High School Questions/Concerns

lockness

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in 8th grade. Grades 3-6 I pretty much failed school. I didn't try, I saw no meaning in living and was extremely depressed. I had no self confidence and believed I wasn't smart enough, so I didn't even try. 7th grade I started doing a bit better, but this year I am doing much, much better (except for P.E. that class sucks). I currently have a 101 in science and a 93 in math.

However, I'm not happy with where I'm going to be next year. Next year, I have to take Algebra I. Now, I could definitely be doing Algebra I this year, because I am smart enough. I tried Algebra I, and I know it all... It's just because before this year, I didn't try, and that hurt me. Badly. I'd do literally anything to be taking Algebra I right now. I'd cut off all my toes, go to summer schools, go to overnight schools, etc. I'm becomming to much of a perfectionist, I suppose. It just sickens me to see all these people that are just dinguses who don't care about mathematics at all. Infact a lot of them hate it.

My goal is to be taking AP Calculus in 12th grade. Thankfully, I will be able to. However, I also want to take AP Statistics. My current 'plan' can be found here:

I just want to be a surgeon. I'd do anything for it. I want to start my life over, and get good grades. I wish I could go back and tell myself I can do it. It's too late now.

There's too many classes that I want to take. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to take all of them. Just honors biology, honors chemistry, AP biology, Uconn Physics, and honors human anatomy. And for math Algebra I, Honors Algebra II, Honors Geometry, Honors Precalculus, AP Statistics, and AP Calculus. If I can take all those classes I'll be the happiest person in the world.

I've always known that I love science. Marine biology always interested me, ever since I can remember. I always wanted to be a marine biologist, but it doesn't pay that well and it looks a little bit too... messy. Surgery, however, looks great to me. I can't find another career that appeals to me more than that of a surgeon. I hate to admit it, but when I see a student in my grade working in an Algebra I textbook, I get extremely jealous and depressed. I can do that. I should be in that class right now. I know all the stuff we're doing right now.

Can I still be a surgeon? My parents have the money for college and all that, we're able to make it work. Also, does anyone have any advice for coping with the feelings that I have? Thank you very much for reading, a response is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Middle school and high school have no bearing on if you will become a surgeon or not. Don't worry man, do well in high school and graduate and go to college. Your grades in college matter, but no need to stress over that for four more years. Good luck, enjoy high school, and stay driven. Med school cannot see high school grades.

I wouldn't worry about your math situation, just keep working hard. As a sophomore in high school who wants to become an ophthalmologist, I would just suggest studying hard and getting good grades. Start to develop good study habits in high school. Work hard and maybe you could skip a class, for example, I skipped pre-algebra and went straight to algebra in middle school. Make sure to be involved in school activities that you love to do. Don't do it because a friend is, I learned that the hard way. Finally, understand that failure is okay, but never give up, even when times get rough. One last thing I would like to say is don't do a job for the money, do it because you love it. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in 8th grade. Grades 3-6 I pretty much failed school. I didn't try, I saw no meaning in living and was extremely depressed. I had no self confidence and believed I wasn't smart enough, so I didn't even try. 7th grade I started doing a bit better, but this year I am doing much, much better (except for P.E. that class sucks). I currently have a 101 in science and a 93 in math.

However, I'm not happy with where I'm going to be next year. Next year, I have to take Algebra I. Now, I could definitely be doing Algebra I this year, because I am smart enough. I tried Algebra I, and I know it all... It's just because before this year, I didn't try, and that hurt me. Badly. I'd do literally anything to be taking Algebra I right now. I'd cut off all my toes, go to summer schools, go to overnight schools, etc. I'm becomming to much of a perfectionist, I suppose. It just sickens me to see all these people that are just dinguses who don't care about mathematics at all. Infact a lot of them hate it.

My goal is to be taking AP Calculus in 12th grade. Thankfully, I will be able to. However, I also want to take AP Statistics. My current 'plan' can be found here:

I just want to be a surgeon. I'd do anything for it. I want to start my life over, and get good grades. I wish I could go back and tell myself I can do it. It's too late now.

There's too many classes that I want to take. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to take all of them. Just honors biology, honors chemistry, AP biology, Uconn Physics, and honors human anatomy. And for math Algebra I, Honors Algebra II, Honors Geometry, Honors Precalculus, AP Statistics, and AP Calculus. If I can take all those classes I'll be the happiest person in the world.

I've always known that I love science. Marine biology always interested me, ever since I can remember. I always wanted to be a marine biologist, but it doesn't pay that well and it looks a little bit too... messy. Surgery, however, looks great to me. I can't find another career that appeals to me more than that of a surgeon. I hate to admit it, but when I see a student in my grade working in an Algebra I textbook, I get extremely jealous and depressed. I can do that. I should be in that class right now. I know all the stuff we're doing right now.

Can I still be a surgeon? My parents have the money for college and all that, we're able to make it work. Also, does anyone have any advice for coping with the feelings that I have? Thank you very much for reading, a response is greatly appreciated.

You're in 8th grade—by no means do you need to be worrying about medical school right now. As others have said, the grades you receive in high school will not be seen my medical school admissions. As for your issue with not being able to take algebra I this year, I highly advise you to take a few deep breaths; it's not the end of the world. By the looks of your prospective course schedule, you'll be taking all the math and science that you need to and then some.

In regard to your wanting to become a surgeon, it's good to be interested in a few specific careers, but make sure—especially as an 8th grader—to keep your mind open; explore what interests you and what you are passionate about. There might be some career that you've never heard about that is more apt for your personality. You mentioned that you have an affinity for marine biology, yet you renounce your interest in the field because it's "messy" and "doesn't pay well"? Why do that? Surgery, to some degree, is also "messy." You also shouldn't let the salary of a job dictate whether or not you choose to do it. Money is indeed an aspect worth considering, but it's not all there is to it. Finding a job that makes you happy is paramount.

One more thing: why are you planning on taking honors biology and then AP biology? If you want to take it on the AP level, initially taking the honors course seems redundant, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey, buddy. Don't sweat it. Middle school has absolutely NO EFFECT on your chances of becoming a doctor. When you get to high school, the game changes slightly, but not much. You GPA and SAT/ACT scores will determine which college you get into; whether it's a good one or not. But ultimately, where you go to college is not the main factor that admission committees from med school take into consideration; it's your grades. But once you're in college, your medical life begins! College is the real deal, because the GPA (both overall and science) that you receive there WILL determine whether or not you get into med school. College is no joke, and you should start getting used to getting all A's. Making a few B's, especially in your science classes, could jeopardize your chances of getting into med school. But seeing that you are starting high school next year, my only advice to you is to make the best grades you can possible make. This will enable you to get into a good college that would rise your chances of becoming a surgeon. Forget your middle school days, because they account for absolutely nothing when considering your medical academics! Hope this helps! ;)