Hiring Ophthalmic Technicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poojerrr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a site to pool from for good ophthalmic technicians.

My brother is an ophthalmologist in the Dallas, TX area. We've kind of had a run of a few not so great technicians and with the practice growing, it's been hindering the growth.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there was a site to pool from for good ophthalmic technicians.

My brother is an ophthalmologist in the Dallas, TX area. We've kind of had a run of a few not so great technicians and with the practice growing, it's been hindering the growth.
This is a real issue in our practice. We focus on in house training and have found that those interested in the medical field have a knack for picking things up pretty quickly. Our senior techs do more of the higher level work up but the less experienced ones are good at lower level/routine work ups. It seems to work but there is always a shortage and good help is hard to find

Speaking as a current ophthalmic technician getting ready to enter medical school-
If you can handle slightly irregular availability, premeds from a local university can be great assets. They are willing to work for less pay since they are in college and they can be fantastic workers. The fact that they want letters of recommendation makes them more likely to work harder and try to do more in the office. Many of them have a good background in anatomy and medical terminology and are easily cross trained as scribes.

The main problems, as you can probably guess, is scheduling around classes and summertime hours.

Speaking as a current ophthalmic technician getting ready to enter medical school-
If you can handle slightly irregular availability, premeds from a local university can be great assets. They are willing to work for less pay since they are in college and they can be fantastic workers. The fact that they want letters of recommendation makes them more likely to work harder and try to do more in the office. Many of them have a good background in anatomy and medical terminology and are easily cross trained as scribes.

The main problems, as you can probably guess, is scheduling around classes and summertime hours.

Yeah that's what I told my brother! I'm actually one of his current techs, but I'm headed to optometry school in the fall. The issue is with his practice being relatively young and with the two current full-time techs, adding someone part-time with the intellectual capacity to push this practice to a new level would eat his overhead... We hired this new tech in the hopes that she'd be as efficient and effective as I am because she said she had 6 years experience in the field and has aspirations to become an optometrist one day, but alas she was a dud*.

*She's not awful but she's someone who has to make a mistake almost 7 times to get it right from then on.