Hip injection in replaced hip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmer

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is there to gain by injecting steroid into a hip joint in a patient who has had bilateral hip replacements? I have an orthopedic surgeon referring a patient to me for this. I can understand doing iliopsoas tendon or bursa injection but fail to see the utility in an actual intra-articular steroid injection.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are spot on. If those don't look promising, a femoral/obturator block and RFA may be worthwhile to consider.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are spot on. If those don't look promising, a femoral/obturator block and RFA may be worthwhile to consider.
There is an orthopedist I work with who does intra-articular knee injections in people who are status post TKA...
Maybe I am missing something...but makes no sense at all to me

We called his office to clarify. Steroid doesn't fix metal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'd be worried about infection and seeding prosthetic. Has anyone seen a septic prosthesis? I remember hearing this in residency, never seen though.

I get referrals for aspirations sp THA but never for ia steroid. I don't think I'd do it if requested.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I'd be worried about infection and seeding prosthetic. Has anyone seen a septic prosthesis? I remember hearing this in residency, never seen though.

Agree. Once a surgeon has replaced a joint, he owns it. If he wants a joint injection he can do it himself, I won't do it.

I will evaluate and treat patient for other painful structures like psoas bursitis, and do joint RFA, but no intra-articular injections

Do NOT inject into the THA joint. I have seen someone else do this and it became infected. Huge surgical PIA. Even if ortho ordered it, they will point a finger at you. Just say no.

Never have done an iliopsoas bursa injection. Looks like just extrarticulaf at 12:00 on the acetab. Is that correct guys? Same location as with the femoral nerve block?

Iliopsoas bursa for anterior pain (US guided of course), gluteal tendon injections if the pain is lateral, and gluteus/piriformis m. if pain is posterior.

Nope. MAYBE an iliopsoas bursa without steroid, but the surgeon has to ask...NICELY!

Agree this is an injection I wouldn't do unless your convinced it will help and you respect the surgeon. That said, I've seen life changing relief on a few patients after THA with these.

Never have done an iliopsoas bursa injection. Looks like just extrarticulaf at 12:00 on the acetab. Is that correct guys? Same location as with the femoral nerve block?
I think it's a little medial to 1200 on the acetabulum. At least that's where I've done it and I always got a nice linear spread outlining the iliopsoas

iliopsoas bursa.jpg

Last edited:
Sort of related question. How about a hip with heterotopic ossification but not in a total hip replacement? I have a paraplegic patient with a painful stiff hip, he had gun shot wounds to the hip and spine with a spinal cord injury and heterotopic ossification in the hip. I was thinking to try a steroid IA hip joint injection but I am concerned that could make the HO worse.

Sort of related question. How about a hip with heterotopic ossification but not in a total hip replacement? I have a paraplegic patient with a painful stiff hip, he had gun shot wounds to the hip and spine with a spinal cord injury and heterotopic ossification in the hip. I was thinking to try a steroid IA hip joint injection but I am concerned that could make the HO worse.
HO is usually outside the joint. Why would a steroid injection into the joint help? Not gonna do anything