yeah... some of us gotta be able to eat over here ;). And showing that you can not only support yourself, but are doing it through medicine IMO is a big deal for a college kid to show his/her dedication to the field.

If you can do that for a few years still loving medicine... means it really might just be for you

It can be done. I just graduated college summa cum laude and I held an on-campus job (10 hrs a week) while doing my pre-med courses and other science/non-science courses. That being said, you do have to put in the work and it won't come easy. If you're really worried, try to get an on-campus tutoring job like I did (I worked at the writing center and the pay was great for an on-campus job). That way, you can reinforce those academics and still have time to volunteer or shadow on the weekends or during breaks. Time management is key. You eventually find ways to make it all work out. That being said, if it becomes too much, back off of some things do that you can focus more on academics. Gradually build-up your workload. For instance, I started my first on-campus job second semester of first year.

OP, I did @letsdothis94 's idea for my first 2 years and it went well, and then for the next two years I found an on campus job that only required minimum effort and a ton of free time (like a gym attendant, computer lab attendant, someone who swipes ppl in and out of places). Look for opportunities like those because you can make money essentially to do a mindless task and then study.

Have you ever worked a part-time job before? Are you used to the hours and managing them with your schoolwork? :)

As anecdotal evidence that it's manageable, my brother worked part-time all four years + the summers, graduated with a 3.7+ GPA and got into masters program. If you really want it then it will be possible.

I do think it's good to get a part-time job, pre-med or not. I think what is more important is if you should get a job in first year. The teaching methods in university are apparently very different from high-school, and many students see that reflected in their grades, so I think it would be ideal if you can first figure out if and how much you can actually work without it affecting your grades. Good luck! :)

Last edited: